PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Here Play Fargo?

SpiderMan
07-29-2002, 12:35 PM
Rod Elliott got me started, and I've worked this into my practice routine. I also match up with several other guys and we alternate racks. Actually, over the past couple of months, I've distributed scoresheets and have gotten quite a bunch of locals playing.

I do find, being an equal-offense sort of game, that Fargo scores tend to reflect the length and tightness of the table. I average about 20 points higher on 8-footers than nines.

A game of Fargo is a very good warm-up for a straight-pool match.

SpiderMan

Vagabond
07-29-2002, 06:39 PM
Howdy,
I thought you are going to say something about the bank pool action player.
vagabond

phil in sofla
07-29-2002, 08:21 PM
Remind me, please, is Fargo the game where you can call your option to go to a rotation order of pocketing, where those balls pocketed once you've declared that intent count for 2 points, instead of 1, for your inning? Or is it straight 1 points per ball, no rotation order, and therefore a maximum of 15 points a rack?

Troy
07-29-2002, 09:33 PM
Phil... Go to http://www.playpool.com/rsbasp/fargo/ and scroll down to view the "rules"...
Enjoy, it's good practice..... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Troy

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: phil in sofla:</font><hr> Remind me, please, is Fargo the game where you can call your option to go to a rotation order of pocketing, where those balls pocketed once you've declared that intent count for 2 points, instead of 1, for your inning? Or is it straight 1 points per ball, no rotation order, and therefore a maximum of 15 points a rack? <hr></blockquote>

SpiderMan
07-30-2002, 12:49 AM
Yes, that's the game. Maximum score of 30 points per rack if you run out in rotation from the break.

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
07-30-2002, 12:01 PM
He's a guy from Fargo, ND?

SpiderMan

Rod
07-30-2002, 02:43 PM
SpiderMan,
Glad you and friends enjoy the game. It is a good game because it combines Rotation, 14-1, 8 ball and 9 ball to a degree. It really makes you aware of now costly a mistake or two during a rack can be, especially if you miss a ball. It really hurts the score plus the rack is over, final, done.
Since I don't play as much it serves as a goal to play my best and it keeps me thinking. It is a good game to play plus it helps the overall game. Strategy is critical and that includes the break. None of those big wind up hit the balls as hard as you can will work here. You need to be in control. A good lesson for anyone that plays.

It reminds me of 14-1 many ways. It is goal oriented or at least it is to me. When I played 14-1 a warm up routine was run 50 balls. Not a large number but it was warm up. During actual play and many times in practice when the run got high, I was on a high that I find hard to imagine at present. The only thing I can compare it to is when I was involved with racing, an adrenaline rush. I drove an Alcohol Dragster. I wasn't playing pool during those years. For me, Fargo brings back that concentration of 14-1 to a degree. I'd still play 14-1 if the tables and balls were in decent condition. Both games help me a lot with control when I play 9 ball or one pocket, or any game for that matter. I'm not trying to sell the game to everyone, just giving my view point. Hope I didn't bore anyone.

SpiderMan
07-30-2002, 03:17 PM
Rod,

What tables were you on when you participated in the playpool.com Fargo tournament? On a 9-foot, I've not gotten one game as high as your lowest game!

Also, I have created a great Fargo scoresheet using Excel. If you'd like a copy, let me know and I'll email it. I keep a binder full of them in the car in case I want to play.

SpiderMan

Vagabond
07-30-2002, 03:19 PM
No he lives, as i heard,in Florida.
vagabond

Rod
07-30-2002, 04:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: SpiderMan:</font><hr> Rod,

What tables were you on when you participated in the playpool.com Fargo tournament? On a 9-foot, I've not gotten one game as high as your lowest game!

Also, I have created a great Fargo scoresheet using Excel. If you'd like a copy, let me know and I'll email it. I keep a binder full of them in the car in case I want to play.

SpiderMan <hr></blockquote>

Spidey, it was on the GC III's at Clicks. I haven't played much recently because of the tables. The slates are all popped now. When the c/b slows down it tracks a line between the slates, that's disgusting! The last time I played 14-1 I was at 58 balls and needed to play position in a 2" area. It wasn't a hard shot but it caught the slate line and I missed position by 1/2 inch. I had it nailed if not for the slate. It ended my run and haven't played since, except for a bar box last week. I'd play elsewhere but it's a long drive. To beat that a guy told me, a repair guy was in hitting the slates by setting a 2x4 on the table and whacking it with a big hammer. I'd of killed the dumb-ass! There going to recover all the tables very soon. I told them to replace the dead rails and suggested a good table mechanic. They say maybe but there on a budget. Do you all down there have problems with Clicks and their equipment? Sorry for the ranting.

Sure Email me a copy I'd appreciate it. Now to find a reasonable place to play. I heard the other clicks in Tempe is $5 all day. I'm calling a buddy later and meet him tommorrow. I just hope those tables don't resemble these.

SpiderMan
07-30-2002, 04:36 PM
Some places take better care of the tables than others. My home room, Rack Daddy's, generally does really well, but there is one table with the rail rubber delaminated near a side pocket and they recently re-felted the table AND THE RAILS without fixing the broken rubber. You literally cannot make a side-pocket bank into about six inches of that rail. It's too unpredictable.

I've been playing a little straight pool with Dick Lane and Randy Godfrey. A few weeks back I got two games off of Dick, so now he will raise my handicap. So far, my high run in these straight-pool matches is 30. I could probably get higher runs in practice, but in games I play a good bit of safety.

I emailed you a copy of my Fargo scoresheet.

SpiderMan