PDA

View Full Version : Can somebody tell what type cue this is?

07-29-2002, 04:05 PM
I just got this cue in to work on and the customer is unsure what type it is. I would tend to think that it is a Heubler because of the insert in the shaft, but there is one that looks just like it on eBay right now that is a meucci. Any info would be helpful. Thanks....

Here are some pictures http://www.proficientbilliards.com/question.htm

Tom_In_Cincy
07-29-2002, 04:21 PM
Inch an a half ferrule... Meucci
Implex joint.. Meucci
Plastic insert in joint.. NOT Meucci
Thread looks like the metric that Meucci uses.
Exposed wrap.. not a Meucci standard

Meucci also signs the butt plate.. "Meucci" or "Meucci Original".

If I had to guess from looking at those pics.. its not a Meucci.. but I don't know enough about Heubler cues to say its one of them.

Harold Acosta
07-29-2002, 04:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: gypsy:</font><hr> I just got this cue in to work on and the customer is unsure what type it is. I would tend to think that it is a Heubler because of the insert in the shaft, but there is one that looks just like it on eBay right now that is a meucci. Any info would be helpful. Thanks....

Here are some pictures <a target="_blank" href=http://www.proficientbilliards.com/question.htm>http://www.proficientbilliards.com/question.htm</a> <hr></blockquote>

I'm not an expert but it definitely seems to be a Meucci.

Harold ~ didn't know that Meucci used stick-on logos on their cues...

Cueless Joey
07-29-2002, 04:45 PM
Maybe a Larry Hubbart made by Meucci?

07-29-2002, 08:45 PM
I am no expert, by any means, but I do have 3 Hueblers, 2 of them pretty old and one silver anniversary edition. the alternating light and dark wood inlay above and below the wrap,( on the butt) and above the joint on the shaft look very similar to the work on my older cues,although much larger (although that could be the photo) and the nylon insert definitely looks like the Huebler insert, but I certainly could not tell you for sure. You might want to check out "the blue book of pool cues" by brad simpson- it is often a good tool for identifying some of the older cues- try checking out www.cuebook.com (http://www.cuebook.com) Patti I

Voodoo Daddy
07-29-2002, 10:26 PM
The block work gives it away to me. From what I can see from the pic its a Huebler. Is there a synthetic liner in the shaft threading? Too much space in the butt cap for it to be a Meucci...I think.

Scott Lee
07-29-2002, 11:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Inch an a half ferrule... Meucci
Implex joint.. Meucci
Plastic insert in joint.. NOT Meucci
Thread looks like the metric that Meucci uses.
Exposed wrap.. not a Meucci standard

Meucci also signs the butt plate.. "Meucci" or "Meucci Original".

If I had to guess from looking at those pics.. its not a Meucci.. but I don't know enough about Heubler cues to say its one of them.

<hr></blockquote>

Tom...Believe it or not...this was my FIRST cue! It IS a Meucci, and was not signed anywhere. But Huebler made this design from 1975 on...

Scott

BLACKHEART
07-30-2002, 12:17 AM
Voodoo Daddy usually knows his stuff &amp; this time he is right on. It's a Hubler...JER

TonyM
07-30-2002, 12:24 AM
I'd say it's a Heubler.

tony

MaineEAck
07-30-2002, 12:25 AM
I would have to guess Heubler just b/c of the joint.... But i am not 100% sure.

TonyM
07-30-2002, 12:26 AM
"Thread looks like the metric that Meucci uses."

Since when do Meucci use a metric thread? I've only ever seen Meucci's with 5/16 x 18 thread joint pins. That's as imperial as you can get!

Tony

SpiderMan
07-30-2002, 12:36 AM
In the early/mid 1970s, there were Meucci cues made with no markings, and they did have a translucent plastic shaft insert as the one you have. But the wood/block "rings" do not look like anything I have ever seen on a Meucci. Maybe it is Heubler, I wouldn't know because I'm not familiar with Heublers. Can you measure the diameter at the joint? I have a 1975 Meucci that I can compare.

If you don't get complete consensus from the group here, I know a guy back in Mississippi who probably made it if it is an old Meucci - he was the foreman in the first Meucci facility on Getwell Road. I'll have to take him the picture next time I go, though, he's not online.

Spiderman

Voodoo Daddy
07-30-2002, 01:49 AM
Spiderman...the reason I say its a Huebler is the block work first. Meucci used to inlay a plastic ring before the butt cap in most all of their cues. It looks like the old "Tournament Champion" {given out to regional winners of the World Series of Pool Qualifiers in the 70's and 80's} series by Meucci but its not...from what the picture tells me, Huebler all the way.

PastPrime
07-30-2002, 09:38 AM
I was told by someone (I think Old Man Huebler) that he and Meucci made cues together before they went their own ways and this looks like one from their era. You can call Huebler direct and he will tell you if it's his or probable anyone else's.

07-30-2002, 10:53 AM
Thanks for your help guys....

Tom_In_Cincy
07-30-2002, 09:11 PM
My bad, Tony.. I thought it was a metric pitch.. the number of turns...must have thrown me off..

Tom_In_Cincy
07-30-2002, 09:18 PM
Scott..
I saw some of the MO-1 thru MO-7 in the early 70s that Bob Meucci made.. I had a MO-7 that replaced a Hubbert cue that I owned at one time. Meucci cues could get the same amount of reaction on the cue ball with much less distance from center..than the cues I had played with at the time.... about a half of tip closer to center for the same amount of action on the cue ball. I really liked Meucci cues at the time.. Still like the older Meucci Originals..

I had forgot that the very first cues that Bob Meucci made didn't have any signature "Muecci Originals" on them.. That was back in the middle 70s.. And, I think Bob worked with Hubler for a while.. or was influenced by Hubler early on..

Chris Cass
07-31-2002, 02:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> The block work gives it away to me. From what I can see from the pic its a Huebler. Is there a synthetic liner in the shaft threading? Too much space in the butt cap for it to be a Meucci...I think. <hr></blockquote>

Hi Voodoo,

My special agents tell me it looks like the Huebler model AS-H4. It's owned by Bill Millican from Dallas Tx. He knows it's a huebler however having only one checker board ring in the butt vs the AS-H4 model.

Regards,

C.C.

08-04-2002, 12:34 AM
As the owner of the cue currently listed on eBay, I can state with very good (now) authority that this is indeed a Huebler. Information was gathered by a Huebler collector in Germany, and confirmed by Huebler in the US. The model at auction is a QB, and was most likely manufactured in the mid 70's. I had purchased the cue new in 1977, believing it to be a Meucci.

John Schwab
jschwab@dslnorthwest.net

Chris Cass
08-04-2002, 09:37 AM
Hi John,

So much for my spys. It's hard to find good help now days. LOL Looks like there's 2 out there so far.

Regards,

C.C.

ted harris
08-04-2002, 09:26 PM
Bingo! Right you are!