PDA

View Full Version : Prayer...

S0Noma
10-27-2007, 03:27 PM
http://davidmaxfreedman.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/award_winning_tits_1.jpg

Drop1
10-27-2007, 07:40 PM
"The act of a single petitioner,confessedly unworthy seeking that the laws of Nature be reversed in his favor" {Ambrose Ber ce"."The Devil's Dictionary"

cushioncrawler
10-28-2007, 06:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> "The act of a single petitioner,confessedly unworthy seeking that the laws of Nature be reversed in his favor" {Ambrose Ber ce"."The Devil's Dictionary" <hr /></blockquote>Yeah -- But it works, just ask Aaron Baddeley and all of the other jeezuz freaks on the golf tour. In fakt, the high proportion of jeezus freaks on the pga tour virtually proovz the power of prayer.

Hmmmm -- When the time kumz when every pro-golfer iz a jeezus freak, will prayer still work?? Perhaps themz that prayz most will win. Or, themz that praktis while the otherz are praying.

I wonder, did greg ever get down on hiz knees and pray to win the US Open -- Corey did, he even got on hiz knees in the middle of the 18th fairway, and greg came second. madMac.

Wally_in_Cincy
10-29-2007, 06:36 AM
You obviously know the truth about God and prayer. Care to share some more for us unenlightened rubes?

DickLeonard
10-29-2007, 06:51 AM
MadMac the PGA golfers are all Republicans, they are a sad lot. Their TV days are numbered they can't draw flies, for years they got away with the demographics. The average watcher of Golf income was in the 6 figures, then they learned that they don't spend it.

NASCAR is booting them to the cable channels.####

S0Noma
10-29-2007, 07:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> You obviously know the truth about God and prayer. Care to share some more for us unenlightened rubes? <hr /></blockquote>

I seriously doubt that you consider yourself or the others here to be either unenlightened or rubes. As to your first question? Which god, Wally? There are thousands to choose from. And your second? This picture speaks to my opinion - you can draw your own conclusions.
http://i21.tinypic.com/21cikpw.jpg

Gayle in MD
10-29-2007, 07:28 AM
Where is the picture, friend. It doesn't show up for me.

Gayle in Md.

S0Noma
10-29-2007, 09:08 AM
should work now, Gayle.

Gayle in MD
10-29-2007, 10:26 AM
LOL, pretty funny.

Thanks,
/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

S0Noma
10-29-2007, 10:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> LOL, pretty funny.

Thanks,
/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks Gayle - while I'm stepping on toes - here's another one of my favorites:

http://i20.tinypic.com/29kywsj.jpg

Wally_in_Cincy
10-29-2007, 10:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote S0Noma:</font><hr> I seriously doubt that you consider yourself or the others here to be either unenlightened or rubes. <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah that was sarcasm. You figured that out all by yourself?

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote S0Noma:</font><hr> And your second? This picture speaks to my opinion - you can draw your own conclusions.
<hr /></blockquote>

You are correct. Instead of praying we should all contact Washington.

Your picture says prayer is about doing nothing. You know, most prayers are probably about health issues, from what I have seen. Seeing as how most of us are not doctors I am not sure what we are supposed to do.

You certainly have every right to believe whatever you want but it is a bit callous to categorize Christians as buffoons. You must enjoy "stepping on toes". Maybe you should take the same tactic to some of your Muslim brothers out there in NoCal and see what kind of reaction you get.

Good luck.

S0Noma
10-29-2007, 11:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote S0Noma:</font><hr> I seriously doubt that you consider yourself or the others here to be either unenlightened or rubes. <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah that was sarcasm. You figured that out all by yourself?

<font color="blue">The sarcasm thing didn't work too well the first time but hey - if it helps you to feel better? Go for it. </font color>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote S0Noma:</font><hr> And your second? This picture speaks to my opinion - you can draw your own conclusions.
<hr /></blockquote>

You are correct. Instead of praying we should all contact Washington.

<font color="blue">Action is action - whether it's contacting the political powers that be or addressing problems on your own initiative - it's still going to be more effective than praying. </font color>

Your picture says prayer is about doing nothing. You know, most prayers are probably about health issues, from what I have seen. Seeing as how most of us are not doctors I am not sure what we are supposed to do.

<font color="blue">If you mean that people pray when they feel hopeless and helpless? I agree. It's the part where they actually think some invisible being is listening and will act accordingly that I take issue with.</font color>

You certainly have every right to believe whatever you want but it is a bit callous to categorize Christians as buffoons.
<font color="blue">Never said I thought all Xtians were buffoons. But the ones who think that the Bible should be taken as the literal word of god and that everything in it is the absolute truth? They come as close to meeting my buffoon definition as anyone I know. </font color>

You must enjoy "stepping on toes".
<font color="blue">I've had my toes stepped on plenty of times and never said a word. If you're hearing an 'ouch' from me on the Xtian fundamentalist thing for the first time? Try and get over it. </font color>

Maybe you should take the same tactic to some of your Muslim brothers out there in NoCal and see what kind of reaction you get.

<font color="blue">Will be more than happy to. Will be even more inclined to do so if and when they actively help to elect an evangelical Muslim to the office of President of the United States. Meanwhile, it's the Xtian fundies who have come out in favor of wielding political influence in this country and it's them that I'm most interested in criticizing.

Hope this helps. </font color>
<hr /></blockquote>

Wally_in_Cincy
10-29-2007, 11:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote S0Noma:</font><hr> It's the part where they actually think some invisible being is listening and will act accordingly that I take issue with.

<hr /></blockquote>

You have an "issue" with? Why should you care if people believe in God?

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote S0Noma:</font><hr>
If you're hearing an 'ouch' from me on the Xtian fundamentalist thing for the first time? Try and get over it.

<hr /></blockquote>

Never got under it.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote S0Noma:</font><hr> Will be even more inclined to do so if and when they actively help to elect an evangelical Muslim to the office of President of the United States. Meanwhile, it's the Xtian fundies who have come out in favor of wielding political influence in this country and it's them that I'm most interested in criticizing.

<hr /></blockquote>

so it's all about Bush?

should have guessed.

S0Noma
10-29-2007, 11:38 AM
Try to think a little harder Wally - it's not that simple - nor that easy. Come on, you can do it, I know you can.

wolfdancer
10-29-2007, 01:31 PM
Wally, it's no secret that Richard is not a believer...and I don't try to hide the fact that I am a strayed Catholic (one can only handle so much guilt)...but I think this board a poor vehicle for debating what is a personal choice for most people.I don't think, as you insinuate that because one is not a Christian...they then must welcome the Islamic faith.
I have the Joseph Campbell "Power of Myth" DVDs...I don't want to argue their merits...just that I find them interesting.
Here's Colm Wilkinson on prayer....

web page (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD5lLV7bHSo)

SKennedy
10-29-2007, 01:36 PM
We are all entitled to our opinions and beliefs. I would just like to state that science and faith are not mutually exclusive.
And yes, I do believe the Bible and take it literally. If you don't that is fine, but I would not make fun of you just because you do not agree with me. Don't lump all "so-called" christians together. I have good atheist friends I like and prefer over some that call themselves "christians." My atheist friends do respect me and my beliefs because they know I try not to be hypocritical (note that I did not indicate I am always successful) and I try not to be judgemental. One of my non-believing friends recently told me about a mutual friend who was telling him about comitting adultry and getting blow-jobs in a parking lot, and the very next day was reading to him from the Bible trying to "convert" him. I have no respect for that.
And as for prayer....while I may be an idiot and may be wasting unsolicited valuable time, I will pray for you. After all, if I'm wrong then the worst that can happen is that I'm a fool.
Otherwise, I enjoy your intelligent posts and know that you are sincere. I also enjoy the photos, even when I disagree with their message.

Gayle in MD
10-29-2007, 02:19 PM
A good post, however, it would go a long way if christians, and Muslims, and Mormans, and all other believers, would try to understand that their mistake is to endeavor to dictate to all others in our country, through their political maneuverings, to try to legislate their opinions into laws for all others to be forced to abide, or to use their religious opinions as a means to degrade or punish others. It has been my experience that the religious are the ones who are not satisfied with having their own opinions, and allowing others the same right, not the other way around. They are the ones who seek some kind of public mandate, to support their ideology.

If you choose to believe that a man can live inside a whale, for example, atleast keep your kool, and expect it, when others, reasonably, think it is nuts to believe such an outrageous idea.

Everyone has a right to their opinion, just no right to force it upon others, or use it as a hammer against others. That's what some religions do in Arabia, and also right here in America. That is why our founders believed that church and state, should be separate, perfectly separate, favoring no particular religion, or ideology, and forbidding no particular religion or ideology, nor, no religion affiliation at all.

And, yes, Science does fly in the face of a great deal of religious belief, and faith, and often. Hence, science has long been the targeted enemy, of organized religion, and is to this day. Through the ages, many have been jailed, and worse, when evidence was scientifically presented, which contradicted religious doctrine, and dogma, teachings, philosophy, whatever one wishes to call it.

[ QUOTE ]
And as for prayer....while I may be an idiot and may be wasting unsolicited valuable time, I will pray for you. After all, if I'm wrong then the worst that can happen is that I'm a fool.
<hr /></blockquote>
Believe me when I say, the worst that can happen is much worse than that. Now that organized religion has taken a seat at the political table of our national elections, they, and you, can do a great deal of damage to the world, as many of the issues that must be addressed, are impacted by such things as birth control, abortion, over population, pollution, global warming, and even whether or not people should begin to drop bombs on one another.

Christians surely didn't respect the religious philosophies of Islamists through the ages. Christians must learn to give to other religions the same respect which they think that only their particular religion deserves. Christians have been just as much a part of the pointless religious ideological struggles through the ages, as any other religion, and have committed just as many atrocities.

Gayle in Md.

Wally_in_Cincy
10-29-2007, 03:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> I think this board a poor vehicle for debating what is a personal choice for most people. <hr /></blockquote>

I certainly agree with that. Please note, I did not start this thread.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr>I don't think, as you insinuate that because one is not a Christian...they then must welcome the Islamic faith.
<hr /></blockquote>

What I meant was this. This guy can come on here and insult Christians (post #6), and he might get some grief but generally the folks who are insulted will shake it off.

Do this to a certain segment of the Muslim population and you may get your head cut off.

It was probably not pertinent to the debate in retrospect.

Wally_in_Cincy
10-29-2007, 03:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote S0Noma:</font><hr> Try to think a little harder Wally - it's not that simple - nor that easy. Come on, you can do it, I know you can. <hr /></blockquote>

Don't get your point. Guess I am a rube after all.

SKennedy
10-29-2007, 06:07 PM
I have never forced my opinions or beliefs on anyone....other than maybe my opinions on politics in these posts for amusement more than anything else....And I agree with you on many of your comments. Many of those who claim to be doing the "work of the Lord" are not, and in many cases do much more harm than good. If you ask me about my faith and wish to discuss it with me, I'd be happy to do so. I do not however, force it on anyone, and those that do are wrong. And...I don't legislate or dictate to anyone, including my own family.
And wolfie....if your religion, or beliefs made you feel guilty, then something is wrong. My beliefs liberate me and provide me with freedom from guilt. I am surprised that as a catholic, former or otherwise, you were made to feel that way (and you mentioned this in a previous post as well). Most catholics (I'm not catholic by the way) are some of the most grounded and well-rounded individuals I have known.

S0Noma
10-29-2007, 06:33 PM
Excellent post Gayle.

Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from H.L. Mencken:

[ QUOTE ]
"Not by accident does Genesis 3 make the father of knowledge a serpent -- slimy, sneaking and abominable. Since the earliest days the church as an organization has thrown itself violently against every effort to liberate the body and mind of man. It has been, at all times and everywhere, the habitual and incorrigible defender of bad governments, bad laws, bad social theories, bad institutions. It was, for centuries, an apologist for slavery, as it was the apologist for the divine right of kings." <hr /></blockquote> <font color="red"> </font color> <font color="blue"> </font color>

cushioncrawler
10-29-2007, 08:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SKennedy:</font><hr>...My beliefs liberate me and provide me with freedom from guilt. I am surprised that as a catholic, former or otherwise, you were made to feel that way (and you mentioned this in a previous post as well). Most catholics (I'm not catholic by the way) are some of the most grounded and well-rounded individuals I have known.<hr /></blockquote>Dear God.
I beleev that the world dont count.
I beleev that the world and animals and nature are just there to help test us.
I beleev that the only place that counts iz heaven.
And the soonerer that the end time kumz the betterer.
Love u heaps.
See u soon. Amen.
Oh, nearly forgot, pleez heal my sore knees.
madMac.

wolfdancer
10-29-2007, 08:04 PM
Does this mean that you and Gayle are not bowing to Mecca, the requisite 5 times per day?
May the fleas then, of a thousand camels infest your tents!!

SKennedy
10-29-2007, 08:11 PM
Snakes are not slimy. And, don't confuse religious organizations with deity. Religious organizations are run by men. Hence what you quote is true and harm has been done, but there is good too.
You guys go ahead and do your general bashing against all christianity. You'll get no further comments from me on "religion." ....something about pearls before swine. You'll believe what you want and you'll never get me, or any true believer to agree with you. I expect the majority of those reading these posts will disagree with your general statements as a whole about christianity. And with that, you diminish any significant impact or credibility you would have on other topics as well.
I'll reserve all future opinions only to those related to politics and billiards.

Gayle in MD
10-29-2007, 08:33 PM
Does that mean we'd have more credibility with you if we said that we believed a man can live inside of whale?

Believing the bible, literally, is a far far reach, to say the least.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

wolfdancer
10-29-2007, 08:43 PM
Here's a woman that needs your prayers:
web page (http://www.toostupidtobepresident.com/shockwave/obgyn.htm)

Qtec
10-29-2007, 08:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SKennedy:</font><hr> We are all entitled to our opinions and beliefs. I would just like to state that science and faith are not mutually exclusive.
And yes, I do believe the Bible and take it literally. <hr /></blockquote>

Which version of the Bible do you take literally? There are many.
History shows that the victors write history and always with bias. That goes for religions as well. The Bible we have today was the one the Roman Catholics gave to us. Its not necessarily fact.
If Jesus had said,"avoid organized Religion because eventually it becomes self serving', do you think they would have left that in?

