PDA

View Full Version : Dufferin Cues

msunlimited
11-01-2007, 03:19 PM
Hi, Everyone,

Just joined the forum today and I have a quick question. Is there a way to tell a Canadian made Dufferin cue from the more recent Chinese manufactured ones? My father is looking at a mint condition used cue that appears to be one of their Classic II models (from his description), but I haven't seen it. It has a dark stained butt, greyish linen wrap and a maple shaft. In addition, he says the the maple leaf badge is green. Most newer Dufferins I have seen online have red leaf badges. In any event, the seller wants $50.00. Is this reasonable, even if Chinese made?
I'd appreciate any input from you folks that I can relay to my dad.

1Time
11-01-2007, 06:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote msunlimited:</font><hr>In any event, the seller wants $50.00. Is this reasonable, even if Chinese made? <hr /></blockquote>

I would consider $50 an excellent price for a cue that I found to play very well for me, and especially if it still appears to be straight and in good condition. However, I would not be willing to pay $20 for a cue that does not play well for me, unless I was sure I could resell it for a nice profit.

If buying a cue and not first knowing how well it shoots for someone, the less the difference is between what you paid for it and what you could resell it for, the better. It's your crap shoot.

cushioncrawler
11-01-2007, 07:01 PM
Last month i bort 2 cues, both identical, 2-piece maple, like dufferins, $60 each. I woz happy to see that one (shaft) woz a bit stiffer than the other. I added wt to bring one up from 17oz to 21oz. Now i have 4 combinations of butt and shaft. Currently i am uzing the whippy shaft with the heavy butt. Pity that the joints arent perfikt, and catch my beard. Billiards can be painfull. In fact last night in our grand final the ref woz stung by a wasp that he woz trying to evict -- there iz allways something new.

Before i bort the 2 cues, i went throo every rack and every cue, testing for wt and stiffness and straightness (and price) etc. The prices went from $19 to $129. madMac.

bradb
11-05-2007, 11:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cushioncrawler:</font><hr> Last month i bort 2 cues, both identical, 2-piece maple, like dufferins, $60 each. I woz happy to see that one (shaft) woz a bit stiffer than the other. I added wt to bring one up from 17oz to 21oz. Now i have 4 combinations of butt and shaft. Currently i am uzing the whippy shaft with the heavy butt. Pity that the joints arent perfikt, and catch my beard. Billiards can be painfull. In fact last night in our grand final the ref woz stung by a wasp that he woz trying to evict -- there iz allways something new.

Before i bort the 2 cues, i went throo every rack and every cue, testing for wt and stiffness and straightness (and price) etc. The prices went from $19 to $129. madMac. <hr /></blockquote>

Mac, we can still get Dufferins here. I bought a nice little Sneaky Pete for about 110 bucks. Its a great cue and I like it better than my more expensive ones. I put a Moori tip on it as I mentioned in another thread.

The only trouble is I can't lay it down anywhere or some will put it up on the rack. It took half the night to find it one time. -brad