PDA

View Full Version : Pool and tobacco money

07-30-2002, 07:47 PM
The tobacco industry is dirty. It kills for money, and it gets away with it because it can afford to buy the law. It disappoints me that so many of my acquaintances are willing to play in a league that accepts sponsorship from Camel. I think that the APA's membership should insist that the league drop Camel. Pool is one of my greatest pleasures, but I'm damned if I'll dirty myself by playing in a league that takes money from the tobacco industry.

Brujo

Tom_In_Cincy
07-30-2002, 08:27 PM
Brujo,

I guess this is your way of saying good bye to the APA.

I'm glad you felt you could share your thoughts in this forum about Pool.

stickman
07-30-2002, 08:59 PM
If they want to spend their money on something I enjoy, it's fine with me. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif Nascar Winston Cup racing enjoys their share, boat racing, and drag racing, why not pool? After all, what they're doing isn't illegal. Breweries are welcome to spend money on the hobbies I enjoy too. I used to smoke, if they want to give some of it back, I'll take it.

MikeM
07-30-2002, 10:04 PM
Maybe now we can get our minds off sex!

MM...not likely!

07-30-2002, 10:04 PM
Excuse me, but doesn't every state make money by the sale of tobacco products? Using your reasoning, you should insist that your state goverment return the taxes from the sale of a legal product.

Voodoo Daddy
07-31-2002, 12:24 AM
Clicks lighter open, lights Marlboro Light...puffs and say'" MMM...thats good stuff"...HAHAHAHAHA. It is what it is, tobacco, liquor...sponser pool, dont sponser pool. Geez, dont anyone talk about running out anymore? Losing interest in this board again...someone stop the bleeding.

Chris Cass
07-31-2002, 12:53 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You odviously don't play for a living. If your looking for a moral fight than contact your congressman. You say pool is one of your greatest pleasures? Than don't cut off your nose to spite your face. JMHO

Regards,

C.C.~~sheesh.....

nAz
07-31-2002, 01:13 AM
I don't smoke but pool with out smoke seems kinda strange.
anyways u wont be playing APA pool will u also give up products made by Kraft foods? and there many, since Kraft foods is owned by Philip Moris. as a matter of fact tobacco companies own a lot of other types of business, where do u draw the line?

by the way it sucks that smokers have to pay 7 duckets a pack in NY... big brother telling people how to live 1985? or was 1984?

Oh yeah MikeM sex and smoking usually go hand in hand sex sex sex lol

07-31-2002, 06:35 AM
My post of 30 July implies criticisms of other persons. I should have signed it with my real name, which is Alan Salmon, and not with the nickname Brujo. I regret this lapse.

Regards,

A.S.

Doctor_D
07-31-2002, 06:57 AM
Good morning:

Strategically pursued, Alcohol and Tobacco moeny can be used to rasie the interest of additional and/or new corporate sponsors. NASCAR, which Twenty (20) years ago had sponsorships which were pretty much limited to Tobacco (Winston) and the automotive industry, now sports corporate sponsorships for everything from laundry detergent to telecommunications. NASCAR, you have come a long way baby!

Dr. D.

rackmup
07-31-2002, 07:09 AM
Yes, as of today, because of Camel's involvement in the APA, I will quit playing pool. In addition, I will no longer watch NASCAR as they have a car sponsored by "Hooter's" restaurants, which I feel degrades women. I will also no longer sweep my floors because of the misuse of a broom handle by a former NYPD officer. My dogs will no longer eat canned dog food as I firmly believe that the slaughter of cute little pigs goes into the making of it as well as the production of Spam canned meat. Innocent hops and barley, who never harmed a soul, longing only to wave in the wind, are harvested everyday in the interest of brewing beer so my alcohol consumption will also cease. Candy consumption will also stop as it is my understanding that child labor laws are ignored in the countries that produce cocoa. Do the blades of grass in my lawn feel pain as my mulching mower blade spins into them? I will never lay awake at night again wondering about that as I have sold my mower. Let it grow to the roof I say!

Jeez.

Regards,

Ken

PQQLK9
07-31-2002, 07:13 AM
Bruno... I applaud you for taking an unpopular stance in this forum and I think Dr.D made a very insteresting point.Perhaps we need to fight the enemy from within. and yes they are all very diversified these days. Heck I used to be an Exec with one of the tobacco giants...oh well off to the stinky ass poolroom to play some one hole...CCB...I LOVE THIS FORUM!

Wally_in_Cincy
07-31-2002, 08:47 AM
But you gotta admit those table lights they provide are pretty cool.

Wally~~headin' outside for a Marlboro Light Menthol (in a box please)

Doctor_D
07-31-2002, 08:50 AM
Good afternoon:

Next time, try a Dunhill!

/ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

Dr. D.

Chris Cass
07-31-2002, 09:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Doctor_D:</font><hr> Good afternoon:

Next time, try a Dunhill!

/ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif <hr></blockquote>

Dr. D.,

Dunhill's and house maids? I will definitely have to clock your game. I need the doe. hahaha

Regards,

C.C.~~pookie' friend.

Chris Cass
07-31-2002, 09:20 AM
Pleasure to meet you Alan.

C.C.

bluewolf
07-31-2002, 10:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: nAz:</font><hr> I don't smoke but pool with out smoke seems kinda strange.
anyways u wont be playing APA pool will u also give up products made by Kraft foods? and there many, since Kraft foods is owned by Philip Moris. as a matter of fact tobacco companies own a lot of other types of business, where do u draw the line?

by the way it sucks that smokers have to pay 7 duckets a pack in NY... big brother telling people how to live 1985? or was 1984?

Oh yeah MikeM sex and smoking usually go hand in hand sex sex sex lol <hr></blockquote>

here in md it is 5 a pack. in va just 30 miles a way, it is 1.70 a pack.

i do smoke and am more concerned with quitting than how the apa gets their money. if it means they have enough money for me to play pool, i dont really care where the money comes from.

bluewolf

Doctor_D
07-31-2002, 11:14 AM
Good afternoon:

In NYC, it ranges from $6.50 to $7.50 per pack.

Dr. D.

Tom_In_Cincy
07-31-2002, 04:29 PM
Doesn't the smoke thing come after the sex thing?

nAz
07-31-2002, 07:43 PM
well if you r in a Bar chances are that any women in there smoke, so in this case smoking cums first. (opps typo) By the way i believe that (and i may be wrong on this) women who Smoke and drink put out faster then women who don't. J/M experience

07-31-2002, 07:56 PM
oKAY GUYS, i THINK FRAN HAS TAKEN ENOUGH SWIPES! Brujo, I hear what you're saying, and I do sympathize. I also admire your cahones for writing it here! BRAVO, Man! Still, others have made valid points. And let's face it, you're not really a pool player until you have a ciggarette dangling from the corner of your mouth! hahahaha /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

(Lorri doesn't usually smoke or drink, but has been known to put out pretty quickly!)

Voodoo Daddy
07-31-2002, 08:59 PM
Marlboro Lights $26.50 a carton, sunshine, beaches, low taxes oh and some pretty good pool too...ahhh Miami, what a great place to live. Cant wait to retire and move to the Mountains...HAHAHAHAHAHA!!