The recent [ the last 10 years] series of Priests being brought up on abuse charges and the efforts made by the Church to hide these abuses from the public eye is a classic example. They moved these pedophiles from Parish to Parish to avoid the scandal and at the same time ruined the lives of 1,000s of children! There is no excuse for that and I hope they all burn in hell.

The Bible was written by man and audited by subsequent Religious institutions, therefor it MUST be flawed.

Q

Gayle in MD
10-29-2007, 09:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Bible was written by man and audited by subsequent Religious institutions, therefor it MUST be flawed.

Q
<hr /></blockquote>
Amen! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

S0Noma
10-29-2007, 10:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SKennedy:</font><hr> Snakes are not slimy. And, don't confuse religious organizations with deity. Religious organizations are run by men. Hence what you quote is true and harm has been done, but there is good too.
You guys go ahead and do your general bashing against all christianity. You'll get no further comments from me on "religion." ....something about pearls before swine. You'll believe what you want and you'll never get me, or any true believer to agree with you. I expect the majority of those reading these posts will disagree with your general statements as a whole about christianity. And with that, you diminish any significant impact or credibility you would have on other topics as well.
I'll reserve all future opinions only to those related to politics and billiards. <hr /></blockquote>

Well said, I will respect your decision and not address you directly with any further comments about your religious views. On the other hand I will also continue to speak openly about my own views - if this diminishes my credibility in your eyes or the eyes of others here? I am prepared to take that risk.

If it matters - even though you and I have had very little interaction so far? I have found your commentary well written, diplomatically phrased and worth reading.

I respect your right to express your opinions - regardless of whether I may agree with them or not.

S0Noma
10-29-2007, 10:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SKennedy:</font><hr> We are all entitled to our opinions and beliefs. I would just like to state that science and faith are not mutually exclusive.
And yes, I do believe the Bible and take it literally. <hr /></blockquote>

Which version of the Bible do you take literally? There are many.
History shows that the victors write history and always with bias. That goes for religions as well. The Bible we have today was the one the Roman Catholics gave to us. Its not necessarily fact.
If Jesus had said,"avoid organized Religion because eventually it becomes self serving', do you think they would have left that in?

The recent [ the last 10 years] series of Priests being brought up on abuse charges and the efforts made by the Church to hide these abuses from the public eye is a classic example. They moved these pedophiles from Parish to Parish to avoid the scandal and at the same time ruined the lives of 1,000s of children! There is no excuse for that and I hope they all burn in hell.

Q <hr /></blockquote>

Q, as you may well know, the Bible as we know it today is fraught with many errors. It is, after all, a compilation of many separate books - many more books were left out than have been included. These choices were made by human beings with human weaknesses - not an invisible and infallible sky being.

One of my personal favorites (although trivial) was the inclusion of unicorns when the King James version was written. Prior to the KJV unicorns were never mentioned in earlier biblical translations. So, how come they suddenly 'appeared'? Some scholars believe it was due to the fact that the English were firm believers in the myth of the unicorn (as were many Europeans at that time) and felt it their duty to work it into the text.

Just a little biblical trivia - kind of amusing if you ask me.

Gayle in MD
10-29-2007, 10:39 PM
Thanks, good quote.

Gayle in MD
10-29-2007, 10:44 PM
I still can't believe people voted for him. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Gayle in MD
10-29-2007, 10:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And, don't confuse religious organizations with deity. Religious organizations are run by men. Hence what you quote is true and harm has been done, but there is good too.
<hr /></blockquote>

But you say that you take the bible literally, and, just as organized religion is run by men, the bible was written by men.

nAz
10-30-2007, 02:01 AM
http://www.religiouscartoons.net/albums/userpics/coincidence.png

http://www.religiouscartoons.net/albums/userpics/gettingIntoHeavenRules.png

Wally_in_Cincy
10-30-2007, 06:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SKennedy:</font><hr> don't confuse religious organizations with deity. Religious organizations are run by men. Hence what you quote is true and harm has been done, but there is good too.
You guys go ahead and do your general bashing against all christianity. You'll get no further comments from me on "religion." ....something about pearls before swine. <hr /></blockquote>

Well stated.

I am glad these folks have it all figured out because I will admit that I do not. But I am not arrogant and prideful to the point of mocking their beliefs in such a distasteful fashion as they do ours.

Wally &lt;~~ toothless rube

Qtec
10-30-2007, 07:31 AM
Given your post, I don't see how you can say "I do believe the Bible and take it literally.".
eg, Was the world made in six days?
Was woman created from Adam's rib?
etc

Q

SKennedy
10-30-2007, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the kind words...and I respect your position also.
And Q is right about unicorns....

wolfdancer
10-30-2007, 08:57 AM
It also seems that God was too busy protecting GWB to help out
the Coors Tribe last week. This is from a 2006 story..
In a remarkable article from Wednesday's USA Today, the Colorado Rockies went public with the news that the organization has been explicitly looking for players with "character." And according to the Tribe of Coors, "character" means accepting Jesus Christ as your personal lord and savior. "We're nervous, to be honest with you," Rockies general manager Dan O'Dowd said. "It's the first time we ever talked about these issues publicly. The last thing we want to do is offend anyone because of our beliefs." When people are nervous that they will offend you with their beliefs, it's usually because their beliefs are offensive.

As Rockies chairman and CEO Charlie Monfort said, "We had to go to hell and back to know where the Holy Grail is. We went through a tough time and took a lot of arrows."

Gayle in MD
10-30-2007, 09:00 AM
Q,
did you mean to post this to SKennedy?

S0Noma
10-30-2007, 09:27 AM
Gayle, I sorta, kinda, doubt it. Not with me posting these uber-offensive pics:

http://i21.tinypic.com/wbw6iu.jpg

Qtec
10-30-2007, 09:40 AM
Yes. my mistake.

Thanx G

Q

Gayle in MD
10-30-2007, 10:09 AM
I don't know if you may have read John Dean's book, Without Conscience but there is a great deal of documentation about authoritarian types, authoritarian followers, and the rather sick psychological flaws present in such personality types.

I had done quite a bit of reading about the subject years ago, but in light of the recent horrible stories about the Catholic church, and also this Neocon ideology, and the presence of the Christian Coalition in American political affairs, the subject matter was extremely interesting.

We've all known the types, hard ass Dad's, abusive husbands, over the top police violence, and well, then there's George Bush, the first president to refuse to define torture, and use secret tactics with known torturing nations, to cover up his use of torture.

While I can find some things to admire about organized religion, I don't understand how people can use the bible, to justify almost anything, and believe in it literally. It is truyl beyond my comprehension. That people did not leave the Catholic Church, in droves, over their support of pedofiles, is a mystery to me. Observing Americans, defend the use of torture, also, just as repulsive. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

cushioncrawler
10-31-2007, 03:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> History shows that the victors write history and always with bias. That goes for religions as well. The Bible we have today was the one the Roman Catholics gave to us. Its not necessarily fact. If Jesus had said,"avoid organized Religion because eventually it becomes self serving', do you think they would have left that in?<hr /></blockquote>A couple of my billiardz mates beleev every word of the bible, and hate organized religion, particularly the RC church. They say that religion iz between u and god, and duznt concern anyone else. madMac.

S0Noma
10-31-2007, 04:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cushioncrawler:</font><hr> A couple of my billiardz mates beleev every word of the bible, and hate organized religion, particularly the RC church. They say that religion iz between u and god, and duznt concern anyone else. madMac. <hr /></blockquote>

Trouble is that it's damned near impossible to believe EVERY word of the Bible. Take Leviticus for example - lots of xtians love to quote Leviticus when they feel like slamming gays. But, that's not all that Leviticus has to say -
----------------------------------------------------

[ QUOTE ]
Proof that fundamentalists selectively quote the Bible:

A lesson about the book of Leviticus . . .

Homophobic fundamentalists often quote two particular verses that seem to be against gay people. These two verses, both of which appear in the book of Leviticus, are . . .

"You shall not lie with a male as with a woman. It is an abomination." (Leviticus 18:22)

and . . .

"If a man lie with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them." (Leviticus 20:13)

Below, we'll take a look at other scripture verses that are in the exact same book (Leviticus) as the above verse. This exercise proves that those preachers who are so enthusiastic about quoting the book of Leviticus to affirm their personal prejudice against people who are gay or lesbian become awfully quiet when it comes to other verses that appear in the very same book.

Remember, this isn't about faith whatsoever. It's about people who have pre-existing anti-gay prejudice in their hearts. They choose the Christian Bible as the tool which which they attempt to affirm and legitimize that pre-existing prejudice.

Sadly, the truth is that they just don't like gay people.
----------------------
<font color="red">"For everyone who curses his father or his mother shall surely be put to death. He has cursed his father or his mother. His blood shall be upon him." (Leviticus 20:9) </font color>

Imagine what would happen today if we killed every child who was disrespectful to his parents. Fundamentalists explain this verse away, saying that it is part of the Old Levitical Holiness Code and is not meant to be taken literally.

But the above verse is just a mere 3 verses before Leviticus 20:13, one of their favorite anti-gay scriptures which, of course, they do choose to apply literally.

It's just incredible, isn't it?

Fundamentalists change their entire methodology of scriptural interpretation when it suits their purpose, even when dealing with verses that are a just couple of sentences away from each other!
====================================

<font color="red">"If a man lies with a woman during her sickness and uncovers her nakedness, he has discovered her flow, and she has uncovered the flow of her blood. Both of them shall be cut off from her people." (Leviticus 20:18) </font color>

Imagine what would happen today if we deported every man and woman who had ever had sex together while the woman was having her period. Fundamentalists decline the opportunity to take this verse literally, which is merely 5 verses after Leviticus 20:13.
========================================

<font color="red">"Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property." (Leviticus 25:44-45) </font color>

Did you ever wonder where racist, uneducated Southerners in the 19th century got the idea that slaves were just property and not people? Directly from the above verse, which fundamentalists do not, of course, take literally.
==================================

<font color="red">"Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard." (Leviticus 19:27) </font color>

"Bible-believing" fundamentalists never preach against the evils of shaving, as they do not take this verse literally for our day. Of course, they most certainly would do so if they had a personal bias against shaving, but apparently, they do not.
====================================

<font color="red">"...and the swine, though it divides the hoof, having cloven hooves, yet does not chew the cud, is unclean to you." (Leviticus 11:7) </font color>

As you can see, the book of Leviticus also prohibits the eating of pork (a swine is a pig). Of course, fundamentalists do not choose to use this verse to preach against eating pork. Sadly, however, they have no problem abusing the Bible to condemn gay and lesbian people. Remember, it's about their personal prejudice against gay people, not about a true desire to understand what the Bible actually says.
================================

<font color="red">"...do not plant your field with two kinds of seed. Do not wear material woven of two kinds of material." (Leviticus 19:19) </font color>

Farmers in this country almost always grow more than one kind of crop in their fields. In fact, they often must do so for ecological reasons. Fundamentalists do not apply this verse literally. If they were to preach against farmers, there would be an uproar, and rightfully so.

Fundamentalists also ignore the Biblical command to not wear clothes that have two different kinds of material. The shirts that many fundamentalists are often seen wearing must be a cotton/polyester blend, the most common in the United States of America. They may be "Bible believing" Christians, but this is yet another verse that they don't believe should be applied to today.

<font color="red">An "abomination?" </font color>

Fundamentalists also like to use Leviticus 18:22 to justify their anti-gay prejudice. That verse says, "You shall not lie with a male as with a woman. It is an abomination." Perhaps you have heard some people refer to gay people as an "abomination." They get the idea directly from Leviticus 18:22. But did you know that the Bible calls other things an abomination as well?

<font color="red">The Bible says that eating shrimp and lobster is an abomination: </font color>

"But all in the seas or in the rivers that do not have fins and scales, all that move in the water or any living thing which is in the water, they are an abomination to you." (Leviticus 11:10)

"They (shellfish) shall be an abomination to you; you shall not eat their flesh, but you shall regard their carcasses as an abomination." (Leviticus 11:11)

"Whatever in the water does not have fins or scales; that shall be an abomination to you." (Leviticus 11:12)

<font color="red">The Bible says that eating certain birds is an abomination:</font color>

"And these you shall regard as an abomination among the birds; they shall not be eaten, they are an abomination: the eagle, the vulture, the buzzard." (Leviticus 11:13)

<font color="red">The Bible says that eating insects is an abomination: </font color>

"All flying insects that creep on all fours shall be an abomination to you." (Leviticus 11:20)

"Whatever crawls on its belly, whatever goes on all fours, or whatever has many feet among all creeping things that creep on the earth, these you shall not eat, for they are an abomination." (Leviticus 11:42)

<font color="red">In conclusion . . . </font color>

The above exercise proves that anti-gay fundamentalists selectively quote the Bible. They enthusiastically and openly embrace those parts of the Bible which affirm and justify their own personal, pre-existing prejudice against gay people, while declining to become as enthusiastic about verses like the ones listed above. After all, how many times have you heard a fundamentalist say that eating shellfish was an abomination? But they sure don't hesitate to say it about gay people, do they?

<hr /></blockquote>

http://www.fallwell.com/ingnored%20old%20testament%20verses.html

cushioncrawler
10-31-2007, 04:47 PM
Strange, the skeptic's annotated bible only haz one reference to "prayer" in the bible, or at least only one worth mentioning. Anyhow, it looks like praying on tv (or openly anywhere) iz not christian, in fact it iz anti-christian. madMac.

".......What the Bible says about Prayer ....Matthew 6:5-6... And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly......."

