PDA

View Full Version : Mosconi Cup

austinwf
11-03-2007, 01:44 PM
Can someone please explain how the Mosconi Cup team is chosen. I just saw that Earl Strickland is again on the team; how could this happen?

Rich R.
11-03-2007, 02:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote austinwf:</font><hr> Can someone please explain how the Mosconi Cup team is chosen. I just saw that Earl Strickland is again on the team; how could this happen? <hr /></blockquote>
Most of the team is picked based on their point standing within the UPA. However, the promoter, in England, reserves the right to appoint at least one team member and he chooses Earl. For good or bad, Earl always attracts a crowd.

austinwf
11-03-2007, 03:16 PM
Thanks, Rich R.
I had the impression that the promoter may have figured into the choice(s). Too bad that the promoter has such a low regard for the sport. Turning the tournament into a circus won't do much for the UPA's stated goal of making pool an Olympic event.

Rich R.
11-04-2007, 08:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote austinwf:</font><hr> Thanks, Rich R.
I had the impression that the promoter may have figured into the choice(s). Too bad that the promoter has such a low regard for the sport. Turning the tournament into a circus won't do much for the UPA's stated goal of making pool an Olympic event. <hr /></blockquote>I don't think the promoter really cares about the goals of the UPA. His name escapes me, at the moment, but IIRC, he owns Matchroom Sports in England and he is mostly interested in TV ratings.

austinwf
11-05-2007, 10:03 PM
From the UPA: Please know the Mosconi Cup is an independent event put on by Matchroom. The UPA is granted three top ranking U.S. spots. After these three spots, the promoter/Matchroom Sports has the option of choosing whichever U.S. Players they want as wild cards.

Deeman3
11-06-2007, 08:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote austinwf:</font><hr> Too bad that the promoter has such a low regard for the sport. Turning the tournament into a circus won't do much for the UPA's stated goal of making pool an Olympic event. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Yes, as I've said before, those childish temper tantrums and obscene behavour that John McEnroe displayed in every event really destroyed tennis, didn't it?

No, wait, it was when tennis got more civil characters that the sport dipped in attendance and popularity. Earl is childish but don't blame him for the poor ratings. There are many who come and tune in just to see his antics no matter what they say....</font color>

Rich R.
11-06-2007, 08:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote austinwf:</font><hr> From the UPA: Please know the Mosconi Cup is an independent event put on by Matchroom. The UPA is granted three top ranking U.S. spots. After these three spots, the promoter/Matchroom Sports has the option of choosing whichever U.S. Players they want as wild cards.
<hr /></blockquote>That is what I get for not looking up the details. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
As you have found, the promoter has more of a say than I thought. The bottom line is, it is not about good pool. It is about ratings and $$$.

austinwf
11-06-2007, 05:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> Yes, as I've said before, those childish temper tantrums and obscene behavour that John McEnroe displayed in every event really destroyed tennis, didn't it?

No, wait, it was when tennis got more civil characters that the sport dipped in attendance and popularity. Earl is childish but don't blame him for the poor ratings. There are many who come and tune in just to see his antics no matter what they say....<hr /></blockquote>
I did not mean to suggest that Strickland is the reason for the poor state of tournament pool in the United States. You're right, if it takes a circus to attract viewers, so be it. Still, his presence is an embarrassment. I watched him in both the 2005 Mosconi Cup and the 2006 IPT tournament in Las Vegas. He was not a draw in either, particularly so in the IPT where few watched him play.
As to the tennis analogy, think PGA tour.

Wally_in_Cincy
11-06-2007, 08:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote austinwf:</font><hr>I did not mean to suggest that Strickland is the reason for the poor state of tournament pool in the United States. You're right, if it takes a circus to attract viewers, so be it. <hr /></blockquote>

Euros hate Earl.

Earl = ratings.

It's all about the money.

Entertainnment = Earl = Money

Kudos to Matchroom for promting the game. They need to make dough or they will not stage the event.

I actually enjoy watching his annual blow-up.

Casey
11-06-2007, 10:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote austinwf:</font><hr> UPA's stated goal of making pool an Olympic event. <hr /></blockquote>

How awesome would that be!? Much better than that damn curling, man is that boring to watch!
(No offense to anyone here in Canada holding a broom, I mean "sweeper" right now.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Vagabond
11-06-2007, 10:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote austinwf:</font><hr>I did not mean to suggest that Strickland is the reason for the poor state of tournament pool in the United States. You're right, if it takes a circus to attract viewers, so be it. <hr /></blockquote>
hey wally,
how are u doing? long time no see.
I will be there at mosconi cup and considering taking my `boys` with me to defend Earl against those British goons that are going to accompany the European contingent.I being an Ex small scale Soccer hooligan know how to handle those Goons from London. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
11-07-2007, 07:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vagabond:</font><hr> hey wally,
how are u doing? long time no see.
<hr /></blockquote>

Hey Vag. Doing fine here in the heartland. I was in Vegas in August. I did not think to look you up. Sorry.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vagabond:</font><hr> I will be there at mosconi cup and considering taking my `boys` with me to defend Earl against those British goons that are going to accompany the European contingent.I being an Ex small scale Soccer hooligan know how to handle those Goons from London. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

<hr /></blockquote>

Excellent. That might make for some serious tv ratings /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif