PDA

View Full Version : For those who might be interested...

rackmup
07-30-2002, 08:00 AM
I found this review online and thought I would share it. In return, please purchase a copy of the DVD and mail it to me for my birthday. Thanks in advance for your kind generosity.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>

The Hustler - DVD Review

The much awaited DVD release of the Hustler by Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment takes place on June 4th and was it ever worth the wait? We have all watched the movie many times (you have watched it haven't you?) so I won't bore you with details about the movie except to say that it looks great in letterbox format on the DVD. It is especially nice to know that I don't have to worry about repeated viewings degrading the quality like you do on tape. Audio selections available are English Stereo, English Mono and French Mono. There are also English and Spanish subtitles available.

The DVD is packed with extras including an audio commentary that runs the length of the movie. The commentary features memories of the stars and director by Editor Dede Allen, Stefan Gierasch (the Preacher), Assistant Director Ulu Grosbard, Paul Newman, Carol Rossen (the director's daughter), Richard Schickel (Film Critic, Time) and Jeff Young (Film Historian). This commentary is interesting but runs as a seperate audio track to the movie and doesn't really follow what is happening on the screen. I suspect you will listen to it once and that is all. There is also a feature called "The Hustler: The Inside Story" which contains some of the same recollections from the commentary as well as video from the movie premiere.

World Trick Shot Champion Mike Massey is featured in two features on the DVD. One is a "How To Make The Shot" feature where Massey shows the secrets behind some of the shots in the movie and how they were executed. The other feature is a commentary that pops up in a separate window during specific scenes of the movie. Some of the things that Massey talks about are interesting but probably of more interest to the casual fan who isn't aware of these things. The die-hard fans will not learn much new here. Other extras on the disk are a behind-the-scenes still gallery of 10 photos. There are a couple of Technical Assistant Willie Mosconi that are good to see.

While the extras are fun, most people will probably check them out once and that is all. What we really wanted to see is the movie itself and it has never looked better. With a suggested retail prize of $19.98 ($25.98 Canada), this DVD is a must have for pool fans everywhere.

<hr></blockquote>

Kato
07-30-2002, 08:47 AM
Ken, is your birthday fast approaching? What happens if all of us buy you the DVD? Will you watch 1 every day forever? If I buy it for you can I come for cake and ice cream and wear one of those pointy hats?

Kato~~~just wondering

9 Ball Girl
07-30-2002, 10:29 AM
I bought the DVD when it was released a couple of months ago. Good stuff!

Wendy~~Kato brings the cake and ice cream, I'll bring the beer /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

SpiderMan
07-30-2002, 11:32 AM
I'd cook dinner if I get a seat in the theater.

SpiderMan

&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: 9 Ball Girl:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; I bought the DVD when it was released a couple of months ago. Good stuff!

Wendy~~Kato brings the cake and ice cream, I'll bring the beer /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

rackmup
07-30-2002, 08:37 PM
Cake? Ice-Cream? Beer? Dinner?

I'm in!

August 11th, Ken hits 44. Sad...I don't look a day over 42.

Regards,

Ken (aging but not gracefully)

07-30-2002, 09:43 PM
August 11th huh, my brother's birthday is the 13th but he's some 10 years beyond your time. I know cuz I used his ID when I was sneaking booze purchases in the late sixties. The first bucket of suds is on me that Sunday...sid~~~time of limitations surely ran out on that ID crime ;-)

rackmup
07-31-2002, 06:37 AM
Maybe we can get Spiderman and SPetty (and any other DFW CCB'ers) to drop by. I don't have anyone to spend the day with so that might be kind of nice.

I read where you're making progress with the JC...good for you! We removed the weight bolt from my Meucci JC and it hops even better now. I made two very critical shots last night, one a jump/bank into the side pocket and the other, a table length jump shot to pocket a ball in the jaws and get shape on the money ball. I'm with you pal...go ahead...hide whitey behind something...I'm not skeeerd!

