PDA

View Full Version : Idea for a Pool Expert Demonstration

BigRigTom
11-23-2007, 02:01 PM
I once played chess against a chess master and he was playing against 99 other players all at the same time. He won every single game. This was at the serviceman's club at Ft. Bragg, N.C. in 1970. I still think about that sometimes....he beat ALL 100 of us and some of those guys thought they were pretty good at chess.

I wonder if anyone would take that kind of challenge in pool. It would be a great charity benefit sort of thing. The pool expert could go into a pool hall with about 30 tables (or maybe the BCA Nationals and do all 250 tables!) and move from table to table taking his shot at each table then moving on to the next table. The event could charge the challengers a hefty entry fee and the media coverage should be a no brainer.

What do you suppose the expert's win/loss ratio would be?
Would such a demonstration result in validating the expert's expertise?

Some one like Fast Larry or Earl Strickland may be willing to take on a challenge like that. If the Fats was still around he would do it if there was money to be made for himself in the process.

By the way here is the Webster's definition of "Demonstration"
demonstration
One entry found.

demonstration

Main Entry: dem·on·stra·tion
Pronunciation:
Demonstration Pronunciation (http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/audio.pl?demons05.wav=demonstration)
Function: noun
Date: 14th century
1: an act, process, or means of demonstrating to the intelligence: as a (1): conclusive evidence : proof (2): derivation 5 b: a showing of the merits of a product or service to a prospective consumer
2: an outward expression or display
3: a show of armed force
4: a public display of group feelings toward a person or cause
— dem·on·stra·tion·al \-shnəl, -shə-nəl\ adjective

Billy_Bob
11-23-2007, 02:26 PM
Or maybe the expert stay at the same table and people buy tickets to play him/her. Limit one ticket/game at a time, then need to get back in line to play again.

I know the better players would jump at a chance to play a big name.

But around here, the lesser players would not. They head for the hills whenever a very good local player comes in. They suddenly remember they need to go do "something". Zoom! out the door they go... So I don't know if they would play a big name or not???

bsmutz
11-23-2007, 05:06 PM
Yeah, for most pool players, you'd have to tell them who it was and what they've done, lol (unless it was Jeannette Lee). The women do a charity deal where you can sign up and pay to play one game against the better known players at their events. In the format originally postulated, I'd be willing to bet that people would be moving balls around while waiting for the pro to get back to their table unless they were being supervised.

BigRigTom
11-23-2007, 06:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bsmutz:</font><hr> Yeah, for most pool players, you'd have to tell them who it was and what they've done, lol (unless it was Jeannette Lee). The women do a charity deal where you can sign up and pay to play one game against the better known players at their events. In the format originally postulated, I'd be willing to bet that people would be moving balls around while waiting for the pro to get back to their table unless they were being supervised. <hr /></blockquote>

Anything like that could be monitored by referee's or tournament director's and their assistants and volunteers and if proceeds were for charity where is the incentive to cheat?
Anyone seen cheating would obviously lose by default.
That would be a public disgrace for the bad guy.