PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody subscribe to...(School help needed)

sack316
11-03-2007, 12:21 PM
sorry for the lack of knocking something out of the ballpark in the subject line...

But I'm finally going back to school after about 8 years of that famous "semester off". I managed to get accepted into an accelerated program at my old school (Huntingdon College) that will allow me to be able to keep working full time while attending classes that are insanely consolidated down. I.E. one class is roughly the equivalent to three weeks worth of regular class.

So the class I am taking right now is contemporary literature, both A) to get it out of the way, reading is not one of my great interests unless it's by Capelle or Deeman or someone like that, and B) Assignments are due the first night of class, and this one happens to start on Thursday, giving me two extra days to be prapared than the alternative class was.

So I bought my $100 worth of 9 books to read over the 5 week course, and am ready to get rolling. BUT my problem is that some of the material needed is also poetry or articles found in sources other than these books. Thus far I've managed to find most of the other material online and printed it out from other sources.

The only problem is finding a writing by Natasha Saje "Who are We to Judge?: The Politics of Literary Evaluation". I found that this was published in The Writers Chronicle, Volume 36, Number 6. But thus far have had no luck in finding the actual text itself. With time short, I'm hoping by some chance perhaps someone I know happens to either have this, or some way to hunt it down rather quickly. So any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sack

wolfdancer
11-03-2007, 01:13 PM
Sack, they study writing ...AND poetry, in Ala?
I is truly impressed. I'm still trying to read the Charles Simic Poetry book that a relative sent me.
I'm on page 21 already, after only 2 years:
"What The Gypsies Told My Grandmother While she Was Still a young Girl"
"War,illness and famine will make you their favorite grandchild.
You'll be like a blind person watching a silent movie
You'll chop onions and pieces of your heart into the same hot skillet
Your children will sleep in a suitcase tied with a rope
Your husband will kiss your breast every night as if they were two tombstones
Already the crows are grooming themselves for you and your people
Your oldest son will lie with flies on his lips
without smiling or lifting his hand
You'll envy every ant you meet in your life
and every roadside weed
Your body and soul will sit on separate stoops
chewing the same piece of gum
Little cutie, are you for sale? The devil will say
The undertaker will buy a toy for your grandson
your mind will be a hornet's nest
even on your deathbed
You will pray to God, but God will hang a sign
that He's not to be disturbed
Questions no further, that's all I know"

As you can tell, it's a very uplifting poem!!!!!

I think it's great that you've gone back to school (never can tell when that GED will come in handy /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif)
I wish I had done that as well...now I'm too dumb to learn anything new, and too busy trying not to forget what I did learn....which weren't much
I was trying to avoid typing out that poem, and tried to Google it instead....but found these useless bits of related info:
Bob Keeshan (Captain Kangaroo), Willie Mosconi, and Helen Keller share the same birthdays, not the same birth dates...and Helen was born in Tuscumbia, Ala (1880)
I'm thinking there's another poem in there, about them 3, but I'll leave it up to you to write it.

sack316
11-03-2007, 01:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Sack, they study writing ...AND poetry, in Ala?
<hr /></blockquote>

Indeed we do my friend. Usually works by the all time greats, in fact. You know, such writers as Foxworthy, Engvall, Cable Guy, Etc. are staples of our great education system here in the south /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sack

SKennedy
11-04-2007, 07:22 PM
Uhhhh, Uhhhhhh....you'll need to call someone smart....a northern liberal....how about Gayle?
Just kidding Gayle....guess when you put your boat up for the winter I put mine into service. Spent Friday night aboard mine. Nice, cold, damp, and the black lab and I cuddled for warmth. Not sure he appreciated my snoring.

Sorry I can't help on your search but it's great you've gone back to school. Hang in there and stay with it.

Deeman3
11-05-2007, 02:42 PM
Sack,

Congratulations on returning to school. Don't let Wolfdancer foll you. He's jealous. Kalifornia won't let him in school there, too far right for them.

You might tell him we have plenty of academics and others of note from Alabama...Hellen Keller, George Gist, Tallulah Bankhead, Doc Hoiliday, Truman Copote &amp; Harper Lee (childhood friends), George Wallace, Nat King Cole, Hank Aaron, George Washington Carver, Goober Lindsey. Our only real lasting sorrow is that Bear Bryant came from Arkansas. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

SKennedy
11-05-2007, 03:24 PM
Bryant....yes, from Arkansas via Tx A&amp;M to Bama.

wolfdancer
11-05-2007, 03:30 PM
"Bear" is one of the all time great coaches...I knew Broadway Joe and Kenny Stabler had came out of his program,...seems like there is another outstanding QB from there as well....but my brain is still fried from the Colts/Patriots game yesterday.
While trying to Google that, I found this story....think I may have heard it before, but as I said the brain has gone into idle.....
A true event happened during a football game in the Southeast Conference between the great rivals of Alabama and Auburn back in the days when Bear Byrant was still living and Pat Dye was the coach of Auburn.
The first-team quarterback for the Alabama team had been injured, so they were left with the second-team quarterback. Alabama was on Auburn's twenty-yard line, and had a five point lead in the game. There was two minutes left in the game and Alabama had a first down. Coach Bryant yelled into the ear hole helmet of the second-team quarterback, "Whatever you do, do not pass! Run the ball all four plays. And then if we have to hold them, our defense will get us through and we will win."

The second-team quarterback ran in full determination. On first down, Auburn crushed the Alabama attack. On second down Auburn once again held the line of scrimmage. On third down, Alabama gained a yard. On fourth down, some how the Alabama handoff was muffled and the quarterback wound up running the ball. Running around the backfield, he looked down field and saw his split end wide open in the endzone, so he threw the football towards him.

What the quarterback failed to see was the fastest man on the field was the fastest man on the field, the free safety for the Auburn Tigers, who broke quickly for the ball. The free safety came in front of the reciever, inter-cepted the pass and started to race down the sidelines for the endzone. The Alabama quarterback, not very fast himself normally, sprinted down the field, caught the man and tackled him. Alabama won the game.

Coach Dye said later to Coach Bryant, "I read the scouting report on your quarterback, he is suppose to be slow. How is it he caught up with the fastest man on the field?" Coach Bryant replied, "It is very simple. Your man was running for the goal line and a touchdown. My man was running for his life!"
Now you ain't a true "Bama " fan unless you know the answer to this:
This player ranks as one of the greatest "athletes" to ever play at Alabama. During his four year career, he rushed for 2,025 yards and 19 TDs, passed for 2,863 yards and 29 TDs, plus scored on two punt returns, one kick return, and returned an interception for another score. Coincidently, this All-American's career TD total of 52 was also his jersey number. Who is this former Tide player?
Answer at:
web page (http://www.funtrivia.com/en/Sports/Alabama-Crimson-Tide-7945.html)
AND they never beat Texas???????????????????????????

Deeman3
11-05-2007, 04:33 PM
and I left Harry "Gridiron" Gilmer off the list!!!!!