PDA

View Full Version : Stepping in all the little traps

Vapros
07-29-2002, 07:24 PM
Got a pool problem. I play one-pocket and when I'm going bad - really scuffling - I find myself drawn to all the little traps on the table. If I'm shooting the long two-railer and I want to follow the object ball, but there's a scratch in the side pocket if I don't hit it right in the face, I will make the little error and scratch in the side pocket and give up ball in hand.

I'm shooting the eleven straight in and the six is not quite in the way, but almost is, and I'm drawn to the little error and I'll nick it as the eleven goes by. I see these traps in advance, but step in them anyway! They draw me like a magnet when I'm struggling. It's like hunting for more trouble than I already have.

Does that sound familiar to you?

phil in sofla
07-29-2002, 08:17 PM
These things happen to me (not in 1-hole, since I don't play that game), and I have a theory that it is the subconscious doing its best with incomplete instructions.

That is, telling someone 'don't think about a pink elephant' isn't as effective for getting pachyderm-free thoughts as telling them 'think of big fluffy clouds in the shape of birds.'

This is my theory. When you verbally tell yourself something the left brain understands, like 'don't scratch,' 'don't nick that intervening ball,' etc., your subconscious isn't all that good at understanding the 'don't' part, and pretty much delivers what you are telling yourself you don't want.

Same as with a golfer trying to get the ball over the drink to the green. If he thinks, 'don't hit it in the water,' likely it'll go there. What he has to do instead is mentally envision the shot he actually wants, which lands up on the green, past the water. That is the kind of programming/request the right brain can fully grasp, and then execute with the body.

I take this from my own experiences, wherein I'll look at the only ball that could snooker me to keep me from getting out, tell myself to avoid it, and then find myself at a pinpoint location I couldn't have achieved if I practiced it, exactly where I didn't want to be, dead snookered. That proves to me that a) my subconscious/right brain or whatever it is has near-genius like abilities to do things on the pool table that are amazing, and b) I sure as hell better not give it misleading or incomplete instructions, or very bad things may happen, LOL!

Another example is on a 3-ball out, thinking about the last ball when I'm shooting the 1st ball, I end up with perfect shape on the 3rd ball (which only accidentally may work for the 2nd ball). I KNOW I'm going for shape on the 2nd ball, not the 3rd, but unless I vividly image that shape, my last thought on the 3rd ball's shape gets into the mix, and the body acts on that information.

On some occasions, when I change my mind to shoot a shot differently, I don't get that thought completely across from conscious mind to executing mind/body system, and I'll actually make the first shot I was thinking of instead of what I had decided to do. Because I didn't get as vivid an instruction through on the change of plans as I had on my original plan.

Weird, but I'm convinced that is what is happening.

dddd
07-29-2002, 11:04 PM
do you play often?
if you do you will come to this conclusion ,
there is no need to try to make every ball of every shot,
missing wide or short to control whitey is many times a better shot.
the 2 rail up the length of the table is a fine shot and can come up often is your opponent is careless, or wants you to turn loose of whitey. but by shooting is short or long depending of placement can be very troublesome for your opponent, by leaving balls constantly down near your pocket and forcing him or her to move them constantly will provide dividends
play it to get close as you can to your pocket without moving whitey out in the open, caroming off other balls is another benefit perhaps you will tangle up and hide balls from his view, even better.

the eleven straght in well in one pocket the hard shot is the straight in shot, and will continue to be.
after battling back and forth, slow rolling, playing safes, moving and hiding... well now that straight in shot becomes larger than normal, you never have one and now you do
pre-shot routine and shoot it

or in some cases if you are having the devil of a time, go to another shot, play placement and safe instead of that shot that can terrorize you ...

07-30-2002, 08:33 AM

Troy
07-30-2002, 08:58 AM
I think the key is DISCIPLINE ..... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Troy...~~~ Easier said than done however

bluewolf
07-30-2002, 02:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: whitewolf:</font><hr> Reminds me of a funny story which has had me perplexed for about 40 yrs. My next door neighbor was speeding on his bicycle towards my house and instead of hitting the breaks, he starts peddling faster and slams into the brick wall. I busted a gut laughting and asked him what happened to his brain.

I think there is definetly something going on with the brain getting confused. Personally, I have done this many times and just laugh it off as if I had just had a "death wish". Ever stood on a bridge and just imagined jumping off to your death? I think we are all crazy (or maybe it's the devil at work)- pool just brings this out more than any other sport LOL. I am sure that Bluewolf will have an explaination! <hr></blockquote>

as i read your story, i thought of my son at 18 living in montana. they went snowmobiling and said that every tree was a hooming beacon for him.

as far as thoughts go, when we have these weird thoughts (for me i would be jumping off the bridge and flying like i was on a hang glider or something) and think nobody has thoughts as weird, so we keep em to ourselves lest the world think we are what we are, crazy. but then there is crazy good and crazy bad &lt;VBG&gt;

bluewolf