PDA

View Full Version : Spiderman Update

Eric.
11-06-2007, 02:00 PM
Quote SPetty:

Turns out that Spiderman was minding his own business traveling down LBJ Freeway at about 65 miles an hour on his motorcycle when he was rear-ended. He said he sort of remembers driving down the road, and the next thing he knows, he's waking up in the emergency room. The cops said that there were a couple of cars racing on the highway, and one lost control and hit him.

I'm shocked that anyone could survive being knocked off their motorcycle at 65 miles per hour, and more shocked that he would think to call me about the weenies! He says he has a broken finger and possibly a broken ankle, but he sounded lucid and seemed to be mentally fine. But, he wouldn't make it to the party.
------------

I spoke to Spidey last nite. He's doing ok. Has a broken bone in his shoulder, banged up pretty good and is sorta bed ridden, but ok. No major injuries, thank God.

The biggest tragedy might be the fact that the guy that hit him claims he has no insurance and SPidey's bike is totaled, along with all his cues and case! If there is one bright spot, Rhonda found his fanny pack with drivers license/wallet/gun and house keys.

He's in good spirits and wanted to let everyone know.

Eric

dg-in-centralpa
11-06-2007, 02:09 PM
Best wishes to Spider.

DG

SPetty
11-06-2007, 03:32 PM
Wow! That is good news that she found the fanny pack with his stuff. I understand that the weenies he was carrying were scattered all over about 300 feet of the highway!

dr_dave
11-06-2007, 04:01 PM
Eric and Susan,

Thanks for the updates. Please pass on to Spiderman that we are all thinking about him and wishing him a fast recovery. I really look forward to seeing his first post-recovery post on the CCB.

I've been thinking about him a lot and can't help but thinking how much worse his fate could have been. Not only is he lucky (and blessed) to be alive, it is a miracle he doesn't have more broken bones and a need for extensive plastic surgery.

Regards,
Dave

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> Quote SPetty:

Turns out that Spiderman was minding his own business traveling down LBJ Freeway at about 65 miles an hour on his motorcycle when he was rear-ended. He said he sort of remembers driving down the road, and the next thing he knows, he's waking up in the emergency room. The cops said that there were a couple of cars racing on the highway, and one lost control and hit him.

I'm shocked that anyone could survive being knocked off their motorcycle at 65 miles per hour, and more shocked that he would think to call me about the weenies! He says he has a broken finger and possibly a broken ankle, but he sounded lucid and seemed to be mentally fine. But, he wouldn't make it to the party.
------------

I spoke to Spidey last nite. He's doing ok. Has a broken bone in his shoulder, banged up pretty good and is sorta bed ridden, but ok. No major injuries, thank God.

The biggest tragedy might be the fact that the guy that hit him claims he has no insurance and SPidey's bike is totaled, along with all his cues and case! If there is one bright spot, Rhonda found his fanny pack with drivers license/wallet/gun and house keys.

Eric
<hr /></blockquote>

Rich R.
11-06-2007, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the update Eric.
I hate to think about how much worse this could have been.
I wish Spidey a speedy recovery.

New2Pool
11-06-2007, 04:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> Quote SPetty:

Eric
<hr /></blockquote>

Probably a dang Frenchman driving!

Deeman3
11-06-2007, 04:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote New2Pool:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> Quote SPetty:

Eric
<hr /></blockquote>

Probably a dang Frenchman driving! <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Nope. But he was from a little south of Texas. </font color>

Jal
11-06-2007, 05:36 PM
Good luck to Spiderman. I hope his recovery is as quick and painless as possible. It sounds as if we won't be without his presence on the board for very long, which is good news.

Jim

Brian in VA
11-06-2007, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the update Eric! Tell Spidey I hope he has a short and painless recovery! He's a very luck guy!

Brian in VA

BillPorter
11-06-2007, 07:45 PM
Give Marty my best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Sid_Vicious
11-06-2007, 08:42 PM
You got that right! The guilty, road racing, was given a citation and released, even before knowing the outcome of even one day, after an injury accident. You wanna give me the orange crush that this "self imported" invader shows for the court date? Betcha anything you wish Dee, take me up. SUCKS! I would have been detained, plain and simple.

Spidey is still flat on his back, but optomistic of getting up maybe tomorrow. sid

Wally_in_Cincy
11-06-2007, 08:44 PM
Thanks Eric.

Thoughts and prayers to Spidey but considering the lack of injuries the prayers have probably already been answered.

Scary being a biker. Like Deeman said you have to assume the other guy is going to

1. Pull out in front of you
2. Turn left in front of you.
3. Pull into your lane and cut you off.

Being a biker certainly makes you a more defensive driver.

Wally &lt;~~ sold his bike in '84 to buy groceries.

Wally_in_Cincy
11-06-2007, 08:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> You got that right! The guilty, road racing, was given a citation and released, even before knowing the outcome of even one day, after an injury accident. You wanna give me the orange crush that this "self imported" invader shows for the court date? Betcha anything you wish Dee, take me up. SUCKS! I would have been detained, plain and simple.

Spidey is still flat on his back, but optomistic of getting up maybe tomorrow. sid <hr /></blockquote>

There's always the possibilty of a lawsuit but I am sure the miscreant has not the proper insurance.

Sid_Vicious
11-06-2007, 09:02 PM
No nada, all identification as far as I know is transparent. My gut feelings are that an ambulance chaser going against the municipilaty(sp?) would be the best call. Surely there's some avenue for justice. What does Protect And Serve for full blown taxpayers if not to detain somebody in an injury-accident? Seriously? Would you walk that soon? sid~~~assumes Wally isn't an illegal alien

Chopstick
11-07-2007, 08:03 AM
This is the first I have heard about this. I'm not sure what to think at this point.

Sid_Vicious
11-07-2007, 09:10 AM
Sorry about not calling you directly Charlie. sid

Deeman3
11-07-2007, 09:21 AM
Me too Charlie. I talked to Marty on Saturday night but was so happy he was not more badly hurt that I didn't think to call you. He didn't have a charger for his cell phone until hours after the wreck and he was very sore, of course.

Sid, I don't think, as I said in the other thread, that the guy will hang around the U.S. for long myself. Not sure if Marty has uninsured motorist but hope he does. He has to be sick over his bike and his cues. Does Texas just let these illegals go after an accident with injuries? Is it an ACLU thing or just the local policy?

Like you said, you'd be in jail. We can agree on that.

Wally_in_Cincy
11-07-2007, 02:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr>
The biggest tragedy might be the fact that the guy that hit him claims he has no insurance <hr /></blockquote>

Isn't that always the case? /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Man that really sucks.

Scott Lee
11-08-2007, 05:26 AM
Eric...Thanks for the update! I sure hope Marty heals up quickly! That sure sucks about his bike and cues. Terrific that Rhonda found his personal stuff...very lucky indeed!

On another note, I was hoping to maybe catch up with you at ABC. I was in there last night for about 3 hours, playing with Jude Rosenstock and a teammate of his.
Thought maybe Wendy or naz might show up too! Missed you all! Might be back in next Monday night! Gonna be around?

Scott Lee

MikeM
11-08-2007, 10:33 AM
Wow, Marty! All the best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery!

Mike

Eric.
11-08-2007, 10:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> Eric...Thanks for the update! I sure hope Marty heals up quickly! That sure sucks about his bike and cues. Terrific that Rhonda found his personal stuff...very lucky indeed!

On another note, I was hoping to maybe catch up with you at ABC. I was in there last night for about 3 hours, playing with Jude Rosenstock and a teammate of his.
Thought maybe Wendy or naz might show up too! Missed you all! Might be back in next Monday night! Gonna be around?

Scott Lee <hr /></blockquote>

Scott, I woulda had time after work, on Wed. Unfortunately, I didn't knwo you were in town.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

Eric

Scott Lee
11-09-2007, 12:41 AM
Eric...I may try to make it back in there Monday night or Tuesday during the day (I fly out at 4pm). Are you going to be around then?

Scott Lee

Eric.
11-09-2007, 11:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> Eric...I may try to make it back in there Monday night or Tuesday during the day (I fly out at 4pm). Are you going to be around then?

Scott Lee <hr /></blockquote>

I'm rarely in the city on weekends, usually NJ. I have time tonite, in NJ and Saturday, in NJ. Sunday I'll be playing a pool tourney at Comet billiards in Parsippany, NJ and Mon and Tues is back to work.

