PDA

View Full Version : new project to end stupidity online

moblsv
11-12-2007, 09:03 PM
The Internet has vastly broadened the level of discourse in the world. No one can deny this, however, much of this discourse involves inane behavior, kindergarten level banter, and a lot of," You suck troll!!". It is clear that since the onslaught of Eternal September back in 1993, Net content has become much less intelligent. It is with this in mind that Gabriel Ortiz and Paul Starr started a new Open Source initiative, StupidFilter. StupidFilter promises to employ techniques, such as Bayesian filtering and rules processing, to allow blogs and browsers to detect stupidity in progress. We think it is very ironic (not to mention damned hilarious) that a few lines of code could outthink your average testosterone challenged, uncivil Netizen. Are computers smarter than we thought, or are people just less intelligent than we ever imagined?

"The concept behind the StupidFilter Project originated during a conversation between Gabriel Ortiz and Paul Starr. StupidFilter was conceived out of necessity. Too long have we suffered in silence under the tyranny of idiocy. In the beginning, the internet was a place where one could communicate intelligently with similarly erudite people. Then, Eternal September hit and we were lost in the noise. The advent of user-driven web content has compounded the matter yet further, straining our tolerance to the breaking point."

It's time to fight back.

http://stupidfilter.org/main/

pooltchr
11-13-2007, 04:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote moblsv:</font><hr> Are computers smarter than we thought, or are people just less intelligent than we ever imagined?

<hr /></blockquote>

Unfortunately, in some cases, I think the latter may be true! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Steve

Chopstick
11-13-2007, 07:59 AM
I was thinking along a similar line last night. Not about stupidity but something more serious. I believe I can see the end of the world. The technology of interchange, and the number of participants, will increase. Modern society lacks a sufficient conceptual foundation to be able to handle The inrush of all of the ideas that will be flying through everyones heads. We already see the rise of conceptual racism. We hate you because of what you think.

Our traditional bastions of institutionalized thought that we rely upon to make sense of the world, religions, philosophies, various morality schemes, etc., will not be sufficient to handle the shear weight of numbers that is coming.

In the end, the world will simply go mad. Perhaps it always was.

DickLeonard
11-13-2007, 08:55 AM
Chopstick I can see the Ape family 10,000 years ago and the mother ape is talking to the father ape. I don't know what to do with young Georgie he always has his thing in his hand trying to start a forest fire. Will you tell him that all that rubbing won't work, he doesn't believe me.####

SKennedy
11-13-2007, 09:48 AM
You are right sir! Despite all the changes....some things never change.
Last night I was thinking about clones....human clones. That was so far-fetched at one time and now, it can certainly be a reality. Does a clone have a soul? Just think of the implications human cloning would have...good and bad. Remember the Star Wars book about the Clone Wars? Man is too smart for his own good.