Bobbyrx
10-31-2007, 05:12 PM
"Did you ever wonder where racist, uneducated Southerners in the 19th century got the idea that slaves were just property and not people? " <font color="blue"> Yeah, the same place those open minded, highly educated Californians got the idea to not only enslave Blacks, but Indians and Chinese for good measure</font color>

wolfdancer
10-31-2007, 05:36 PM
This confusion is why the Bible needs an updated version, so that we're all on the same page, and to stop the endless, unwarranted attacks on what was once a best seller, and book of the month club selection
The first problem to be addressed is the one that non-believers always use against the Bible. The time warp thing. While the Biblical time line has the earth at around 6000 yrs old...science is claiming more like 10k, even 401k.
This can be easily splained away, as they didn't have either the Gregorian, or Julian calendar to remember important dates like wedding anniversaries. In fact they only had 2 ways to keep time...Sundays, and Moondays, and you couldn't set your watch by either one, cause they seemed to vary in duration with the temp, and since the Kelvin scale hadn't been invented, and Mercury was just the forerunner of Fed Ex....not much help there either.
And then there is the Tragic Garden of Eden story....the beautiful, blond, blue eyed Eve, falling for the old Apple trick ( and Blonds have been punished ever since).....and the family then getting their exit visa...
Where did they go?...Well we know from the book of Mormon, that the Garden of Eden was located near Independence, Mo...so it's safe to say they just roamed around the southland....Speaking of that, how come Moses got the stone tablets, while Joe got the gold plates? A little favoritism?
That's about as far as I've gotten on my rewrite....Joseph Smith/ Fred Smith...a connection maybe?

eg8r
10-31-2007, 07:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They say that religion iz between u and god, and duznt concern anyone else. <hr /></blockquote> I agree and disagree. If you consider yourself Christian, the above quote cannot be true. The Great Commission is quite explicit and it definitely says nothing about keeping your religion to yourself. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r &lt;~~believes every word of the Bible, just doesn't follow it as well as I should

eg8r
10-31-2007, 07:37 PM
OK SONoma, ignore my PM, this does offend me. [ QUOTE ]
xtians <hr /></blockquote> It is just a few more keystrokes, the word is "Christians".

As for the quote you have, the author is singling out a very specific minority of people. He has chosen to slam homophobic fundamentalists (he does go on to talk about other "fundamentalists"). What good is it to critique anyone who is at the extremes of anything. It is an easy bet to guess they will go over board with whatever they believe in. We have seen this with the Radical Islamists who are blowing up innocent people on buses.

As for every day Christians, I don't believe they go very often to extremes. Leviticus is a very important book in the Bible, and I also agree that it should not be read literally as a way of expected punishments in the 21st century for those sins we commit. Jesus dying on the cross has changed all of this. There are lessons all throughout the Bible that can be picked apart by those whose intent is to find fault, but yet this is true with anything in life. I don't consider myself to be better than anyone else because I am a Christian however those whom I just spoke of are quite defensive if I make that declaration. Go figure.

eg8r

eg8r
10-31-2007, 07:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Strange, the skeptic's annotated bible only haz one reference to "prayer" in the bible, or at least only one worth mentioning. Anyhow, it looks like praying on tv (or openly anywhere) iz not christian, in fact it iz anti-christian. madMac.
<hr /></blockquote> You are really mis-interpreting the scripture you quoted. Is your view based on the thoughts of that crazy site you sent me to last time? You do this quite often, I am beginning to think you might actually ascribe to the posts you make.

eg8r

Wally_in_Cincy
10-31-2007, 07:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
<hr /></blockquote> You are really mis-interpreting the scripture you quoted. Is your view based on the thoughts of that crazy site you sent me to last time? You do this quite often, I am beginning to think you might actually ascribe to the posts you make.

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

He obviously has not studied the Scripture at all.

Not even to the smallest degree.

He only reads the site that mocks it.

cushioncrawler
10-31-2007, 08:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr><hr /></blockquote> You are really mis-interpreting the scripture you quoted. Is your view based on the thoughts of that crazy site you sent me to last time? You do this quite often, I am beginning to think you might actually ascribe to the posts you make. eg8r<hr /></blockquote>I just had a look at the KJ bible online -- Matthew 6-1 to 6-7, etc, seem to have the wording i mentioned. Perhaps u can tell me how it iz possible to miss-interpret it. madMac.

eg8r
10-31-2007, 08:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just had a look at the KJ bible online -- Matthew 6-1 to 6-7, etc, seem to have the wording i mentioned. Perhaps u can tell me how it iz possible to miss-interpret it. madMac. <hr /></blockquote> I did not say you "mis-quoted" I said you "mis-interpreted". Do you understand the difference?

eg8r

cushioncrawler
10-31-2007, 08:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>...He obviously has not studied the Scripture at all. Not even to the smallest degree. He only reads the site that mocks it.<hr /></blockquote>But i do read experts who have studied the bible. And, i read (try to read) pro-bible sites, but theze are painfull to read, seriously, it hurts trying to wade throo all of the non-logic, can never keep it up for long. madMac.

cushioncrawler
10-31-2007, 08:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
I just had a look at the KJ bible online -- Matthew 6-1 to 6-7, etc, seem to have the wording i mentioned. Perhaps u can tell me how it iz possible to miss-interpret it. madMac. <hr /></blockquote> I did not say you "mis-quoted" I said you "mis-interpreted". Do you understand the difference?
eg8r<hr /></blockquote>So, praying on tv iz ok with the bible after all??? madMac.

eg8r
11-01-2007, 07:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So, praying on tv iz ok with the bible after all??? madMac. <hr /></blockquote> Due to the fact that you have mis-interpreted everything you have read in the Bible I choose not to answer any of your questions because you will probably twist what I have said also.

Let's see if we can clarify things for you. I pulled a small part out of your original quote that you seem to be fixated on... [ QUOTE ]
the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. <hr /></blockquote> The scripture is calling people hypocrites if they pray in front of people simply to build their ego (simply to be seen). It is not calling people hypocrites just because they pray in a church, in front of people or on TV. This is what I meant about you mis-interpreting what was quoted.

Do you see the subtle difference between praying because you want to and praying because you want to be seen praying?

eg8r

cushioncrawler
11-01-2007, 05:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt; So, praying on tv iz ok with the bible after all??? madMac.<hr /></blockquote> Due to the fact that you have mis-interpreted everything you have read in the Bible I choose not to answer any of your questions because you will probably twist what I have said also. Let's see if we can clarify things for you. I pulled a small part out of your original quote that you seem to be fixated on... &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt; the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men.<hr /></blockquote> The scripture is calling people hypocrites if they pray in front of people simply to build their ego (simply to be seen). It is not calling people hypocrites just because they pray in a church, in front of people or on TV. This is what I meant about you mis-interpreting what was quoted. Do you see the subtle difference between praying because you want to and praying because you want to be seen praying? eg8r<hr /></blockquote>U have missed the category where u want to plus want to be seen. And, u have missed the subtle difference between a synagogue and a church. And, u have missed the underlaying reezons for all of this. Jezus didnt like jewish priests etc. Hencely, he didnt have much time for priests houses neither etc. The main point woz the bit near the end that u didnt quote, where he in effekt (more than in effekt in fakt) sez to pray in your own house (closet). Jezus woz anti churches, and anti church buildings. madMac

bamadog
11-01-2007, 06:13 PM
(quote, SONoma)
Did you ever wonder where racist, uneducated Southerners in the 19th century got the idea that slaves were just property and not people? Directly from the above verse, which fundamentalists do not, of course, take literally.(quote, SONoma)
-----------------------------------------------------------------

You are aware that slavery predates the bible?

Where did the ancient Egyptians get their idea that slavery is OK?
Why did people who have never heard of the bible engage in slavery?
Where did the African animists who sold their slaves to the Muslim slavers get their idea that slavery was OK?
How about the Greeks, Persions, Chinese, Huns, Norse, Mayans?
Did they get their ideas from the Old Testament as well?

cushioncrawler
11-01-2007, 07:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bamadog:</font><hr> (quote, SONoma) Did you ever wonder where racist, uneducated Southerners in the 19th century got the idea that slaves were just property and not people? Directly from the above verse, which fundamentalists do not, of course, take literally.<hr /></blockquote>You are aware that slavery predates the bible? Where did the ancient Egyptians get their idea that slavery is OK? Why did people who have never heard of the bible engage in slavery? Where did the African animists who sold their slaves to the Muslim slavers get their idea that slavery was OK? How about the Greeks, Persions, Chinese, Huns, Norse, Mayans? Did they get their ideas from the Old Testament as well?<hr /></blockquote>U missed racist, uneducated Northerners in Ozz in the 20th century, who got the idea that slaves were just property and not people. We made slaves of "fuzzy wuzzyz", kidnapped (lured) from new guinea and the islands. madMac.

eg8r
11-02-2007, 12:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
U have missed the category where u want to plus want to be seen. And, u have missed the subtle difference between a synagogue and a church. And, u have missed the underlaying reezons for all of this. Jezus didnt like jewish priests etc. Hencely, he didnt have much time for priests houses neither etc. The main point woz the bit near the end that u didnt quote, where he in effekt (more than in effekt in fakt) sez to pray in your own house (closet). Jezus woz anti churches, and anti church buildings. <hr /></blockquote> LOL, you really should quit letting others think for you and just go read yourself with an open mind.

eg8r