PDA

View Full Version : Lucky Luciano is alive and well

Fran Crimi
10-28-2007, 10:32 AM
Pardon the iterruption of the politics here but this happened this morning and I thought it was pretty funny.

I often do my food shopping in Howard Beach because of the number of Italian grocery stores there where you can buy imported stuff. As many people know, Howard Beach was the home of the infamous John Gotti, who I've had the occasion to come face-to-face with --- as some of the longer time posters here might remember my story about that.

Anyway, I've heard rumors that the neighborhood is still pretty well 'connected' but I've often wondered how true that was. I've sometimes sat in the local Starbucks there sipping on a cappucino, noticing the comings and goings and thought that, yup, still looks like things could be very much 'connected'. But Italians tend to look that way, anyway.

Today I had just finished grocery shopping there when I spotted a mother, father and a little boy between them, headed, I think, to a Halloween party for the child. The kid couldn't have been more than 6 or 7 and was dressed up as a miniatureized version of Lucky Luciano, in a shiny gray double-breasted suit, with fedora and of course, machine gun. The father was wearing a red velvet warm-up suit, you know...the kind that falls off the back of trucks.

Luckily I was already in my car because I burst out laughing. Yup, seems to me like they're still 'connected' in Howard Beach and Lucky Luciano is alive and well.

Fran --- Happy Halloween to all.

Gayle in MD
10-28-2007, 12:51 PM
Happy Halloween to you too, Fran. Funny story. Hope all is well.

Gayle in Md.

hondo
10-28-2007, 03:33 PM
I'm old enough to remember Luciano on t.v. in the 50s
repeating over & over again, " I refuse to answer that on the grounds that it may incriminate me."
I always remember that plus watching McCarthy making
all those crazy accusations about everybody being
a communist.
I also remember the American public being outraged
that Cab Calloway did a jazzy version of the Star
Spangled Banner on Hit Parade.
Ah, the good ole 50s.

bamadog
10-28-2007, 06:29 PM
Now Hondo, I doubt very seriously that you had any Idea what a communist was during the McCarthy hearings. How old are you? I believe you stated before you were 57.

Wally_in_Cincy
10-29-2007, 06:39 AM
you got a problem wit dat?

/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gayle in MD
10-29-2007, 06:55 AM
I remember those hearings, too, Hondo. I remember in Jr. High, a neighborhood friend, a guy, used to go to work at his uncle's in New Jersey, for the summers. His uncle was his mom's brother, so he had a different last name, which was never mentioned, and had a trash business. One summer he didn't go, and later he told us that his uncle was actually Joe Valachi, (sp) LOL, poor guy, he took a lot of joaning from the guys around town after that.

Now days all the crooks refuse to even show up for hearings. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif Looks like Congress is going to give them a good fight, though. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

hondo
10-29-2007, 12:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> you got a problem wit dat?

/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Are you talkin to me? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hondo
10-29-2007, 12:56 PM
OOPS! Forgot you were a big McCarthy fan! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I'm 59.

Fran Crimi
10-29-2007, 02:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hondo:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> you got a problem wit dat?

Are you talkin to me? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

No no no....you have to just say "You talking to ME??"

There's no "are."

What kind of gangster ARE you? Sheesh.

hondo
10-29-2007, 02:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote hondo:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> you got a problem wit dat?

Are you talkin to me? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

No no no....you have to just say "You talking to ME??"

There's no "are."

What kind of gangster ARE you? Sheesh. <hr /></blockquote>

LOL! Give me one more chance, Fran! Puuhleese! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif