PDA

View Full Version : Eye Glasses

Edd
11-06-2007, 01:23 PM
I'm in my late 50's and wear progressive lens. My glasses are stylishly small. As barely an intermediate player, I am beginning to grasp the importance of shifting focus from the cue ball to the object ball, as I prepare for the shooting stroke.
Would I benefit from getting a separate pair of glasses, with larger frames, that are not progressives? Any eye glass wearers out there with any advice? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dg-in-centralpa
11-06-2007, 02:12 PM
What about contacts? Can you see well enough that you wouldn't need the progressives? I wear contacts but am not quite at the point for bifocals. Close but not yet.

DG

DeadCrab
11-06-2007, 02:27 PM
For shooting pool I use a pair of 90's style frames that have big lenses, and no bifocals.

For the current style of glasses, all I get is neck pain, and I can't see the object ball.

If you want to go full tilt, they make shooting glasses with lenses that go up above the eyebrows, and some people shoot pool with these. You can also get an Rx for the intermediate distances encountered in pool.

If you have a pair of old frames that can hold big lenses you can get your current Rx put in pretty cheaply, especially if you go without the bifocal. It does help a lot.

Edd
11-06-2007, 02:39 PM
Thanks for that feedback! I will give that a try.

SKennedy
11-06-2007, 02:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Edd:</font><hr> I am beginning to grasp the importance of shifting focus from the cue ball to the object ball, as I prepare for the shooting stroke.<hr /></blockquote>
Perhaps I am missing something..and probably am, but why do you have to, or why is it prefered to shift focus from the cue ball to the object ball? In my younger days, with good eyes, that ia exactly what I did. Now that my eyes are fading, I line my shot up by looking at both balls, but keep my focus on the cue ball and do not shift focus. I have found, in my case, that this helps me inspite of the eye thing. Once you are set up for the shot, does it really matter whether your eyes are on the cue ball or object ball? I shoot with a good player who primarily only plays on bar boxes. Recently, we started playing more on 9 ft tables, which I prefer and he hates. He complained about too much green and his shooting was poor. I suggested (no, I should not be giving anyone advice) that he stay focused on the cue ball only during his stroke so that the "green" wouldn't intimidate him. It immediately improved his game on the bigger tables.
I'm not advocating I am right, I only want to learn what is appropriate since I to have the eye problem.

1Time
11-06-2007, 03:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Edd:</font><hr>Any eye glass wearers out there with any advice? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I'm a long time wearer of eye glasses. You'll be better off being able to change the focus of your eyes without having to move your head. I find my peripheral vision on a vertical axis and imagination to be critical to my shot making. And I would be greatly handicapped if I had to move my head while sighting a shot.

Edd
11-06-2007, 03:19 PM
Well, I'll defer to more seasoned players. My understanding from readings, etc, that the switch in focus in recommended.

SKennedy
11-06-2007, 03:26 PM
I don't argue that what you are saying is true. I do know that if you do that in golf, you've got serious problems. Logic tells me the same thing would be applicable in pool. However, my logic has failed me on occasion.

Rich R.
11-06-2007, 04:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Edd:</font><hr> I'm in my late 50's and wear progressive lens. My glasses are stylishly small. As barely an intermediate player, I am beginning to grasp the importance of shifting focus from the cue ball to the object ball, as I prepare for the shooting stroke.
Would I benefit from getting a separate pair of glasses, with larger frames, that are not progressives? Any eye glass wearers out there with any advice? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>
A company named Decot makes frames specifically for shooting pool. They have an adjustable bridge. You can also have your doctor give you a prescription for lenses optimized for the distances needed to play pool. I know a few people who have done this and it has helped them greatly.
http://www.sportglasses.com/content/info_billiards.asp

cushioncrawler
11-07-2007, 12:05 AM
Some weeks ago i dug out my old old billiardz (shooting) glasses, and went to the eye-doc and got a new prescription. I put in 2 new lenzes for intermediated distance (not near and not far), and i mezured the needed optikal centers by sticking ring-binder hole-reinforcement rings on the glasses (with the noze-piece fully up in the play pozzy). Looks great, balls now look round instead of egg-shaped. Shood have dunn it years ago. I had been playing wearing my street glasses for 10 years, not good, i have any ugle verandah style forehead overhang, and my street glasses were allwayz getting covered in sweat. madMac.

av84fun
11-07-2007, 01:40 AM
I MOST STRONGLY urge you to contact Dr. Gordon Harrison, an eye doctor in Canada. He makes a special eye glass for pool players that has HUGELY benefitted my game.

It's a little difficult to explain but the lenses are both oversized AND...upside down...sort of. But the result is what I would describe as a WALL OF VISION above where the rim of my normal lenses would be. They are JUST GREAT.

I too use continuous lenses for my regular glasses so I would imagine that our vision issues are roughly the same.

But SINGLE VISION is all you will need so they will only
cost about $130.00 and will get to you quickly. Dr. Harrison is a VERY nice guy.

I have used Decot glasses for skeet shooting for MANY years and they are a great company. So it is with no disrespect that I tell you that their pool glasses just didn't work for me.

Contact Dr. Harrison at (450) 465-3058.
Regards,
Jim

Edd
11-07-2007, 08:16 AM
Thanks to all of you for these recommendations. I will explore them.

iusedtoberich
11-07-2007, 12:04 PM
Also read through this thread on AZ:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=33552

See post #7 for a picture of what I did. My goal was to have something that worked as well as the Rifle Shooter's glasses, but did not look as goofy (IMO). The top of the lens has to come at least to the top of the eyebrow.

Ralph_Kramden
11-08-2007, 05:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Edd:</font><hr> Thanks to all of you for these recommendations. I will explore them. <hr /></blockquote>

An inexpensive way to see what specific glasses for pool can do for you would be to visit a store that sells reading glasses.

Go to a store like Walmart or K Mart that has a large variety of glasses. Try all magnifications until you find a pair that allow you to focus and see clearly up to only about 12 feet.

For only about $10 or so you can at least get a feel for what glasses can do for you. IMO