PDA

View Full Version : friend looking for a new cue, $200~ help him choos

mrgoochio
10-21-2007, 01:47 PM
Hey all, my friend is looking to buy his first cue. He wants to spend rougly $200~ (ideally not much more). I recommended mcdermott to him, and introduced him to sneaky petes. he really likes sneaky petes although he isn't completely sold on getting a mcdermott with only $200 to spend. I also suggested lucassi and meucci but I think hes just boggled with too many choices right now. Help me help him narrow it down, what would you guys be looking into? Thanks again in advance guys!

1Time
10-21-2007, 03:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mrgoochio:</font><hr> Hey all, my friend is looking to buy his first cue. He wants to spend rougly $200~ (ideally not much more). I recommended mcdermott to him, and introduced him to sneaky petes. he really likes sneaky petes although he isn't completely sold on getting a mcdermott with only $200 to spend. I also suggested lucassi and meucci but I think hes just boggled with too many choices right now. Help me help him narrow it down, what would you guys be looking into? Thanks again in advance guys! <hr /></blockquote>

If wanting a new cue that he can shoot better pool with than many other new cues, then I recommend the following. Call around and find out where the local places are that sells cues. Go to the ones that have a table out for their customers to shoot on with their new cues. The more cues tried out, the better. Buy from one of the local shops or buy online, whichever is better. Some shops will bargain with you if you quote a price online. I recommend getting a cue that warranties against warping. The last thing I would want is to buy a $200 cue that does not shoot as well for me as a $75 cue.

However, if he instead is wanting a new cue mostly for its looks or name brand and not for how well it plays for him as compared to other new cues, then I suggest just shopping online for one that warranties the cue against warping.

mrgoochio
10-23-2007, 11:24 PM
What do you all think of this Mcdermott sneaky pete? Its the Mcdermott 'Hustler', M1-1B, in their tournament series of cues:

http://mcdermottcue.com/M11B_a.asp

1Time
10-23-2007, 11:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mrgoochio:</font><hr> What do you all think of this Mcdermott sneaky pete? Its the Mcdermott 'Hustler', M1-1B, in their tournament series of cues:

http://mcdermottcue.com/M11B_a.asp

<hr /></blockquote>

That sneaky pete looks like a beauty. I used to shoot with a Dufferin sneaky pete on bar boxes. However, after switching to a regular cue with a pro taper on 9' tables, I've never wanted to switch back to a sneaky pete. Ever notice the pros on TV don't shoot with sneaky pete cues? They are good for not drawing a lot of attention in bars though. Other than that, I don't recommend them over other cues. Would be a shame though to buy that nice sneaky pete only to later find you shoot better with a $75 cue. But if you can't get out there and at least try a few first, then that's about all you can do.

sygfrid
10-24-2007, 12:15 AM
I suggest that you don't buy directly from the manufacturer but get them to other on-line wholesaler pool shops like biliardwarehouse.com, budgetcues.com, etc as they are way lot cheaper than the msrp.

The only problem with sneaky petes is that other people w/ untrained eyes often mistake sp's as house cues and tend to get them for their play. A friend of mine almost got into an argument `coz he's insisting that the sp is his and the other person wanted proof that the "house cue" is his. Good thing his sp has other inlays.

This one looks nice from billiardwarehouse.com &amp; it costs only $119 http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cues/images/bw8ptnowrap_sm.jpg

There's also a STINGER custom sneaky pete by Jerico Custom Cues from the same site:

http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cueobsessions/jerico/jerico_sp.htm

mrgoochio
10-24-2007, 03:20 AM
Pricing is not too much of a concern as my friend decided to just put $200~ away for his cue and is trying to go with a good/proven name brand whether he gets a 'regular cue' or a sneaky pete.. which is why hes looking at this mcdermott. I think he would definately like the design and feel of the mcdermott over the first cue you posted. Something about the color of inlay, wrap (that it has one), and joints dont look SP enough /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif. btw, i only listed the mcdermott sp from the official website for reference.. will definately order it somewhere else, thanks again

btw, that second SP from jerico custom cues looks pretty nice. would you all recommend it over the mcdermott?

Sid_Vicious
10-24-2007, 08:06 AM
"btw, that second SP from jerico custom cues looks pretty nice. would you all recommend it over the mcdermott?"

Definitely. sid

Snapshot9
10-24-2007, 08:08 AM
Here is a better deal on Jerico SP's: ($175 ea in lieu of $260 on billiard warehouse)

Brianna Products - Jerico SPs (http://www.briannaproducts.com/cues/jericocues.htm)

mrgoochio
10-24-2007, 04:55 PM
What makes the jerico SP so much better than the mcdermott? is the jerico name just better? or is that SP specifically a good one? is the jerico just better bang for the buck or is the cue itself better?

Snapshot9
10-25-2007, 06:25 AM
Because Jericos are made by Jerry Powers, a cuemaker, and McDermotts are made in a production factory environment.

1Time
10-25-2007, 02:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Snapshot9:</font><hr> Because Jericos are made by Jerry Powers, a cuemaker, and McDermotts are made in a production factory environment. <hr /></blockquote>

So which does this mean?
A) A $200 production cue will be of a better quality than a $200 cue maker's cue.
B) A $200 cue maker's cue will be of a better quality than a $200 production cue.
C) Any given player will play better with a $200 production cue than a $200 cue maker's cue.
D) Any given player will play better with a $200 cue maker's cue than a $200 production cue.
E) A and C.
F) B and D.
G) None of the above.

mrgoochio
10-25-2007, 03:29 PM
obviously none of the above for every given situation but i'm just wondering, if the jerico stinger SP has any tangible reason that its better then the mcdermott i posted. i'm talking quality of wood, construction, etc. I know its custom made, but is the craftsmanship in that specific cue better then the factory made mcdermott? i'm sure there are awesome custom cues and others that really just aren't worth purchasing.. every custom cue isn't a great cue

Warbler
10-25-2007, 10:31 PM
please forgive my ignorance. What is the different between a a regular play cue and a reserve play cue? On what type of shot would you use the reserve play cue?

1Time
10-25-2007, 10:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mrgoochio:</font><hr> I know its custom made, but is the craftsmanship in that specific cue better then the factory made mcdermott? <hr /></blockquote>

Who knows?

I mean really. How likely do you think it is that anyone here (or anyone at all) has owned both of those cues, gone to the makers of each, compared how they're made, compared exactly the quality of materials their made of, checked them to the nearest 0.001 inch for warpage over having owned them for any length of time, and played with them to see how well each cue played for him? And that doesn't even begin to tell the story of how well the cue would play for you or your friend.

The best way to resolve this is to buy 2 cues and check them out any way desired, and sell or return (if possible) the one not preferred. Otherwise, just go for it. Some here already have said the custom is a better cue, I have my doubts, but I have a thing against McDermott cues so I say go for the custom cue. If the custom cue maker warranties his cues, you can't go wrong... except for when you go to shoot with it and find (oops) you shoot better with a $75 production cue. Also, I recommend not blowing the whole pool budget on a cue and leave some cash left for changing tips, which can make a huge difference in how well any cue works out.

1Time
10-25-2007, 10:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Warbler:</font><hr> please forgive my ignorance. What is the different between a a regular play cue and a reserve play cue? On what type of shot would you use the reserve play cue? <hr /></blockquote>

This is Aims, Mister. We don't carry reserve play cues.

Snapshot9
10-26-2007, 05:59 AM
What you are calling a reserve play cue is probably meant to be a 'backup' playing cue, meaning you carry 2 playing cues, and if one gets broken, you have a 2nd one to use.

Most of the time, that is not necessary, since most players that are good, have 2 shafts for their playing cue.

You need to start simple and go from there!

You asked for opinions, and I gave mine, I have been playing 46 years, but if you want the McDermott, then get it.
Sneaky Petes can be a real good buy, and a good one will
play about like a $700 stick sometimes. I have one myself,
made by Bob Owen of Shurtz Cues.

Custom Cuemakers, in general, are usually considered to turn out better quality than a production manufacturing company, usually, but not always. Schons were custom, and now they are kind of half and half, and lots of players play with them.

$200-$250 is the very bottom range to get a cue with any quality to it. Lucasi's are a good starter cue, and many are in that price range.

By the way, cuemakers and retail cue shops alike may let you stroke with a cue, but not chalk it because new cues can be considered 'used' if they are chalked.

Warbler
10-26-2007, 04:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Snapshot9:</font><hr> What you are calling a reserve play cue is probably meant to be a 'backup' playing cue<hr /></blockquote>

thanks Snapshot. I called it a reserve play cue because that it said in sygfrid's sig.

Snapshot9
10-27-2007, 07:56 AM
No problem, and if I can help you in any other way, don't hestitate to ask! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BrakenRun
11-01-2007, 04:58 AM
I would say try out a Joss sneaky pete. I think they are the best hitting cue for the price out there. You will see them on Ebay for around $200 and sometimes a little less. You might even be able to find a better deal on some cue sites on the web. They hit very solid and are very durable. Kevin