PDA

View Full Version : for an article for class

Carin333
11-27-2007, 03:17 PM
What are your concerns, love or hate about the billiards business? [list]

Carin333
11-27-2007, 03:53 PM
Allow me to elaborate. I'm a student journalist at Columbia College in Chicago. I have to cover the billiards industry and I am really stuck on a topic for an issues article. Basically I need to know what you think about the BUSINESS aspect of your local pool hall. Do you wish they had booze? Do you wish they don't have booze? Is it disturbing you that the pool tables aren't five feet apart? Help me out guys!

Derek
11-27-2007, 04:02 PM
Lack of space, first and foremost. Too many bars try to cramp in that last table or two. This is a real problem on league nights and tournaments.

Lack of table maintenance is probably second. Either good cloth/felt or keeping the tables level.

Lack of good chalk. Spend a couple of bucks for your customers instead of waiting for those few dozen cubes to be drilled all of the way through.

Loud music. Tunes are okay, but it shouldn't overwhelm normal conversation or the sound of pool balls.

Any bar box that costs more than 50 cents. I'll play on big tables whenever the choice, but I hate playing in tournaments where it costs a buck a game in a race to five. That being said, it should always be a greens fee in place of having to pay quarters.

Cydpkt
11-27-2007, 04:49 PM
One waiter/waitress for a hundred people. Most places (my opinion) don't pay their bills off of the hourly or per game charge. I believe that the revenue from drinks and food are what put the place in the green. We have a place that closed their kitchen and they loose a lot of money by having people leave to get something to eat.

I have to agree that people who are going to put a dollar in a table want a table that is worth the charge. We just went to a buck a game in Montana but nothing was done to fix up the tables. There is talk of going to $1.25 in 2008. This has led me to start looking for a table for my house.

Loud music is also a deterrent for many people.

Comfortable chairs for a persons opponent is also a nice thing to have around. At least make them (me) comfortable when I am "playing" a game.

wolfdancer
11-27-2007, 04:55 PM
Isn't the "business aspect" and customers preferences...two different topics?
Or, do you intend to cover both management/ownership issues, and customer wishes/complaints?

Drop1
11-27-2007, 06:10 PM
I had to move on,when they took the table dance out. I loose so often,that was my only reason for hanging around.

okinawa77
11-27-2007, 06:35 PM
Pool Halls:
If smoking is not allowed, then it can hurt the pool hall owner. Selling of beer and/or cocktails (liquor) will increase the pool hall owners revenue.
League play and tournaments will increase the owners business. The key to making money as an owner is to get people in the place. Once they are in, the owner can make money from table charges, juke box, vending machines, food, drinks, etc...

What I look for in a pool hall:
Good service-I look for places that have decent waitress/waitors. I usually get to know the owners and build a relationship. If the owner is a jack***, then I won't play there.
Good environment-I am looking for good tables/balls; decent food/drinks; not too loud music; ample table spacing; decent restrooms; and not to get shot or robbed.

Billiards Industry:
Tournaments are funded mostly by cue manufacturers and/or table manufacturers, and thus, pay outs are not high enough for most pros to earn a living playing pool alone. Many pros depend on sponsorship, which is again, mostly cue manufacturers. Have you ever seen a Pro tourament on TV? All the ads/commercials are pool products. If we could get more people to watch the televised events, we might be able to convince other business sectors to run ads/commercials which will only cost them a contributory fee to the tournament winnings. Currently, there are tons of pool players, but....they are pretty much the only consumers of pool products. How can we turn this industry into a spectator sport. Take a look at NASCAR. There major consumer of products are not the race car drivers.