PDA

View Full Version : Rate-a-Break

av84fun
10-28-2007, 01:05 PM
I have come up with an objective method of rating breaks so as to be able to measure improvement.

Any comments will be appreciated.

1. Score 3 points for pocketing any ball.
2. Score 2 points for any additional balls pocketed. (NOTE: 3 points for the first ball dropped recognizes that nothing else matters in the break of you don't pocket at least one ball. But 2 points are given for additional balls because it leaves you less balls to pocket and it clears out that many more obstacles.
3. Score 1 point for each ball that travels past the center line of the table. These points are justified because if they travel past the center, they COULD have gone in one of the side pockets. The fact that they didn't drop is just due to random luck.
4. Score 1 point for each ball that makes it to the head rail for the same reason as #3.
5. Score 1 point for each ball that makes it to the head rail AND back across the center line. Again, such balls COULD have dropped in one of the side pockets.
6. Score 2 points if the CB stops in a rectangle defined as being 1 diamond off the side rails and 2 diamonds away from the head and foot rails. In other words...generally in the center portion of the table WITHOUT BEING KICKED THERE. (Optionally, if you are SURE that you stopped the CB in that center rectangle but it gets kicked out, go ahead and take credit for correctly controlling the CB but this option is only available to people who would be TRULY HONEST about that).

Another option.

If the table you play on (or the balls/rack) just don't permit the 1 or the wing ball to drop without being kicked then add 2 points for controlling the CB to the kitchen because that is where the 1 ball is going to end up. If the 1 is not dropping in the side, it almost always hits ABOVE the side and will carry to the area of the head rail.

In general, having watched a BUNCH of pro breaks, pocketing one ball...sending 5 more past the center and 2 to the head rail...and leaving the CB in the center, is a GREAT break...and would total 12 points.

Female pros tend to score closer to 9-10 and the main reason is that many don't pocket a ball quite as often and don't have the power to get balls off the head rail and back past the center.

PS: This system only works on quality 9 ft. tables/cloth/balls where a genuine tight rack is possible. I have not tried this system out on bar boxes.

Regards,
Jim

Snapshot9
10-30-2007, 10:43 AM
Sounds pretty good Jim, but it sure would keep you busy tracking all those balls ... LOL

For practice sets, this could benefit you, but in game time mode, just making a ball, and having a decent shot on the 1 works for me.

You used the DIRT technique (Do It Right Turkey), and I use the KISS technique .... ROFL

Bob_Jewett
10-30-2007, 11:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote av84fun:</font><hr> I have come up with an objective method of rating breaks so as to be able to measure improvement.

Any comments will be appreciated.

... <hr /></blockquote>

An alternative scoring method (with score sheet) starts on page 6 of

http://www.sfbilliards.com/nineball.pdf