PDA

View Full Version : 10-Ball

Edd
11-13-2007, 08:30 AM
Is this a relatively new game? If not, what is it's history? And, finally, are the rules the same as 9-Ball?

Ralph_Kramden
11-13-2007, 09:04 AM
6 ball, 7 ball, 9 ball and 10 ball are played the same way. All these games have been around a long time.

Years ago in 7 ball a player called a side pocket for the 7 ball. One player called one side pocket and the opponent would have the opposite side pocket. Each player would have to pocket the 7 in their own pocket to win. I haven't heard of anyone using this rule lately.

I know players that would rather play 10 ball instead of 9 ball.

Fran Crimi
11-13-2007, 09:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph_Kramden:</font><hr>
Years ago in 7 ball a player called a side pocket for the 7 ball. One player called one side pocket and the opponent would have the opposite side pocket. Each player would have to pocket the 7 in their own pocket to win. I haven't heard of anyone using this rule lately.

<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">I think it has't been used lately because most people don't know about that rule. The game was created and copyrighted by Charlie Ursitti. The WPBA played it in their first ever televised tournament. I believe the rule was that you had to pick a side of the table to pocket the 7 ball, so you actually had 3 pockets to use. I forget how the side is determined. I think it alternates each game.

Fran</font color>

Eric.
11-13-2007, 12:30 PM
Same rules as (current) 9 ball rules, but a tougher game. It's not just "1 extra ball".

Eric

randyg
11-13-2007, 12:39 PM
Great game. The rules for Tournament 10-Ball and Ring game 10-Ball are different.....SPF=randyg

Derek
11-13-2007, 12:59 PM
Back when the men's tour was a little more well-organized -- Camel tour? -- they used the last stop in Denver for a 10-ball tournament versus the normal 9-ball tourneys. They used to hold some qualifiers in the area for a handful of local players. My game was a long ways off for being well-rounded enough to mount multiple victories, but a good buddy of mine qualified. Nice thing was after he qualified the first time, he was on their sub list for a contact if some of the pros backed out of the tourney. So he qualified one year, and then was contacted the next couple of years as a sub replacement. Then the men's tour folded as they tend to always do.

10-ball is fun. Not enough people play it or promote it. It sounds like a lot of pros would rather play it and it would probably remedy the whole soft break issue. The big problem I see is 9-ball is so glorified and set in stone that it would take a monumental effort for the masses to switch to 10-ball.

Eric.
11-13-2007, 01:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> Great game. The rules for Tournament 10-Ball and Ring game 10-Ball are different.....SPF=randyg <hr /></blockquote>

Good point. Two totally different animals, kinda like tourney 9 ball vs ring game 9 ball.

Eric

okinawa77
11-13-2007, 01:16 PM
15 ball is even more challenging.

Edd
11-13-2007, 02:24 PM
Thanks, everyone for the feedback and clarification.

Ralph_Kramden
11-13-2007, 06:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr>
<font color="blue">I think it has't been used lately because most people don't know about that rule. The game was created and copyrighted by Charlie Ursitti. The WPBA played it in their first ever televised tournament. I believe the rule was that you had to pick a side of the table to pocket the 7 ball, so you actually had 3 pockets to use. I forget how the side is determined. I think it alternates each game.

Fran</font color> <hr /></blockquote>

You are correct. It was one side of the table that was selected instead of a side pocket. If my memory serves me correctly I believe it was the non-breaking player that named which side of the table he/she wanted immediately after the break shot.

I still have an old 7 ball rack but usually just used a 9 ball rack turned sideways. Maybe the 7 ball rack would now be a good eBay item. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran Crimi
11-13-2007, 06:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph_Kramden:</font><hr>

You are correct. It was one side of the table that was selected instead of a side pocket. If my memory serves me correctly I believe it was the non-breaking player that named which side of the table he/she wanted immediately after the break shot.

I still have an old 7 ball rack but usually just used a 9 ball rack turned sideways. Maybe the 7 ball rack would now be a good eBay item. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<hr /></blockquote>

I think you're right. It was the player who didn't break who picked the side first. Actually, 7 ball is very much alive. It's the official game of the Paul Sorvino Asthma Foundation annual pool tournament fundraiser, probably because Charlie is the Master if Ceremonies and the tournament director. I was invited to play a few years ago. It was the last time I saw Jerry Orbach who passed away shortly after. He was teamed up with Loree Jon Jones and they won the event. Jerry played some great pool and was a wonderful man.

My partner couldn't play a lick but was a very interesting guy: Lou Perlman, the founder of the Back Street Boys, who last I saw on the news, skipped the country while the feds were after him. Yikes.

Kevin Trudeau played in that event also, and his partner was Mike Sigel, natch.

And everybody played 7 Ball. Crazy world, this pool world.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran