PDA

View Full Version : Chameleon rack recommended?

Shaft
11-24-2007, 06:53 PM
I was wondering if anyone had experience with the Chameleon rack... Any recommendations for or against? (Before posting this question, I searched the forum for related posts and came up empty.)

Rich R.
11-24-2007, 08:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Shaft:</font><hr> I was wondering if anyone had experience with the Chameleon rack... Any recommendations for or against? (Before posting this question, I searched the forum for related posts and came up empty.) <hr /></blockquote>
I have never used the Chameleon rack myself, but I have seen it used at a couple of pro tournaments, including the 2007 U.S. Open. From what I have seen, I highly recommend that you DON'T purchase this product. You would be much better off with a good quality wooden rack. JMHO.

av84fun
11-25-2007, 12:44 AM
I too have seen countless posts that are very highly UNcomplimentary about that rack.

I also agree that such specialty racks are unnecessary if you have a top of the line HEAVY wooden rack and know how to use it.

Re: using it...let me give you a tip I picked up from a world champion player. (this assumes you are racking for yourself or are honest enought to give your opponent a tight rack...AND are getting one in return!)

1. First rack the balls with the rack on the foot rail so you are looking straight down at it. Doing so makes it easier to see of the balls will actually nest properly. If they won't nest then rearrange them until they do.

2. Once you've done that, move that rack up so that the 1 Ball is where you THINK it will rest without moving. Understand that the most common reason for balls rolling off when you raise the rack is because the 1 ball moves.

3. Once the 1 is up on the spot, move the other 8 balls back about an inch and move the rack slightly forward so it no longer touches the 1 ball. 8 times out of 10, when you do that, the 1 will MOVE and there would have been no way for you to get a tight rack.

4. Once you KNOW that the 1 ball will not move...SLOWLY move the rack back until in JUST BARELY touches the 1 ball and DOES NOT CAUSE IT TO MOVE.

5. Then move the other 8 balls up into a nested position and apply a little back and side pressure with your thumb and fingers to be sure you get contact with all 9 balls.

6. Then move the rack forward an inch by applying forward pressure with your tumbs ON THE BOTTOM of rack surface that faces you. In other words be sure your thumbs are on the surface of the cloth and then push slightly forward.

You should then get a tight rack because A) you KNOW the balls will nest because you tested for that and B)if the 1 ball doesn't roll of when you lift the rack, the other balls are ALMOST certain not to move either. I say "almost" because the one other thing that might screw things up is if there is some lint/chalk dust or other kind of inconsistency within the rack area that causes one or more of the 2-9 balls to roll off.

Ifr that happens about all you can do is wipe the rack area with your hand or a cloth or slightly tap the offending ball.

But NEVER tap the 1 ball because that will just dig a deeper dent in the spot that is caused by the fact that more often than not the CB is airborne when it hits the 1 Ball which imparts a downward force and causes the dent to get deeper....eventually making it almost impossible to get all 9 balls to nest correctly.

Hope this is of some value to you.

Regards,
Jim

SPetty
11-26-2007, 02:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote av84fun:</font><hr> 6. Then move the rack forward an inch by applying forward pressure with your tumbs ON THE BOTTOM of rack surface that faces you. In other words be sure your thumbs are on the surface of the cloth and then push slightly forward.<hr /></blockquote>Any idea why it is so important to push on the bottom of the rack? Why is that better than the middle or top?