PDA

View Full Version : Right or Wrong?

jjnn
11-06-2007, 08:56 PM
I bought a solid oak billiard table from Olhausen 6 years ago and it has been flawless. I kept the wood as natural oak. I just noticed the wood on ball & claw legs is beginning to split. This is happening to some degree on each leg. Is this something that I can expect as the table ages or is this a flaw in sealing the wood when the legs were made or ? The retailer is trying to tell me its from Katrina and not covered by the mfg but I live in Atlanta. Any thoughts?

Casey
11-06-2007, 10:32 PM
Katrina, wow thats creative...Your house did not get wet inside or excessively humid did it??
Have you dealt with Olhausen directly at all or just the retailer?
I pulled this quote directly off their site:
"Olhausen cures and processes its hardwood lumber to remain stable in any climate. Not only in a particular region such as the humid southeastern United States, but in the most arid climates ..." that was on this page of the Olhausen site. (http://www.olhausenbilliards.com/lumber_selection.php)

Here is their Warranty page. (http://www.olhausenbilliards.com/lifetime_warranty.php)
Is does state that a claim must be made through a retailer BUT if a retailer refuses to help maybe a call to Olhausen directly can "nudge" them a little.

Thats my advice but what do I know I'm new here (and an accused spammer??) maybe someone else has some better advice...

Brian in VA
11-07-2007, 06:30 AM
When you say it's beginning to split do you mean it's doing more than just forming some small cracks? As a woodworker, I can tell you that thicker pieces of material run the risk of checking (i.e. cracking) to a small degree as a result of changes in moisture content in a home. These changes occur naturally in all parts of the US, some more dramatic than others. As the other poster suggests, I'd also recommend calling Olhausen. My sense is that no harm will come to your table as a result of these unless the crack is extending up into the leg more than a few inches.

Brian in Va

Rackum_n_Crackum
11-07-2007, 11:06 AM
Just for kicks, I would go to a local floor covering store and ask them to rent or borrow their moisture meter...I would bet that you'll find a high moisture content in the wood....

jjnn
11-08-2007, 09:59 AM
Thanks Brian. One leg has deep crack about an inch long. Eventually that toe with break off. The rest of the cracks are slight and all are on the seams where the wood had been glued.

I did call Olhausen and they were great. I explained the problem. The service manager told me wood does split and he really didn't understand how the retailer concluded the damage was from water and not covered by the warrantee.

He asked me to call the retailer and have a rep look at the table in person and if I had any problem, to call him back.

Five years ago, the same retailer deliverd a solid maple table stained cherry and insisted it was what I had ordered. I called Olhausen and they sent the correct on the next truck. I can not say enough about great the service has been so far from Olhausen. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jjnn
11-08-2007, 10:06 AM
Well, I stretched the truth by saying Katrina. I think the fact that I am in Atlanta and the table is in a room surrounded by glass doors has something to do with it. Even more so may be the fact that most of the floor was built on an existing patio so they is much more variance in the floor temp than normal.

mantis
11-08-2007, 10:26 PM
You should have a dehumidifier in the room. I am sure the humidity is causing the glue to come undone. Especially in such a high humidity place with you room setup.

Brian in VA
11-09-2007, 03:28 PM
If you have crack forming on the glue line, it's definitely an issue. The glue line in any joint is stronger than the surrounding wood and shouldn't fail unless it was done correctly. What you're describing sounds like a case hardening crack to me which typically is caused by incorrectly drying the wood in the kiln. I hope that Olhausen takes care of it for you; sounds like they will! Good luck!

Brian in VA

KellyStick
11-10-2007, 08:29 AM
Listen to Brian. I also do woodworking and cracks along a glue line are not good news.

It sounds though like the cracks are in the thinner parts of the wood and maybe are more cosmetic than load bearing? IF so I still would not ignore but might be of lesser criticality... maybe...?