PDA

View Full Version : "Good shot!" - No, it was not...

Billy_Bob
11-20-2007, 10:19 AM
I was playing last night, shot in a ball, and my friend said "Good shot!"

I said...

"No it was not a good shot! The shot BEFORE that shot was the good shot."

"Notice that I could not have shot that ball into either corner pocket if I had left the cue ball down in the area where my previous shot was. I was able to shoot in the previous shot, then get the cue ball to come all the way back around the table and leave me with a possible shot on the next ball. THAT was the difficult and "Good shot!"...

Eric.
11-20-2007, 10:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy_Bob:</font><hr> I was playing last night, shot in a ball, and my friend said "Good shot!"

I said...

"Notice that I could not have shot that ball into either corner pocket if I had left the cue ball down in the area where my previous shot was. I was able to shoot in the previous shot, then get the cue ball to come all the way back around the table and leave me with a possible shot on the next ball. THAT was the difficult and "Good shot!"...
<hr /></blockquote>

So, what's the point?

Congratulations?

Eric &gt; /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

New2Pool
11-20-2007, 12:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy_Bob:</font><hr> I was playing last night, shot in a ball, and my friend said "Good shot!"

I said...

<hr /></blockquote>

So, what's the point?

Congratulations?

Eric &gt; /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I think the point is to never tell him "Good shot", that is what I got out of it anyway.

Billy_Bob
11-21-2007, 09:02 AM
Actually this is along the lines of learning position play. Learning that after a shot, you should leave the cue ball in a good spot for your next shot.

Some people do not know this.

And this was the case with the person I was playing. He has asked me to help him learn to play pool better. So I was just pointing out to him that there is a lot more to the game than just "pocketing balls" (which is his main focus at this time).

And same here. This post was intended for players who are just starting out and may not know this.

SKennedy
11-21-2007, 09:37 AM
Sometimes I get shape, but don't pocket an easy shot. That really upsets me....
Last night in a game I was so intent on making shape on the 8-ball (for the win) which just involved a little ball speed control, I missed a very easy, almost straight-in shot on the 6-ball.
Sometimes I can make the shots, and sometimes my shape is great, and once in a great while....I can actually do both at the same time. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I'm inconsistent! Last night in match play I played very well. The night before...I was horrible. But that's OK. I still have fun and enjoy it for the fine game that it is!

Snapshot9
11-21-2007, 10:24 AM
Everyone can learn to make shots, not everyone can play shape well though. Pool is a building block process.

As 3 time World Champion Jimmy Caras told me once when I was 14: "Position is 70% of the game".

SKennedy
11-21-2007, 01:05 PM
Within the last 10 minutes I was explaining to a young man about APA and BCA leagues, etc. He told me he was a pretty good shot, but that he never thinks about where his cue ball will end up after a shot and has never played or learned shape. I told him that in APA he would be a level 3....(and a low 3, but didn't tell him that). I agree that position is 70% of the game for an average amatuer player, but I would speculate (since I'm not an expert) that to reach the level of a pro, and to differentiate among the pros, that position is more like 95%+ of their game.

wolfdancer
11-21-2007, 02:21 PM
an old saying stated that in 9 or 8 ball, you played position to an area; in straight pool, you played to a spot.
On the 8 ft'rs that are prevalent here, I just try to get on the right side of the table, and within 3 diamonds....for most shots. AND I try to remember the cardinal rule for position play; to gain an angle.I try, but....anyway, hope this is not construed as offering advice, etc....it's just how I try to play the game.

pooltchr
11-21-2007, 04:32 PM
Wolf,
If you settle for the right side of the table and within 3 diamonds, you are doing yourself a dis-service. I think you may have set the bar a little bit too low. On the other hand, it does give you a lot of room for improvement.
Just a thought.
Steve

wolfdancer
11-21-2007, 05:01 PM
Well, I'll also play for the left side of the table... /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Three diamond distance is a ball park figure...it's not how I really play all shots....what I was trying to say though is you don't have to get on top of the O.B. on the bar tables, and take the greater chance of bumping into a ball....A 3 diamond shot with a slight cut angle, should be a "gimme"
There's always room for improvement, but I go into each match, believing I'll win.

SKennedy
11-21-2007, 05:51 PM
It may not be perfect, but I bet most of us would always settle for being on the correct side of the table with the angle we want and within 3 diamond lengths every time....at least I would.

pooltchr
11-22-2007, 09:00 AM
I guess I mis-understood. I thought you meant within 3 diamonds of your pinpoint optimal position. Yes, a 3 diamond shot with a little cut angle would be pretty good position for most shots.
Steve

heater451
11-24-2007, 09:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy_Bob:</font><hr>. . .you should leave the cue ball in a good spot for your next shot.

Some people do not know this. . . .there is a lot more to the game than just "pocketing balls" (which is his main focus at this time).

And same here. This post was intended for players who are just starting out and may not know this.
<hr /></blockquote>I have seen people that I consider "shotmakers", where they are able to make (almost) any shot on the table, no matter the distance or cut angle. However, their downfall is usually in the form of a blocked shot, which would be remedied by good position play.

The point is, that it's possible to play well without having to rely on position play. The argument to that would be, that it's "safer, rather than sorry", to put the cueball where you *know* you will have a next shot--and hopefully and easier one. If this thinking is extended through the whole set of balls to pocket, then it's *better* to play with a well-positioned runout, but by no means required.

========================