PDA

View Full Version : Our friend in Iran

pooltchr
11-19-2007, 07:01 PM
Is this the same guy who just a couple of months ago wanted the US to provide him with body guards so he could see Ground Zero firsthand?

If only we could sit down and have open dialog with these guys, I just KNOW they would change their feelings!

Steve

By NASSER KARIMI, Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 1 minute ago

TEHRAN, Iran - The presidents of Venezuela and Iran boasted Monday that they will defeat U.S. imperialism together, saying the fall of the dollar is a prelude to the end of Washington's global dominance.

Hugo Chavez's visit to Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in Tehran followed a failed weekend attempt by the firebrand duo to push the Organization of Petroleum Exporting States away from trading in the slumping greenback.

Their proposal at an OPEC summit was overruled by other cartel members led by Saudi Arabia, a strong U.S. ally. But the cartel agreed to have OPEC finance ministers discuss the idea, and the two allies' move showed their potential for stirring up problems for the U.S.

The alliance between Chavez and Ahmadinejad has blossomed with several exchanged visits Monday's was Chavez's fourth time in Tehran in two years a string of technical agreements and a torrent of rhetoric presenting their two countries as an example of how smaller nations can stand up to the superpower.

"Here are two brother countries, united like a single fist," Chavez said upon his arrival in Tehran, according to Venezuela's state-run Bolivarian News Agency.

"God willing, with the fall of the dollar, the deviant U.S. imperialism will fall as soon as possible, too," Chavez said after a two-hour closed meeting with Ahmadinejad, the Iranian state news agency IRNA reported.

As the dollar weakens, oil prices have soared toward $100 a barrel. Chavez said over the weekend at the OPEC meeting in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, that prices would more than double to $200 if the U.S. attacked Iran or Venezuela.

"The U.S. empire is coming down," Chavez told Venezuelan TV, calling the European Union's euro a better option and saying Latin American nations were also considering a common currency.

The leftist Venezuelan is a fierce critic of President Bush, and Iran's Islamic government is in a bitter standoff with Washington over Tehran's nuclear program. The U.S. accuses Iran of seeking to develop nuclear weapons, a claim Tehran denies, and Iran has been hit with two rounds of U.N. sanctions for refusing to suspend uranium enrichment.

Ahmadinejad backed his "dear brother" Chavez in their joint fight with the Bush administration.

"We have common viewpoints and we will stand by each other until we capture the high peaks. God is with us and victory is awaiting us," Ahmadinejad was quoted as saying by IRNA. He said he and Chavez would stick together to defend their "nations and ideals to the end."

nAz
11-19-2007, 07:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> God is with us and victory is awaiting us," Ahmadinejad was quoted as saying by IRNA. He said he and Chavez would stick together to defend their "nations and ideals to the end."

<hr /></blockquote>

whhooooooaaaa I thought God was with us!!

My aunt just came from Venezuela she was telling me that Chavez has a strong following with the poor and that there has been some good reforms made by him to help the poor. (not much of a middle class over there)
but she and a lot of people worry that he will try to hold power by changing the reelection laws and possibly keep himself in power permanently... I don't care how much good you do if claim to keep power for the good of the people your gonna get corrupted ultimately hurt everyone.

SKennedy
11-20-2007, 11:50 AM
His help to the poor is a smoke screen and a means to his end. He wants total control of the country and more....