PDA

View Full Version : Phenolic tips?

SKennedy
11-14-2007, 09:29 AM
OK, I admit this is a stupid question, but I'm new to the phenolic tip thing.....Do you chalk a phenolic tip? Do you need to do anything with it? My common sense, which usually fails me, suggests no chalk and maintenance free. However, I have been chalking the tip anyway. Hasn't seemed to hurt me any!

Deeman3
11-14-2007, 10:45 AM
Maybe out of habit but I do chalk my tip as well. I just figured it added friction between the cue ball and the tip.

Are we out of control? /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Rich R.
11-14-2007, 11:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SKennedy:</font><hr> OK, I admit this is a stupid question, but I'm new to the phenolic tip thing.....Do you chalk a phenolic tip? Do you need to do anything with it? My common sense, which usually fails me, suggests no chalk and maintenance free. However, I have been chalking the tip anyway. Hasn't seemed to hurt me any! <hr /></blockquote>I chalk mine. I see most of the pros chalk theirs too.
Since I use mine for breaking, more than jumping, I also rough it up, once every year or so. I'm not sure if it helps, but it makes me feel more secure. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

bsmutz
11-14-2007, 12:06 PM
Tip=phenolic, ball=phenolic. Imagine if your tip was as smooth and shiny as a ball. Best to chalk up to avoid the loud and embarassing miscue on the break. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

wolfdancer
11-14-2007, 12:13 PM
Bill, I have invented a chalkless tip....it never needs chalking.
Now as soon as I can figure out how to get rid of the miscues, I'll make a fortune....

SKennedy
11-14-2007, 01:37 PM
Thanks guys...especially for not making me out to be too stupid. I kept chalking it and in the meantime meant to ask someone "in the know" but was too embarrassed to ask.
I'll continue to chalk it....I know I haven't had any problems with doing so...

wolfdancer
11-14-2007, 04:56 PM
I'm the worst ever at forgetting to chalk...about 4 balls into my run the miscue appears...20 years playing this game....and can't remember to chalk up

Ace
11-14-2007, 07:40 PM
I chaulk mine every time before breaking and jumping.

( I heard a good tip one time here on the CCB - says always chaulk before a miscue )

ras314
11-14-2007, 08:53 PM
Err, never chalk before a miscue?

Anyways I sometimes use a phenolic tip just to check my stroke, believe me chalk and roughing the tip helps!

SKennedy
11-14-2007, 09:10 PM
Hello Ace...
Richard will be calling you.
I played vs a really good player last night. I won 2 straight and after that handed him about 3 games. I missed the 8-ball 3 times during the match and easy shots. I actually played well except I could just not "finish." Guess that's why I'm an amateur.
Thanks for the tip....always chalk before a miscue....got it.

Drop1
11-20-2007, 09:31 PM
Keep going,at about fifty years,you start using either end of the cue,of course my wife can never understand,why I'm chalking my butt.