PDA

View Full Version : Cue sticks and cold weather

tjc45
11-17-2007, 07:28 AM
When I bought my cue the dealer told me not to leave it in a hot car during the summer as the heat would warp the shaft. What about cold weather? OK to leave a cue in the car during cold weather? If so, to what limits temp wise if any?

THX
TC

Rich R.
11-17-2007, 08:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tjc45:</font><hr> When I bought my cue the dealer told me not to leave it in a hot car during the summer as the heat would warp the shaft. What about cold weather? OK to leave a cue in the car during cold weather? If so, to what limits temp wise if any? <hr /></blockquote>I would recommend that you NOT leave your cue any place, at any temperature, where you wouldn't want to put yourself.

My cues go to and from the car with me. I don't recommend leaving them in the car, in any weather.

DeadCrab
11-17-2007, 08:11 AM
Interesting question.

Since water expands when frozen, and with enough force to easily break pipes, I would say there is probably some risk below freezing.

Buy a McDermott or some other cue with a warpage guarantee, and you don't have to worry about it so much.

hondo
11-19-2007, 06:57 AM
It's been my experience that THEY WILL WARP IN COLD WEATHER!

nAz
11-19-2007, 04:39 PM
someone once told me it is possible for the tip to loosen up and fall off... i don't know though, thats probably caused by cheap glue /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif oh yeah another reason not to keep it in your car at any weather... it may get stolen!

tjc45
11-19-2007, 08:22 PM
Ok, so no overnight stays in the car or workday stays, how about an hour or two? For example, stopping some place for dinner? Do cues have any ability to survive harsh temps?

I ask because I figure that any cue I buy has spent more than a few days sitting in a non climate controlled truck trailer as it was shipped from manufacturer to dealer and then, if I buy online, from dealer to me. Depending on the season, this would expose it to hot or cold temps. Yet, no problems?

kenz54
11-19-2007, 09:49 PM
I would agree in theory it is wise not to subject your cue to extremes. In my case however, I live 45 minutes away from work (which is right near where I play pool for both practice and league) so I leave directly from work to play and can't drive the 1.5 extra hours to get my stick and go back again. Consequently, my cues stay in the car 24/7 year round. I do have them in a good case and try to wrap up the whole thing in a heavy blanket. I have done this for several years now and I have not had any problems with any warping to date. My fingers do get pretty cold when I first start using the shafts in the winter though!

dhammis
11-20-2007, 01:03 PM
Never leave them in a car for any longer than you have to. Extreme heat will warp quickly, but the problem with extreme cold that I've seen is cracking of ferrules and shafts when someone plays with a cold cue. On my league nights I bring my cues into the office with me. If you must leave your cue in the car or notice that it's cold when you take it out of the case, let it warm to room temp before playing with it.