PDA

View Full Version : Pool cues

Drop1
10-25-2007, 06:57 PM
What are the differences between a playing cue,a jump cue,a masse cue,and cue for breaking? Is there a special cue for trick shots? I would appreciate some input on this one,

Deeman3
10-25-2007, 07:34 PM
Harry,

In my case:

A regular cue is a 19 oz. Shoen with a 13mm sniper tip that is 58" long. Went to the sniper earlier this year, almost by accident after 40+ years with only water Buffalos. I love this tip.

A Break Cue is a 17 oz. Meucci with a very hard water buff. tip also 13mm that just happens to be 57" long (The old standard length)

A Jump Cue is a 44" no name brand with a phenolic tip I picked up at the Expo a few years ago. I prefer to use my regular cue but use this when the balls are just too close to the cue ball.

A Masse (to me Billiard Cue) is a 52" stiff spined Adams with a very stiff spine and no pro taper and 14mm at the tip.

A Snooker Cue is a 58" jointed cue I bought in England about 12 years ago and it has a natural taper with an 11mm leather tip and brass ferrule and joint. This cue is made of Ash, I believe. You can draw the doo doo out a pool cue ball but it is not very accurate at speed for me.

I don't typically do tricks shots but the Adams is nice for masse and forced draw shots.

Drop1
10-25-2007, 08:07 PM
When you go out to play some pool,how many cues do you take with you. Is there a regulation,as to the width of cue tips,in tournament play?

Deeman3
10-25-2007, 08:25 PM
I take my schoen with two shafts, my break cue and my jump cue along with a bridge head that I put on the end of the jump cue when needed. I do not believe there is a rule limit to the size/diameter of a tip but for practical reasons, about 14.5mm seems to be the largest used.

Some tournaments I play in will limit, for instance, no use of jump cues. I believe some leagues, like APA does not allow more then one cue. Most open tournaments are pretty liberal but some do not allow phenolic tips, for instance.

1hit1der
10-26-2007, 09:35 AM
In general, a playing cue is 58 inches long and weighs between 18 and 21 oz. The tip is usually leather and between 11 and 13 mm diameter. All the fine details are personal preferences (exact weight, balance point, etc).

A jump cue is shorter and lighter than a playing cue. The BCA minimum length is 40 inches, so most jump cues are around that. They tend to have phenolic tips, or at least tips that are harder than usual, and stiff shafts. I've seen jump cues as light as 4-5 oz.

A masse cue can be anywhere in between in length, but is generally heavier than a normal playing cue, or at least on the heavier end of the spectrum. The shaft is stiff and the tip is large. More on masse cues:

http://www.cuemaker.com/whatizzmasse.htm

A break cue is similar in length to a playing cue, but has a hard tip, like the jump cues. This is why they'll make jump/break cues. The hard tip allows for maximum energy transfer to the cue ball (and hence the rack as well).

For most of my trick shots, I use a normal playing cue. McDermott, 19oz, Tiger Sniper tip. Of course, there's a range of jump shots and masses that require special cues. Check them out:

SKennedy
10-26-2007, 09:56 AM
I recently bought my first breaking/jump cue with a phenolic tip. I was somewhat skeptical, so I spent a sum total of about $80 on it. It is 18 oz. Not only do I like it, but I've had others try it and they comment about how much they like it and several have indicated they prefer it over their expensive break/jump cues. I don't remember the brand and do not have it near me at the moment. I've really been impressed with my $80 investment!!

Jager85
10-26-2007, 12:15 PM
I am curious, does anybody know the tip softness rating on a Masse cue? I would assume it is very soft, or medium soft.

Deeman3
10-26-2007, 12:18 PM
The tip on my billiard cue is an Elkmaster, the softest I am aware of.

dr_dave
10-26-2007, 12:23 PM
FYI, you can find answers to most of your questions (and others) under "cue" here (http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads.html).

Regards,
Dave

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> What are the differences between a playing cue,a jump cue,a masse cue,and cue for breaking? Is there a special cue for trick shots? I would appreciate some input on this one,<hr /></blockquote>

1hit1der
10-26-2007, 01:05 PM
I have two shafts for my masse cue, one is a Tiger Sniper and the other is a Triangle. They both work fine though I usually end up using the Sniper. On some of the harder tips, I have had chunks of them come off.

1Time
10-26-2007, 01:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1hit1der:</font><hr> I have two shafts for my masse cue, one is a Tiger Sniper and the other is a Triangle. They both work fine though I usually end up using the Sniper. On some of the harder tips, I have had chunks of them come off. <hr /></blockquote>

So is the Triangle tip harder than the Tiger Sniper tip, and why do you prefer the Tiger Sniper?

Rich R.
10-26-2007, 06:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> Some tournaments I play in will limit, for instance, no use of jump cues. I believe some leagues, like APA does not allow more then one cue. Most open tournaments are pretty liberal but some do not allow phenolic tips, for instance. <hr /></blockquote>
The APA allows the use of a playing cue and a break cue. They do not allow jump cues for normal league play, however, they are allowed in the Masters' League.
IIRC, the official world rules allow a player to use 3 cues during a match. This would cover a playing cue, a break cue and a jump cue.
BTW, there is no rule concerning the diameter of a tip. There are rules covering the minimum length for a cue and the maximum weight.

1hit1der
10-26-2007, 06:08 PM
The Triangle is often referred to as med-hard, but it is harder than the Sniper. I get more feedback from the Sniper, I can feel it more on the cue ball. With a harder tip, it feels more like the cue ball is just shooting out from underneath the stick when you hit it. I've heard the harder tips make jump-masses easier, but once you get it down, it's not that difficult with a soft tip either.

Snapshot9
10-27-2007, 07:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> Some tournaments I play in will limit, for instance, no use of jump cues. I believe some leagues, like APA does not allow more then one cue. Most open tournaments are pretty liberal but some do not allow phenolic tips, for instance. <hr /></blockquote>
The APA allows the use of a playing cue and a break cue. They do not allow jump cues for normal league play, however, they are allowed in the Masters' League.
IIRC, the official world rules allow a player to use 3 cues during a match. This would cover a playing cue, a break cue and a jump cue.
BTW, there is no rule concerning the diameter of a tip. There are rules covering the minimum length for a cue and the maximum weight. <hr /></blockquote>

I know the BCA rules limit tip sizes to 14mm maximum, which is the normal maximum used on break and jump cues.