PDA

View Full Version : What playing style do you prefer?

Eric.
10-24-2007, 09:45 AM
What kind of player are you?

This isn't to say who thinks what style is "better", more like which style suits you.

Bob Henning, in his book The Pro Book, uses 3 categories of players; the Percentage player, the Defensive player and the Shotmaker. The names are self explanatory. The idea is assuming that you are a decent player (i.e. the shotmaker knows when to play safe and the defensive player can run more than 2 balls before ducking) and these are your tendencies.

I've always been a Percentage player. Lately, I've been wondering if I should lean more towards being a shotmaker. I got this thought after hearing the US Open interview of Shane VB saying that he felt he would get the worst of a safety battle with Ronnie Alcano, so he figured to take more shots. I've noticed that generally, that is Shanes tendencies anyway. For example, shots he shot that I would estimate to be 50/50 shots (maybe 60/40 for him), he would shoot and more times than not, they worked out.

I'm starting to think I might need to be a lil more aggressive?

Eric

Caromsoft
10-24-2007, 10:51 AM
I am a shotmaker myself. I think that players might just fall naturally into one of the styles based on their perceptions at the table. I see shots that can be made even when they might look crazy or foolish to another player. The defensive shot just doesn't pop into my head in the same way, and I don't think in percentages at all. I have been trying to find more defensive plays recently, especially when taking a shot is just a Hail Mary.

okinawa77
10-24-2007, 11:58 AM
I think you need incorporate all of these styles.

I adapt my game to the environment:
If the tables are giving me trouble, then I will play more defensive. Or if my opponent is in a rhythm, I will play defensively in order to get my opponent to miss shots and get out of rhythm.
If I am shooting well, I may run out. Or if my opponent can get out of hooks very well, I will opt to run out.
If I am unsure of my opponent's skill set and/or table conditions, I will play "Double Edged" shots (both offensive and defensive).

Jager85
10-24-2007, 11:59 AM
I am normally a shot maker, but have been working on expanding that to percentage play. I have the cue ball angle control to play safeties when needed, but the speed can be a little bit off and miss the safety completely. I started working on my safeties recently and my overall game went way down. As I got better with the speed control I started leaning into percentage play really as that seems to be ideal in any given game. Playing 8-ball really makes it hard as there is alot more strategy required.

With usually being a shot maker, running 6 balls and not having shape on a tough 7th ball was not unlikely in my game. This is an instant loss. This got me to realize that safeties need to be planned as early as possible and if you are running, run out.

SKennedy
10-24-2007, 12:38 PM
Varies depending upon opponent, table, and in general how I'm shooting at that particular moment. In general, I'm as aggressive as I can be. Many times I'm too aggressive, which is perhaps why I've lost 5 straight games in my last 2 matches....and then again, maybe I just suck right now. Last night I took the safer route in a game instead of taking a lower percentage shot. I lost anyway and kicked myself for not taking the shot I really wanted to take. I was also thinking way too much at the table....and very little execution.

dg-in-centralpa
10-24-2007, 01:05 PM
One where I can win? Seriously, I'm more of a percentage player. I've tried to be aggressive but it usually doesn't work for me.

DG

dr_dave
10-24-2007, 01:15 PM
I think there are more than 3 categories of player. I propose "Smart, Creative, and Successful." This is the type of player I aspire to be. This player has enough experience, knowledge, and creativity to identify and evaluate all of the options available on every shot. He or she also makes the best choice, based on his or her ability, on every shot. Finally, he or she has the composure, focus, and competitive drive (and all of the other "intangibles") necessary to be successful.

Dave
(aspiring to be a "Smart, Creative, and Successful" pool player)

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> What kind of player are you?

This isn't to say who thinks what style is "better", more like which style suits you.

Bob Henning, in his book The Pro Book, uses 3 categories of players; the Percentage player, the Defensive player and the Shotmaker. The names are self explanatory. The idea is assuming that you are a decent player (i.e. the shotmaker knows when to play safe and the defensive player can run more than 2 balls before ducking) and these are your tendencies.

I've always been a Percentage player. Lately, I've been wondering if I should lean more towards being a shotmaker. I got this thought after hearing the US Open interview of Shane VB saying that he felt he would get the worst of a safety battle with Ronnie Alcano, so he figured to take more shots. I've noticed that generally, that is Shanes tendencies anyway. For example, shots he shot that I would estimate to be 50/50 shots (maybe 60/40 for him), he would shoot and more times than not, they worked out.

I'm starting to think I might need to be a lil more aggressive?

Eric
<hr /></blockquote>

SpiderMan
10-24-2007, 01:32 PM
I believe agressiveness is quite relative. My BCA 8-ball team captain is a master-level player, and he generally attempts to run out if he makes a ball on the break. I see some of his game plans as extremely aggressive, but because of his skills and experience these patterns may actually be high percentage. His winning percentage, against an identical group of players, is certainly higher than mine.

SpiderMan

Fran Crimi
10-24-2007, 01:48 PM
I'm a shotmaker. It's how I enjoy playing the game the most. I try not to get stupid about it, but yes, I probably do take the occasional shot I shouldn't. But hey, for every one I blow, I probably make 10 big shots that give me pure joy, not to mention some wins to go along with it.

Buddy Hall once told me it's very hard to win if you're not having fun.

Works for me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Fran

dg-in-centralpa
10-24-2007, 06:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr>

<hr /></blockquote>

I like that quote. My team has the same attitude. We know that we can't make a living playing in leagues, so we have a good bunch of guys and our attitude is, "It's just a f&amp;*%$ing game."

DG - and the way I shot at the CCB tournament, I'd never make it to the pro level LOL

Greg in VA
10-25-2007, 05:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> I'm a shotmaker. It's how I enjoy playing the game the most. I try not to get stupid about it, but yes, I probably do take the occasional shot I shouldn't. But hey, for every one I blow, I probably make 10 big shots that give me pure joy, not to mention some wins to go along with it.

Works for me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Fran
<hr /></blockquote>

Good posting!

Snapshot9
10-25-2007, 06:08 AM
Shane made the right decision, he probably would get the worst of a safety battle with Ronnie, but in making that decision, he is playing the percentages: that his shotmaking would outplay Ronnie's defensive skills. He simply optimized his game for the situation.

And that is what I do. I make evaluations of a match I am playing, and decide on the strategy I need to imploy to gain the advantage in the game, and in the match. I usually just run out, but if something isn't working, like my break, and the opponent is running out, then some safety play may take him off his rhythm, and allow me to get back in the game.

Although generally rare, I have, at times, when I have been down a lot in a match, pull out all the stops, and just go to a totally shotmaking mode, sometimes even surprising myself with some of the shots I made, but basically I am a percentage player, BUT, and it is a big but, how we decide between offense or defense is subjective within ones self, and no two people probably do it the same.