PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a Poolhall Junkie

sharky1317
11-24-2007, 10:56 PM
Hey everyone, I love the game. . . . And I try to play as much as possible. But sometimes I don't get to play as much because I work so much. . . . I want to improve my game. . . . and I believe that I could be a great player with the right drills or insight, etc. What do you guys suggest for me? There is some action every sunday at this one poolhall . . . . Winner gets $100. . . . I am hesitating, but I think I can beat everyone in there.......... Anyways, maybe this will help my game aswell. . . . Any thoughts? (I am better than average, but I want to be the best around my area).

av84fun
11-25-2007, 12:22 AM
Here is the best advice you'll ever get IMHO....
TAKE LESSONS FROM A TOP NAME TEACHER OR TEACHING PRO.

Unless you are one of those one in a million "naturals" all you are doing now is "grooving your flaws."

There are several top instructors who post here and at AZ who can give you rock solid fundamentals and mechanics which will significantly accelerate your skill level vs. trying to bang it out on your own.

Personally and with all due respect, I would tend to avoid your local "house pro" and would stick with a BCA certified teacher not only because they have had to demonstrate very considerable knowledge but also because they have taught a LOT of students and have the teaching experience to know what works and what doesn't and also how to convey ideas in a variety of ways.

Then AFTER your lesson buy every book written by Byrne and Koehler and study them...oh...for the rest of your life.

Regards,
Jim

sharky1317
11-25-2007, 01:07 AM
THANKS JIM!!!!

Billy_Bob
11-25-2007, 11:05 AM
Well practice what you are not good at of course. Practice those shots where you say "I hate these shots!". Practice the shots which are frustrating.

I will mark the locations of the balls on the table with white blackboard chalk and shoot the same exact shot over and over. 50 times!

Then there is a lot to learn about the game. Do you like to read books? Could you watch a pool instruction video up to one shot, then stop the video, and then go practice that shot. Then watch a little more of the video?

If you like to read, there are tons of books on billiards. Many are only available on the internet. Same thing with videos.

For books/videos, search google.com for...

billiards books
billiards videos

For this forum, best to ask specific questions. Say what you are having trouble with. Ask about things you would like to know more about. Ask about anything. Chances are someone else would like to know the same thing...

pooltchr
11-25-2007, 11:11 AM
Where do you live? I may be able to recommend a good instructor to work with you.
Steve

sharky1317
11-25-2007, 04:29 PM
I live in Tustin California. . . . .Thanks for the help.

pooltchr
11-25-2007, 04:50 PM
Get in touch with Scott Lee...he makes a couple of trips out to the west coast traveling and teaching pool each year. You can schedule some time with him that I can guarantee will help your game.
Steve

okinawa77
11-25-2007, 10:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sharky1317:</font><hr> I live in Tustin California. . . . .Thanks for the help. <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue"> I had an SL3 in APA 9 ball that moved down to Irvine. She cannot get on a team because they are looking for high skill level players only. Are you playing APA or BCA? If you want to challenge yourself, you might see if they have USPPA there. I am sure if you were involved in the league play there, you could find some instructors. </font color>

dr_dave
11-25-2007, 10:49 PM
For some good general advice, see the links under "advice" here (http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads.html). For some useful drills and learning resources, go here (http://billiards.colostate.edu/resources/index.html).

Regards,
Dave

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sharky1317:</font><hr> Hey everyone, I love the game. . . . And I try to play as much as possible. But sometimes I don't get to play as much because I work so much. . . . I want to improve my game. . . . and I believe that I could be a great player with the right drills or insight, etc. What do you guys suggest for me? There is some action every sunday at this one poolhall . . . . Winner gets $100. . . . I am hesitating, but I think I can beat everyone in there.......... Anyways, maybe this will help my game aswell. . . . Any thoughts? (I am better than average, but I want to be the best around my area). <hr /></blockquote>

Billy_Bob
11-26-2007, 12:02 PM
There should be tons of instructors in your area. The best do not advertise because they don't need to. (Word of mouth.)

What I would do is find the best players in your area and ask them who is the best instructor. (The best players win tournaments or can be seen carrying around their chalk and chalking before each shot and running the table.)

And the more money for the tournament, the better of players who will show up! Ask where the tournaments are.

blueridge
11-26-2007, 12:34 PM
Stay away from the money games if you're a beginner. The best thing for you to do would be to join a league if you're looking for action.

If you want to improve your game, do drills. Don't just bang balls around like most people do. If you're looking for instructional videos, The Monk, Tim Miller, http://www.themonk.com/products.htm has a terrific video series, called "Monk 101". I do these drills during almost every practice session. Also, I highly recommend his accompanying book "The Lesson". Both are worth every penny. Also, any book written by Phil Capelle is outstanding for improving your game.