PDA

View Full Version : That Was Then, This Is Now

S0Noma
11-10-2007, 07:16 AM
School, 1967 vs. 2007

Scenario: Jack goes quail hunting before school, pulls into school parking lot with shotgun in gun rack.

1967 - Vice principal comes over to look at Jack’s shotgun. He goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.
2007 - School goes into lock down, and FBI is called. Jack is hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fistfight after school.

1967 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up best friends.
2007 - Police called. SWAT team arrives. Johnny and Mark are arrested and charged with assault. Both are expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario: Jeffrey won’t be still in class, disrupts other students.

1967 - Jeffrey sent to office and given a good paddling by the principal. He returns to class, sits still, and does not disrupt class again.
2007 - Jeffrey is diagnosed with ADD and given huge doses of Ritalin; becomes a zombie. School gets extra money from state because Jeffrey has a learning disability.

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his neighbor’s car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.

1967 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.
2007 - Billy’s dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is placed in foster care and joins a gang. State psychologist convinces Billy’s sister that she remembers being abused herself, and their dad goes to prison. Billy’s mom has affair with psychologist.

Scenario: Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.

1967 - Mark shares aspirin with principal out on the smoking dock.
2007 - Police called. Mark is expelled from school for drug violations. Car is searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from 4th of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle, and blows up a red ant bed.

1967 - Ants die.
2007 - Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, Homeland Security, and FBI called. Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism. The FBI investigates parents; siblings are removed from home; computers confiscated. Johnny’s dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario: Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Heather. Heather hugs him to comfort him.

1967 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.
2007 - Heather is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces three years in state prison. Johnny undergoes five years of therapy.

That Was Then, This Is Now (http://dmiessler.com/blogarchive/that-was-then-this-is-now)

hondo
11-10-2007, 09:06 PM
I started teaching in 1976 & retired in 2007
and, believe me, that post is correct.
Why I decided to get out.

LWW
11-11-2007, 06:59 AM
So, you both finally admit the damage that moonbats politics have done to our society. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LWW

wolfdancer
11-11-2007, 02:16 PM
I remember way back when....a H.S. teacher friend of mine had this idea for keeping the class in line...in the first few days he'd figure out which one was the class trouble-maker, then he'd set him up, and make an example out of him...I think he added a little corporal punishment to get the point across. Claimed it worked...and he was never in trouble over it, when I knew him.
Probably be arrested, sued, and imprisoned nowadays. did you read about the teacher that was just denied the right to bring a gun to school for protection?
I don't understand it...the kids are armed...why can't the teachers be also? How about a fair fight??
web page (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21714479/)

hondo
11-11-2007, 07:48 PM
Trust me. We don't want guns in school, period!

eg8r
11-12-2007, 03:08 PM
That post is so true. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Deeman3
11-12-2007, 03:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hondo:</font><hr> Trust me. We don't want guns in school, period! <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">Hondo, I think what you mean to say is we don't want more guns in school, period. If we can't even fix the rediculous fact that a teacher would think he/she needa gun, all is lost in education anyway. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif </font color>

Gayle in MD
11-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Pretty funny, /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif or is it sad? We tree hugging, terrorist loving, always looking for a hand out, liberal baby killers, get it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

S0Noma
11-12-2007, 03:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> That post is so true. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

When my middle son was in the fifth grade he was goofing around with a friend at lunch time and tossed an un-opened packet of ketchup at him.

About a half an hour later the principal called and told me that he was being sent home for the day and to come pick him up.

On the report that she wrote up she specifically cited the charge against him that led to his expulsion for the day:

It read: 'Using ketchup as a weapon'

Since then, he has overcome his criminal past and gone on in life to do good things - his elementary school record has long since been sealed. But things were touch and go there for a while...

Deeman3
11-12-2007, 04:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote S0Noma:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> That post is so true. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

When my middle son was in the fifth grade he was goofing around with a friend at lunch time and tossed an un-opened packet of ketchup at him.

About a half an hour later the principal called and told me that he was being sent home for the day and to come pick him up.

On the report that she wrote up she specifically cited the charge against him that led to his expulsion for the day:

It read: 'Using ketchup as a weapon'

Since then, he has overcome his criminal past and gone on in life to do good things - his elementary school record has long since been sealed. But things were touch and go there for a while... <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> But what if it's on his "permanent record!" /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif That thing used to frighten all of us...the record, not the ketchup...</font color>

eg8r
11-12-2007, 07:05 PM
That is crazy. I am not sure what I am going to do with my son. He is 14 months old and one heck of a bully. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif When he sees something he likes he makes a decision very quickly and proceeds to push everything out of the way to get it. I definitely know my wife and I have a handful with this one. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I am sure I will be getting crazy explanations like that one once my son is off to school.

eg8r

Qtec
11-12-2007, 10:06 PM
johnny tells his mother that the coach/scoutmaster/next door neighbor etc is touching his private parts.
1967. Mother tells Johnny that coach etc is just being friendly and tells him not to mention it again.....

Its not all bad. There are two sides to the coin.

http://www.eryptick.net/oz2002/kuranda/flower-power-020716.jpg

Q;; /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif