PDA

View Full Version : Why pool is dying?

Cueless Joey
11-08-2007, 04:15 PM
Just visit the NAZibilliards.com forum.
Dishonest sellers and flippers , keyboard warriors, Don Rickles wannabe's, Mzrxists and Narcissists etc.
Joey~Just ranting~

Ralph_Kramden
11-08-2007, 04:48 PM
Joey.. Wanna' buy a watch? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I agree. If you join a specific forum to read about that subject, that is why you joined.

I joined this forum because after being just a non-posting reader, I found there are very good discussions about pool & billiards here.

Dr. Dave and Bob Jewett (just to name two) have many good articles that everyone could learn from, even if the readers are very good players and/or instructors.

I don't know much even though I have played for years. I am willing to share my thoughts here even if there may be some disagreement.( IMO )

PS: Are you sure you don't wanna' buy a watch?

1Time
11-08-2007, 07:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> Just visit the NAZibilliards.com forum.
Dishonest sellers and flippers , keyboard warriors, Don Rickles wannabe's, Mzrxists and Narcissists etc.
Joey~Just ranting~ <hr /></blockquote>

Without adequate moderation of a forum, those behaviors would occur regardless of whether pool was dying or thriving.

With adequate moderation, a forum can be a cyber place for all to enjoy. And it would increase participation in the forum and help the sport.

Tom_In_Cincy
11-09-2007, 02:47 AM
The only difference between AZB's new set of posters and a pool hall, is; in a pool hall you have a face and a name to KICK OUT.

Bob_Jewett
11-09-2007, 12:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> Just visit the NAZibilliards.com forum.
I don't visit the for sale forum very often. It seems to me that eBay for all its faults at least has some measure of feedback and protection. And why would anyone buy a cue that they can't try out first?

For the parts that I do visit, I find AZB more or less like this forum except there are many more posters there. There is a lot more chaff but there is more wheat as well.

As for the health of pool, I don't think we really have to worry about it although a lot of people do. I've heard that retail sales are down because of the housing market problem -- most sales of pool equipment are to home owners, I guess. I expect that to recover. People still play and have fun playing.

Warbler
11-09-2007, 10:47 PM
I wasn't aware that pool was dying

Calling Paul Newman! We need another Fast Eddie movie!!

dklong92
11-28-2007, 08:29 AM
Remember, in the late 50's, early 60's we had The Hustler. In the Late 80's it was The Color of Money. When the Color of Money hit the Big Screen, people started flocking to Pool Halls. Family Friendly places opened all over the place. O'Rileys in Denton, TX opened in 89 and was filled to capacity from Thursday night thru Sunday night. Same with O'Rileys in Lewisville, TX.

Now we need another movie like The Color of Money to bring a whole new generation of players out of the woodwork /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

New2Pool
11-28-2007, 08:42 AM
Pool as a sport is a tough sell. Since so much of pool is a mental game it is kind of like watching a chess match. Any amatuer can hit most of the shots a pro can hit we just can't hit them consistently or on purpose!

When I see Brett Farve make a great pass I am impressed at his skill and I know there is no way I ever could have done that. The average amatuer seldom sees that type of shot in a pool tournament. The pros make it look too easy.

I can't understand NASCAR's appeal but you are right, if you can make watching cars drive around a track a popular sport you should be able to make anything popular. I think it might have something to do with the chance of seeing an accident on the track and the fans consuming alcohol off the track.

If there was a way to sell pool as a social activity, like golf, maybe it would catch on more.

DeadCrab
11-28-2007, 09:46 AM
Now we need another movie like The Color of Money to bring a whole new generation of players out of the woodwork

Look for the upcoming "Kid Delicious" movie which is supposed to star Jack Black. The book has some themes in it (bipolar illness, obesity, drugs)that if handled properly could make it have broad appeal (like the original "Hustler"), rather than just another ball-slamming pool movie.

dklong92
11-28-2007, 09:58 AM
You're right...Color of Money is a Ball Slamming Pool Movie. But, if you look at our society now days, they don't have the patience for anything. They want everything now now now...no better make that yesterday! That is what makes the appeal of Color of Money so strong. Fast paced movie based on 9-Ball, a fast paced game.

I do look forward to another movie that revolves around Pool...but if it is anything like The Hustler, I am afraid it won't have the draw that Color of Money did.

SKennedy
11-28-2007, 10:59 AM
I'm patient...for the most part, but I still sometimes like a fast-paced game (9-ball), and sometimes like to get in quite a few games within a short period of time. I know that many don't care much for 9-ball, and it's not my most favorite game, but I play it much differently than 8-ball and sometimes I just need to do something different. I'm also generally an aggressive player and 9-ball allows me the opportunity to really be aggressive...often to my detriment! 9-ball wasn't invented recently....it's been around for quite awhile now. It serves its purpose and has helped introduce new players to billiards. WPBA 9-ball is great to watch!
And for a "money" player what's wrong with a fast-paced game..and you can have more than 1 money ball, etc.?

bataisbest
11-28-2007, 06:28 PM
Pool is dying because of the stigma attached to it- that it is played in grungy ,dark rooms with vices- alcohol and smoking - and lots of gambling, women, etc. For the serious and dedicated player, It is here to stay. I enjoy the intricacies of the game and the joy of competing win or lose. It really depends on what you play for- recreation or to become a better player.

Rich R.
11-28-2007, 10:16 PM
This is exactly why I have been visitin NAZibilliards less and less. There is just too much garbage.
For the most part, you will find me here on the CCB or on the IP forum.

Alfie
11-28-2007, 11:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> Mzrxists<hr /></blockquote>What is that?

slow_roller
12-04-2007, 04:59 PM
In my city, San Francisco, most all the good pool halls have closed over the last 10-15. The couple that are left are uncomfortably crowded, indicating there is interest in the game, but not enough to support many venues. Yes, San Francisco is atypical (in many ways), but I think the economics of ever higher real estate costs in many places might have something to do with the decrease in popularity of the game. If there's no place to play, people don't play.

Shaft
12-04-2007, 05:56 PM
Facts of life:
* Almost all public pool tables are now located in bars, which only perpetuates the seedy image of the game.
* My 13 year old likes the game, but would rather play PS2 just about any day.
* College students love the game, but usually can't afford a table.

All of us pool nuts should emphasize that pool is a terrific game for family and friends, and discourage, as much as possible the seedy image.

Here are my suggestions:
* Support your local league, and especially push for family leagues,
* Support family-friendly sports restaurants that offer tables,
* Develop and share new game and handicapping ideas so all skill levels can compete,
* Support new equipment ideas even if they deviate from "holy tradition," but could make the game more affordable and accessible to everyone.

The next crop of pool players is 5-12 years old. How is pool reaching them?

bbuddha
12-04-2007, 08:15 PM
Tennis went through a slow demise and yet to recover. Golf headed in the same direction yet slowed by Tiger Wood's influence. I don't pretend to have the answers but do work in golf and the ideas from various groups are flying. Some; way, way out of the box. With that, pool has some very special advantages and appeal. I've seen others throw their very expensive golf clubs (I would never..right?). Don't see a lot of cues thrown. Already alluded to is family appeal...I would say FAMILY every time I mention pool. Also, municipalities have spent beaucoups $'s on skateboard parks, golf courses, bike trails....and the like. We could push for pool tables in Senior Centers, Youth Centers, Country Clubs (yep, as our population ages, country clubs are struggling - as an older fellow , I'm not going on the club fitness trail but sure would play some pool, establish a league, etc.). Could be good for country clubs as a way to hold on to older members who limit their golf- a food and beverage business +. I first shot pool at a small town YMCA. Alwayd wanted a table since then. Finally got one as am moving back to that same small town. First thing bought for the house was a table. Bought logo cues for the various colleges my kids or nephews attended. The rule is they have to play with their alma mater's stick. Two family members are already moving toward their first purchase of a table and one more member in the wings.

Apologize for the long post - first time posting - will slim it down.

Cheers

New2Pool
12-05-2007, 07:14 AM
Pool would be the perfect game for business executives. It is easier to get access to a table than it is a golf course. You can have a conversation while playing. Weather is not a factor. You can observe whether or not people plan ahead and how they deal with adversity. You can have different levels playing and still have fun, women are not at a large disadvantage, and you can play enough to be decent without it costing a ton of money.

The problem is that someone has to start first. If you had one powerful top executive put a couple of high end tables at their corporate office to play some pool with visitors then it would catch on with his/her network and spread. You would probably ever see some corporate competition regarding who has the best tables, cues, etc...

But how do you get that first business person to buy into the idea?