PDA

View Full Version : Pool vs. Golf

07-29-2002, 01:02 PM
I've been working on my golf game a lot over the past year, and I have finally come to the conclusion that pool is, in fact, the more difficult of the two games. Golf is, by far, more physically demanding, and because of that, many players never get past the mechanics and on to the actual game. In contract, pool is not very physically demanding at all, and many players, after mastering the physical requirements of pool, spend the rest of their pool-playing days trying to figure out how to actually play the game. Once the mechanics of either game are mastered, pool, in my opinion, clearly becomes the more difficult of the two. If a golfer can consistantly execute, say, 10 different shots (that is an estimate - flop shot, punch shot, draw, fade, etc), they would be a VERY good player. As a pool player, after mastering 10 shots, try taking those 10 shots on the road and see how long you last. So, to sum up my babbling, take mechanics out of the equation, and pool is the more difficult of the two games.

07-29-2002, 01:54 PM

Cueless Joey
07-29-2002, 02:14 PM
Top pros like Strickland, Varner, Davenport and Archer play decent pool. I bet Tiger can't shoot a lick in pool. LOL
I know of one pool player who used to play against Tiger in high school. He beat Tiger a few times. He improved his pool game very quickly though.

Tom_In_Cincy
07-29-2002, 02:19 PM
I gave up golf for Pool.

I don't have to change shoes, ONLY one Club (maybe two if you consider a break cue or jump cue) and you don't have to worry about RAIN. You don't have to wait 4 groups deep at the tees, You don't have to keep buying new balls, You don't have to wear those golf clothes anymore either.. AND, I never did like wearing a glove, Tan lines on the hand were a dead give-away you were a golfer..

I was a 15 handicapper when I quit.. and don't miss anything about the game at all.

Heat, hackers, slow-play, expensive everything, carts, pull-carts, RAIN, grass turning brown, aireated greens, greens that felt like green painted concrete. You can have them all..

Tom_In_Cincy
07-29-2002, 02:20 PM
Dave Bolman (House Pro at Q-Masters) use to be a pro golfer, and a good one.. too..

cheesemouse
07-29-2002, 02:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Jimmy M.:</font><hr> I've been working on my golf game a lot over the past year, and I have finally come to the conclusion that pool is, in fact, the more difficult of the two games. Golf is, by far, more physically demanding, and because of that, many players never get past the mechanics and on to the actual game. In contract, pool is not very physically demanding at all, and many players, after mastering the physical requirements of pool, spend the rest of their pool-playing days trying to figure out how to actually play the game. Once the mechanics of either game are mastered, pool, in my opinion, clearly becomes the more difficult of the two. If a golfer can consistantly execute, say, 10 different shots (that is an estimate - flop shot, punch shot, draw, fade, etc), they would be a VERY good player. As a pool player, after mastering 10 shots, try taking those 10 shots on the road and see how long you last. So, to sum up my babbling, take mechanics out of the equation, and pool is the more difficult of the two games. <hr></blockquote>

Jimmy M.
I pretty much agree with your statement and I often think of the two games and how they compare. I love both games and do my best to excel in both games. After countless hours of pondering for the secrets of each game I came to the conclusion that the games one fundamental difference is: In golf you get to go find and hit your mistakes and perhaps correct for that errant shot where in pool your opponent gets to hit your mistakes and you maybe benched for god knows how long. You sit there and wait for your opponent to make a mistake so you can get back to the table. In the final analysis pool is a game of 'makes' and golf is a game of 'good misses'. The pressure mounts in pool because you simply can't miss and hope to win; in golf you can relieve the pressure by correcting your error with a good recovery shot. I also agree that mechanics aside pool is the more challenging game for the mind. I find both games fascinating and concider myself lucky to have fallen in love with both games. I hope to play both till I drop. I feel sorry for people who live vicariously through their short careers in baseball, football, hockey, basketball and I think they would benefit by taking their butts off the couch and learn to play pool and golf the two games for life...Sorry if I got a little preachy.

07-29-2002, 03:24 PM
I did address the fact that, mechanically, golf was much more demanding than pool. Which is why many (most, actually - only something like 2% of all golfers break 100) golfers never get past the mechanics of the golf swing (they consistantly mis-hit the ball, slice, hook, etc.), and actually get to the point where they are playing the game of golf. Pool, on the other hand, is exactly the opposite. Just about all players, if they play long enough, master the physical requirements of the pool stroke. It is the game itself where the average player gets hung up. I believe that if a player were able to master ONLY the mechanics of both sports, that player would be a much better golfer than pool player.

07-29-2002, 03:46 PM
Consider this Greenleaf ran over 1000, 125 and out during his career. If anyone thinks golf is tougher than 14.1 they have never sat in a chair lost and never hit but their opening shot.

07-29-2002, 11:51 PM
Well, maybe if you took the two games and compared them in their purest forms, you might be right. But the only thing that makes me think that golf may have the edge over pool in difficulty factor is that pool is played in more of a controlled environment than golf. Wind, rain, humidity, heat, grass height, uphill, downhill, sidehill lies, buried bunker lies, wet sand, dry sand, hard greens, soft greens, hardpan, divot holes, fescue, and on and on. With pool, you may have to know more shots, but you're not dealing with nearly the constantly changing environment as with golf.

I don't know...maybe that makes it a tie.

Fran

07-30-2002, 12:20 PM
I would like somebody to post on a newsgroup about golf and raise this question. It would be interesting to see what golfers thought of this thread.

07-30-2002, 02:56 PM
The problem is that the golfers who post on the forum would also have to be pool players to understand all that is involved in pool. Golf is so much more of a popular sport that many who post on this board, are knowledgable enough to make the comparison. I doubt many people who post on golf forums know enough about pool to make an honest comparison. My guess is that they would immediately say that golf is a tougher game. On the surface, golf seems much more difficult because it's tougher to hit the ball effectively because the golf swing is so much more complex than the pool stroke.