Lemme know if we can get our wchedules together, I'd love to shoot some with ya.

Eric

eg8r
11-12-2007, 07:29 AM
What a great story to hear that he is doing well after that accident. I agree with you on the tragedy... [ QUOTE ]
The biggest tragedy might be the fact that the guy that hit him claims he has no insurance... <hr /></blockquote> This just makes me so mad. I surely hope that there are some avenues that Spidey can take to get his stuff replaced and pay his medical bills.

eg8r

Qtec
11-13-2007, 11:21 AM
Just be glad he is alive.

get well soon S.

Q

SpiderMan
11-15-2007, 03:33 AM
Hi,

I just wanted to thank everyone for the calls and well-wishes, and give an update on the story. Hopefully this dialup connection doesn't crash - I type very slowly with this cast on my right hand.

What really happened? I haven't actually pieced it all together yet. I was knocked unconscious for about 2 hours. It was about 11:30 pm on a Friday night, busy 8-lane expressway in Dallas. I was riding my motorcycle to my girlfriend's house, about 10 minutes ETA. The plan was for me to go out to Pettypoint the next morning, help SPetty get the dogs on the grill, maybe shoot a little pool, then buzz back to Dallas and pick up Rhonda when she got off work.

I was carrying my cue case bungied sideways across the passenger seat. In the (hard fiberglass) saddlebags I had 5 lbs of hot dogs, a change of clothes, a slingshot, a spare jacket, my camera bag with accessories, a video camcorder with accessories, a velbon tripod, and some miscellaneous stuff that included a foot-long sub sandwich I was planning to have for breakfast. I was wearing dockers, tennis shoes, a t-shirt, a nylon jacket, and thin leather gloves. Plus a large fanny pack that contained my license, credit cards, money, insurance, and a 40-caliber Glock (more insurance).

I had just passed the Skillman St exit on eastbound LBJ Freeway. That's the last memory I have before waking up in the ER two hours later. I didn't know where I was or why. I was tied down, and in a neck brace. People were asking me for stuff like name and DOB. Later I realized the questions were because I had been a John Doe until I was revived - all my possessions, including ID, were scattered over about 200 yards of highway and embankment.

A cop was still with me. He needed an ID for his report. He's the guy who told me I'd been in an accident, rear-ended by a car whose driver had lost control while racing another car. They had pulled me from beneath the front of that car. He said the driver had no license or insurance, and "was probably not in the country legally". He also said the driver was ďcited and releasedĒ. In my daze, this statement probably didnít sound as absurd as it should have. Is it common to release someone with no ID or insurance, who causes a serious accident while committing a traffic violation, particularly if the victim is unconscious with unknown survival chances? I wonder if the guy even gave the cops his real name.

Then suddenly everyone was gone, and I was staring at the ceiling, still strapped and braced. The ceiling was fuzzy because I'd lost my glasses. And there was sand all over my face, in my eyes and mouth. My first thought was that I was DREAMING. So I thought back, to leaving my house, getting on the highway, etc, and realized that my memories ended at Skillman St. I could not remember completing my ride. I did not make it to Rhonda's house, did not go to bed, therefore was not dreaming.

Next I began to take a physical inventory. I found that I could move my right arm, but my hand was hurting. I brought it up to my face and saw that my trigger (nose) finger was broken. The skin was missing from the upper inside of my wrist, and blood ran down my arm. I put my hand back to my side, and felt that my right pants leg was in shreds. My outer right thigh was oozing blood also, but it surprisingly did not hurt. My right hip pocket was still intact, and my cell phone was in it. I brought it to my face, saw that it was after 2 AM, then called Rhonda and told her what little I knew. My right foot felt very cold and, because I could not see, I was afraid it might be gone. I carefully pushed my feet against one another and was rewarded with a very acute pain in my right ankle. At that time I realized I still had both feet, but only one shoe. Now I started checking out the left leg. The pants, as far as I could reach, didnít seem to be as badly torn. But then I checked the pocket, and it was ripped out. That would have been my house and truck key ring (gone). I brought my left hand up to my face and didnít see anything wrong with it. But my left leg hurt like hell below the knee, like it might be broken, so I tried to stretch my arm down and feel of my shin. Bad, bad move Ė made the left shoulder really, really hurt. Since then, MRIs have found a page and a half of stuff ripped inside that shoulder, and I still canít raise my left arm. The back of my head hurt really bad, but I figured out that this was two pressure points from the brace they had me in. I decided that the hard bits in my mouth were not tooth chips, only fine gravel.

