PDA

View Full Version : Does Efren Reyes Ever Use a Mechanical Bridge

blueridge
11-21-2007, 12:12 PM
I watched lots of Efren Reyes matches, and I don't ever recall seeing him use the sissy stick. I personally hate using the bridge because I lose too much cue ball control using it. I was just wondering if you've ever seen Reyes use the bridge because I've watched lots of his matches and never seen him use a bridge before. He seems to go out of his way to avoid the bridge by shooting left handed and stretching in some pretty awkward looking angles to get to the cue ball.

Ralph_Kramden
11-21-2007, 01:29 PM
I've never seen him use a mechanical bridge but.. If you can play like him.. why would you need to?

I don't think I've ever seen him jump a ball more than one time either. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Jal
11-21-2007, 01:35 PM
If I remember correctly, in one of the matches I have on tape, he misses a relatively easy shot using the bridge.

It's been recommended that one practice rack(s) using nothing but the "sissy" stick, in order to get comfortable with it.

Jim

blueridge
11-21-2007, 01:40 PM
He rarely ever jumps. I've watched lots of his matches and have seen him jump twice, once really well and the other one very badly. The way he kicks he almost never needs to.

Many of the top Filipinos don't jump because jump shots are illegal in rotation, which is the biggest game in the Philippines. That's why many of the top players there are exceptionally good at kicking.

He shoots really well opposite handed which takes away the need for a bridge on lots of his shots.

wolfdancer
11-21-2007, 03:11 PM
I have over 50 Accu-Stat tapes, with Efren Reyes, including his long match with Earl in the Philippines...Don't ever remember him using a bridge, nor trying a jump shot.
For the average player though...becoming competent with the bridge, is a must! IMO...that said, I can't remember the last time I used one...I'm ambidextrous ...I can miss with either hand...

blueridge
11-21-2007, 03:19 PM
The match with Earl in the Philippines. I assume that was that the hill hill match where Efren makes the incredible back and fourth kick shot to win the match? I have that DVD and it's the most amazing shot I've ever seen.

I often shoot behind the back to avoid the bridge since I shoot pretty poorly opposite handed.

wolfdancer
11-21-2007, 04:48 PM
You sure you're not talking about the Z kick on the 5 ball to win the Sands....??

bataisbest
11-21-2007, 06:56 PM
YES. I believe he is talking about that shot. Efren himself got in bad shape behind a ball and if you look at the tape, you see Strickland gesturing as if to say, " Thank God I will get another chance at the table". That's when Efren came with that shot that was just incredible.

Fran Crimi
11-21-2007, 08:19 PM
Isn't Efren also an excellent behind the back player? I'm pretty sure I recall him shooting those shots with ease as well.

Fran

Ralph_Kramden
11-21-2007, 10:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> You sure you're not talking about the Z kick on the 5 ball to win the Sands....?? <hr /></blockquote>

Is this the video of the Z shot?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4YTuYpKdns (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4YTuYpKdns)

wolfdancer
11-22-2007, 02:08 AM
Efran was playing safe...accidentally pocketed the 4 ball, if I remember correctly.
Earl's concession speech was a classic, classic Earl, that is

Billy_Bob
11-22-2007, 12:03 PM
I have a friend who has asked me to teach him pool. About a year ago one of the first things I did was to show him how to use the mechanical bridge.

I would estimate that he spent about 45 minutes learning how to use it properly and practicing.

Now skip ahead a year... He has used the mechanical bridge the last few days 3 times. He made every shot. And the last shot he made was a kick shot!

Making a kick shot using a mechanical bridge! Wow!

Anyway the basic idea is that having a run when playing pool can be a series of different types of shots. And the more different types of shots you know how to make, then the longer your run will be (in theory).

And using the mechanical bridge can be just "one shot" in a run or a series of shots.

So my thinking is that if you know how to use it and can make shots using the mechanical bridge and your opponent can't, then you are one step (one shot) above your opponent.

So with my friend, he may have shot in one or two balls and then missed using the mechanical bridge. Instead he maybe ran 4 or 5 balls. In one case he won the game.

It was that "one shot" which kept his runs going....

Note I practice using the mechanical bridge by playing an entire game using it. For *every* shot!

Jal
11-23-2007, 10:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> I have over 50 Accu-Stat tapes, with Efren Reyes, including his long match with Earl in the Philippines...Don't ever remember him using a bridge, nor trying a jump shot...<hr /></blockquote>I double-checked my one tape of him, his match with Bustamante during the 1995 US 9-ball Open, and indeed he does use the bridge once and misses. Although very makeable, it wasn't exactly an easy shot either as I indicated above. He was obviously not himself during this match as he also missed an easy kick, a couple of banks, and screwed up easy position on one shot. He misses one bank by half a diamond, and apparently wasn't playing it on the safe side since he left Bustamante a dink.

Still, he did pull off some great feats of position at times.

The commentators did remark how rare it was for him to use the bridge.

Jim

blueridge
11-26-2007, 12:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> Isn't Efren also an excellent behind the back player? I'm pretty sure I recall him shooting those shots with ease as well.

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

I think you're confusing Efren Reyes with Francisco Bustamante. Bustamante often shoots behind the back shots. I don't think I've ever seen Reyes shoot behind the back. Reyes would probablly shoot a shot left handed before going behind the back since he's a great opposite handed shooter.

blueridge
11-26-2007, 12:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> You sure you're not talking about the Z kick on the 5 ball to win the Sands....?? <hr /></blockquote>

That's the one I was referring to. The most amazing shot I've ever seen.

Deeman3
11-26-2007, 01:12 PM
Blueridge:

He did use a mechanical bridge at least twice last year playing one pocket at Derby City. He was faced with that, or to air bridge over the stack on one shot and the other he could not stretch quite enough left handed. He did make the second shot but played an excellent safe on the one over the stack.

blueridge
11-27-2007, 12:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph_Kramden:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> You sure you're not talking about the Z kick on the 5 ball to win the Sands....?? <hr /></blockquote>

Is this the video of the Z shot?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4YTuYpKdns (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4YTuYpKdns) <hr /></blockquote>

That's the one.

Cueless Joey
11-27-2007, 11:56 PM
Efren knows how to use the bridge very well.
He played snooker and english billiards early on.
He's used a bridge on two straight-pool videos of him that I have.
He does not shoot behind the back. Luat and Bustamante do that. Efren shoots lefthanded very very well.