A pal of mine from Click's Arlington is making a 6" extension for my JC for those shots when you wish you had a little more cue as well. He's also making a joint protector that has a "knob" on it that keeps the butt from sliding into the depths of the case (your Lucasi JC probably came with something similar.) If it looks good, maybe Spidey can post a pic of it and I can make 'em available to other CCB'ers. I've seen other stuff he has made in the past and he does good work, plus, the "prototypes" aren't costing me a dime! There is no better price than "free"!

Regards,

Ken

SPetty
07-31-2002, 07:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr> Maybe we can get Spiderman and SPetty (and any other DFW CCB'ers) to drop by. <hr></blockquote>I'm in!

Retardo
07-31-2002, 07:58 AM
Do you think "For those Who Might Be Interested" is a good subject line?

07-31-2002, 09:45 AM
Oh no, I feel another giant tequilla storm brewing on the horizon! ;-) sid~~~can handle it though

rackmup
07-31-2002, 02:14 PM
Uh...yes, I do.

Regards,

Ken (wondering if the question: "Do you think "For those Who Might Be Interested" is a good subject line?" is reason enough to boot up your computer)

Harold Acosta
07-31-2002, 06:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr> I found this review online and thought I would share it. In return, please purchase a copy of the DVD and mail it to me for my birthday. Thanks in advance for your kind generosity.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>

The Hustler - DVD Review

The much awaited DVD release of the Hustler by Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment takes place on June 4th and was it ever worth the wait? We have all watched the movie many times (you have watched it haven't you?) so I won't bore you with details about the movie except to say that it looks great in letterbox format on the DVD. It is especially nice to know that I don't have to worry about repeated viewings degrading the quality like you do on tape. Audio selections available are English Stereo, English Mono and French Mono. There are also English and Spanish subtitles available.

The DVD is packed with extras including an audio commentary that runs the length of the movie. The commentary features memories of the stars and director by Editor Dede Allen, Stefan Gierasch (the Preacher), Assistant Director Ulu Grosbard, Paul Newman, Carol Rossen (the director's daughter), Richard Schickel (Film Critic, Time) and Jeff Young (Film Historian). This commentary is interesting but runs as a seperate audio track to the movie and doesn't really follow what is happening on the screen. I suspect you will listen to it once and that is all. There is also a feature called "The Hustler: The Inside Story" which contains some of the same recollections from the commentary as well as video from the movie premiere.

World Trick Shot Champion Mike Massey is featured in two features on the DVD. One is a "How To Make The Shot" feature where Massey shows the secrets behind some of the shots in the movie and how they were executed. The other feature is a commentary that pops up in a separate window during specific scenes of the movie. Some of the things that Massey talks about are interesting but probably of more interest to the casual fan who isn't aware of these things. The die-hard fans will not learn much new here. Other extras on the disk are a behind-the-scenes still gallery of 10 photos. There are a couple of Technical Assistant Willie Mosconi that are good to see.

While the extras are fun, most people will probably check them out once and that is all. What we really wanted to see is the movie itself and it has never looked better. With a suggested retail prize of $19.98 ($25.98 Canada), this DVD is a must have for pool fans everywhere.

<hr></blockquote>

OK, let me know what site to visit to purchase the darn thing!

07-31-2002, 08:02 PM
Ah, my darling Ken,
I'd buy it for you if I had a dime left on my credit card..... Sigh. You'll just have to pray some other generous soul will pony up though... Happy birthday! I hope you will have many more surrounded by those who love you, like us. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif Cake, Beer, Ice cream?.....Yum....

SPetty
08-06-2002, 02:21 PM
Regarding August 11:

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr> Maybe we can get Spiderman and SPetty (and any other DFW CCB'ers) to drop by. I don't have anyone to spend the day with so that might be kind of nice.
<hr></blockquote>Hi rackmup,

In light of your recent crappy life's turns, and in celebration of the day of your birth, I bet that between me and Sid and Spiderman (and maybe Michelle and PoolFool and other DFW CCBers), we can cover your expenses at the pool hall for the day! We might even let you win a few...

So are we doing this thing?

Heck, I even take PayPal, so other CCBers could contribute if they wanted /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif