PDA

View Full Version : Improved Jumps, The Lights Have Come On

07-30-2002, 02:06 PM
I recently cried about the inability to jump close and admitted that I was NOT able to master the dart stroke. Well I put in some time adjusting and adjusting and adjusting, and I hit upon the secrets for me. It seems that two things in particular were wrong with my methods. First I needed to grip with the thumb and index finger(I already did) at the screw joint instead of back in the butt region. Next and most importantly I was trying to get too vertical, stressing my body for maximum heights. It seems that leaning back with a slight flex in the knees produced effects which effectively jumped whole balls at one ball width away!

Just wanted to update y'all since I made several posts asking about heights of players and stance for the jump. It seems that what opened my eyes was just messing around for a couple of hours, not necessecarily reading the directions on the bunjee site(but that site did make a little difference.) An individual sometimes learns his/her ways of doing something by just doing it and letting their body's discover how to do it.

Thanks for all the advice through all of this. I may even keep the Stealth now that I am hitting close jumps. Oh yes, the Lucasi is still hands down dominant in how well it jumps. It's got to be the tip. I am trying to find a tip from the Lucasi people and go ahead and bite the bullet and get in installed on the Stealth.

To all you Stealth owners, "What to you get from using the Stealth in it's longest length?" That's one facet I haven't addressed so far. Thanks.....sid

stickman
07-30-2002, 02:19 PM
Sid, the longest length is the only way I've used mine so far. When I pull the butt section off, I feel like my arms are too long. I have yet to master that part. /ccboard/images/icons/blush.gif A friend pulled it off and was jumping very close with it. Too many things to practice and not enough practice time. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

07-30-2002, 02:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Sid Vicious:</font><hr> Oh yes, the Lucasi is still hands down dominant in how well it jumps. It's got to be the tip. I am trying to find a tip from the Lucasi people and go ahead and bite the bullet and get in installed on the Stealth.

To all you Stealth owners, "What to you get from using the Stealth in it's longest length?" That's one facet I haven't addressed so far. Thanks.....sid <hr></blockquote>

congrats. i found that, on most close shots, i do better holding the jump cue closer to the joint and flicking the wrist at it. funny, after all these years working on a smooth stroke with no wrist.

is the stealth the one scott lee has? i was very interested in the extreme light weight and the extra length extention. the extention is for underhanded shots which are not so close to the o.b.

my only problem was that it has a regular medium tip and i'd have to get rid of that immediately to get a hard tip like my bunjee. but then i've already got a bunjee so what the heck.

dan... did a tight jump-to-bank shot the other night. felt like god.

Doctor_D
07-30-2002, 02:29 PM
Congratulations...

Dr. D.

07-30-2002, 02:45 PM
Yes it is the cue I got through Scott and yes the tip will have to go. It's that tip that is the limiting factor on comparing it to a JC with a harder tip(IMO.) I have a similiar dillema being that I own a jumper which just "keeps on a jumpin'" with easy effort. Still I'm too much of a softie for cues, and it intriques me to think what the Stealth will be like with a rock nailed to the end of it.

I am making the close hops with the cue I got from Scott, and who knows how it will perform after the tip change. Might be magic, but I gotta know...sid~~~slightly anxious to get hooked now ;-)

07-30-2002, 02:49 PM
By longer jumps, do you mean jumping over clusters a couple feet plus away? My accuracy seems premium with the shortened length if we are talking about say 3 ball to a foot but I've not ventured into really long jumps over packs...sid

07-30-2002, 02:54 PM
Thanks D! I just knew there had to be something subtle I was doing wrong. Life is fun again, "Go ahead and hook me, just go ahead!" sid~~~feelin' froggy

Rod
07-30-2002, 03:00 PM
Sid, glad to hear hoppy is working much better. I don't hit the dart stoke all that well, but then again I never practice that or the underhand method. I can jump very well but not as good as others that spend lots of time practicing. One thing I realized from the begining is not to try and drive the c/b through the slate. With a light jump cue the ball gets airborn much faster because the cue does not drive into the slate. It tends to bounce off the c/b. That goes along with a light grip and more of a throwing motion, dart or underhand.

SpiderMan
07-30-2002, 03:10 PM
Uh-oh, now that you see the secret's not in the stick, you'll be wanting to give back my $25 and reclaim your frog.

SpiderMan

Q-guy
07-30-2002, 04:12 PM
I would personal message you but you are not registered. If you would like a phenolic tip for your cue just give me your address and I will send you one. While I was at the show last week I got them approved by the BCA. They are produced in 13, 131/2 and 14 mm. You can email me at cueasaurus@aol.com

SpiderMan
07-30-2002, 04:21 PM
Q-guy,

Can you describe your tips and any special installation procedures you recommend? How much do they cost?

SpiderMan

Q-guy
07-30-2002, 04:26 PM
You would have to e-mail or personal message me.

stickman
07-30-2002, 05:18 PM
Sid, my understanding is that by taking the butt section off, you can jump balls that are closer to the cue ball. A friend of mine has shown me how he could jump a ball maybe three inches away, by pulling the butt section off. I'm not that advanced yet. I have been practicing jumping balls 10 to 12 inches away with the whole stick. When I have pulled the butt section off, it feels very awkward to me. I'm sure I'll get so that I can do this, but I'm still learning. I haven't learned the dart stroke yet either.

TonyM
07-30-2002, 05:59 PM
why not buy a Bunjee tip? They are readily available and work extremely well.

tony

Sid_Vicious
07-30-2002, 06:24 PM
Q-Guy...I sent you an e-mail to the address you posted along with an address and a really big thank you. Lemme know if there's any return($$$) needed...sid

Q-guy
07-30-2002, 06:54 PM
I got your email and will send it off.

Sid_Vicious
07-30-2002, 09:04 PM
What a deal! The Stealth with your tip will evolve as soon as Spiderman makes his magic after the tip arrives. I'll e-mail you a digital photo if Spidey doesn't post it first on his Yahoo photo album for board review. Then the real fun begins...sid~~~like a kid waiting for Santa Clause. Ho-Ho-Ho JUMP!

Sid_Vicious
07-30-2002, 09:16 PM
I seriously doubt that you'd take 25 bucks for that game winner of yours. Do look for a tip job coming your way though, besides the water buffalo which you have scheduled for weekend delivery...sid~~~just a smilin' ;-)