PDA

View Full Version : Lake Gitchigumi

wolfdancer
11-10-2007, 11:02 PM
There was a story about this on Tv yesterday, and my Uncle George, who sailed the lakes for many years, did not sign on with his best friend, for that last trip, so the sinking was both a local tragedy, but poignant for my family.
And it's a good song......
web page (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_8s2zsNhSM)

pooltchr
11-11-2007, 05:22 AM
Wow, What a great video! Having spent quite a bit of time at sea, I can relate to the event. And I always loved that song!
Thanks for the post.
Steve

Vapros
11-11-2007, 08:53 AM
I remember Lake Gitche Gumee from Longfellow's tale of Hiawatha and his fishing, but I never knew it referred to an actual lake until now, or that that was where the Edmund Fitzgerald went down. The indian boy killed a huge sturgeon there in the poem.

Was this another version of the song recorded by the Kingston Trio?

pooltchr
11-11-2007, 09:00 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Lake Gitchigumi was the indian name for Lake Superior.
Steve

wolfdancer
11-11-2007, 12:45 PM
Steve, having grown up on the shores of Lake Erie, we knew about how treacherous the lakes can be especially in the fall. It's the rapidly rising lake bottom and winds that create a swirling effect of the waves.
Once while driving my friend's 36 ft Hatteras back to Cleveland from a weekend's orgy at put-in-bay...I was the only one sober enough to pilot the ship, also the only one awake...we ran into darkening skies and an electrical storm that had the compass spinning in circles...and no land marks to guide me...occasionally I'd spot another boat in the distance off to my port side, so I figured I was still heading home, and not on my way to Canada....Well somehow we made it....
The CG on the Great Lakes has their hands full on a daily basis, mostly rescuing small boats....and once...some friends of mine were ice fishing on the lake in the Buffalo area...a large area of ice broke off...including the one they were fishing from...and they were now floating off into the sunset...and heading for the Niagara River and eventually Niagara Falls. A CG helicopter picked them up off the ice. I had a newspaper photo of that for a long time....
you guys did good work.....