About now the cop came back with a sack of my stuff from his car. Heíd picked up my cue case, my camcorder, my nylon jacket (somehow this had gotten ripped off me in the accident), my right shoe, and some other small stuff. I told him Iíd been carrying a gun in a fanny pack with my ID, and he said heíd go back and look for it. I donít think he did Ė Rhonda found it about 4am, in plain sight, about halfway up the embankment. When she went to pick it up, she stepped on my house keys. I had really been worried that someone would find both, rob my house, and steal my truck while I was in the hospital. All my cues were damaged, the ends of butts and shafts alike ground off as the bike slid on its side.

Rhonda showed up about 3 am, right after they did a brain scan and took off the neck brace. I asked her to go to her house and find me something to wear, and go by the scene to look for my gun and ID. Thatís when she found my fanny pack and keys, as mentioned above. She also said I didnít look as bad as she had feared. But by now the left leg and shoulder were hurting pretty bad. I think I must have landed on my left side initially, then slid or was dragged on my right. Much more structural damage on the left, and more gravel rash on the right. They took some x-rays and said my left shoulder was fractured, but the right trigger finger was not (!?!?).

An ER doc came in around 4:30, and said they were sending me home. He gave me a prescription for pain killers. I asked if I needed any antibiotics to keep the cuts and scrapes (there were a dozen or so I havenít mentioned, even one on my ass) from getting infected. He said no, they were going to clean the wounds before sending me home, but I would only need a tetanus shot. Then they sent me home without cleaning anything! Sometime during all this I called Spetty and told her what was going on.

Meantime Rhonda came back with a robe for me, and gave me the good news about finding my gun and keys.

I spent the next 3 days in her bed, still covered with gravel, blood, and grass. My shoulder, leg, ankle, ribs (I think a couple may be broken, as I canít cough or blow my nose), ass, back, and neck stiffened up so bad that all I could do was roll about 45 degrees to the right and piss in a bottle. She was SO HAPPY when I finally made it to the bathtub that she didnít mind the work of washing me.

Almost forgot to mention Ė one of my riding buddies went back to the scene at first light. He found some more of my stuff, including the sub sandwich, and said there was something really weird about the accident scene. From the beginning of the skid marks, over the curb, in the torn-up dirt, everywhere Ė there were bits and pieces of what appeared to be hot dogs. I guess I hadnít told him about the hot dogs.

Well, this has taken me nearly two hours to write and Iím tired, but I just canít get over how lucky I am to be here. I compare it to riding in the back of a pickup going 65 MPH down the highway, in heavy traffic, then diving out headfirst wearing a blindfold (to ensure that my landing is totally left to chance).

That's essentially what happened - I had no opportunity to plan anything, and I think I was out cold before I landed, maybe due to whiplash from being hit from behind, or maybe the car hit me also (I have a couple bruises on my head). All left to luck, and I didn't wind up dead. And the only "protective" clothing I had was a pair of thin gloves. NO HELMET! I WAS AN IDIOT! You couldn't pay me a million dollars to take a dive bareheaded and blindfolded at 65 MPH, but it happened and I lived. On that stretch of highway, there's something every 50 yards - sewer drain, sign post, guard rail, bridge, etc, but I didn't bang my head on any of them. And none of the other traffic ran over me, I don't think.

SpiderMan

Paul_Mon
11-15-2007, 06:51 AM
Given the circumstances it sounds like you were very lucky. Hope that you make a quick and complete recovery.

Paul

DickLeonard
11-15-2007, 07:30 AM
Spiderman I am glad to hear your still in one piece. Your certainly lucky that your injuries are not servere. I'll keep you in my thoughts.####

Deeman3
11-15-2007, 08:20 AM
Spiderman,

Glad tohave you back, even if it is dial-up for a while. Take care my lucky friend. Keep that Glock close by. It helps the healing process. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

dr_dave
11-15-2007, 02:12 PM
Spiderman, the death-defying superhero, has returned. It is great to have you back. Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery!

Regards,
Dave

Fran Crimi
11-15-2007, 02:57 PM
That's truly an amazing story. Glad to hear you're okay. If you believe any of the things like fate, karma, God, akashic records, book of life, etc. it would seem that you have things yet to do in your life, and you are by no means finished. Enjoy it!

Fran

Deeman3
11-15-2007, 03:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> That's truly an amazing story. Glad to hear you're okay. If you believe any of the things like fate, karma, God, akashic records, book of life, etc. it would seem that you have things yet to do in your life, and you are by no means finished. Enjoy it!

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> He certainly has to meet me back in Memphis for a Coleman's Large Pork Sandwich w/slaw. That will bring him back even if resusitation would have failed. </font color>

Wally_in_Cincy
11-15-2007, 03:54 PM
Like Fran said, that's quite a story. It sucks terribly what you have gone thru, including the sorry work of the hospital staff and the cops letting that guy go, but with no helemet I guess you are pretty lucky, all things considered. I guess it wasn't your time.

Cydpkt
11-15-2007, 04:32 PM
I also wonder how someone who "maybe" in the country illegally could be ticketed and released.
Glad to hear you are Ok and getting a long. Do you know if your cues were under you. They may have been some sort of buffer from the road.

Fran Crimi
11-15-2007, 04:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> That's truly an amazing story. Glad to hear you're okay. If you believe any of the things like fate, karma, God, akashic records, book of life, etc. it would seem that you have things yet to do in your life, and you are by no means finished. Enjoy it!

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> He certainly has to meet me back in Memphis for a Coleman's Large Pork Sandwich w/slaw. That will bring him back even if resusitation would have failed. </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

There you go....and if he ever comes to NY, he has a standing invitation for a hot pastrami on rye at Sarge's deli on 3rd Avenue.

Fran

BigRigTom
11-15-2007, 05:45 PM
Wow!
I don't know you personally but judging from your friends and their comments on this forum, you must be one of the good guys.

I have ridden bikes since I was 20 and I am now 57 and temporarily bikeless...in those 37 years I have never experience anything close to that and I don't know anyone else who has...I have had some harry spills but nothing remotely as scary as what you describe.
You have certainly got an angel on your shoulder...take good care of her.

Congratulations on surviving and with flying colors too.

Best wishes for a speedy and 100% recuperation and I look forward to seeing your post again.
Hope you'll get another bike and continue to ride too.

Sid_Vicious
11-15-2007, 10:03 PM
http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/readart.cgi?ArtNum=206647

Where's justice when these I-aliens get away with this, with our close friends and even a motorcycle cop and hit-and-run. Our government sucks!, and had it been one of us as the one nearly killng a middle class taxpayer, hit-and-run on a police officer, WE'D paid some jail time at least until the ER knew if he was crippled or killed!

There is a parallel story just last week...a co-workers mother in law had a birthday, a close friend of the mom-in-law was coming over with two riders along for the ride, and and illegal, all illegal facets(no registration, insurance, DL) the same in both these cases including Spiderman's, AND these travelers were head-on collided with an IL-driver, and all three citizens were required to be air lifted to hospitals. The illegal was ticketed and released the same day.

Now, some may say this is a rant, yet I ask, "What's the odds that in my small world that these events has happened in such a short time period?" IMO, we all have to stand up and shout for an end to "our laws" which apply differently for real citizens, and seperate applications for illegals road racing and nearly killing us. sid VICIOUS

Rich R.
11-16-2007, 12:51 AM
Thanks for the update Spidey. That is an amazing story, but thankfully, you are here to tell it. Obviously, it was not your time and I am happy for that.

Like others, I can't believe the action, or lack of action, by the police. Even if the guy wasn't illegal, with no ID, he should have never been released.

Take care of yourself. I wish you a speedy recovery. Stop in, when you can, and give us some short updates.

Brian in VA
11-16-2007, 11:32 AM
That has to be the most frightening thing I've ever read outside of a novel.

Spiderman, I'm so glad you're okay - recognizing that okay is a relative term. You certainly had someone watching over you on that accident.

Heal well and quickly pard! Let us know if there's anything we can do for you!

Brian in VA