PDA

View Full Version : Hubler and Weight Reduction

SKennedy
11-28-2007, 11:17 AM
I have a Hubler cue I really like except it is 19.5 oz. I have always used and preferred 18 oz and even like a 17 oz. I've had the Hubler now for about 4 years and pretty much use it exclusively. I thought that I would get use to the heavier weight..after all what was another 1.5 oz? Also, I have been led to believe that a heavier cue resulted in more spin on the cue ball when applied, etc.
Last night I had put away my cues (Hubler and a breaking cue) and then decided to play a few more games and just grabbed a house cue. I selected an 18 oz. I had also shot with an 18 oz house cue a few months back. Each time I have used the 18 oz cue I feel like I am using an old friend. I feel more comfortable and have better control of the cue ball speed with the lighter stick. In spite of making myself use a heavier cue, I still feel more comfortable with the 18 oz. It just feels more balanced in my hands and I seem to better control the cue ball.
Any comments on the importance of weight and any similar experiences would be appreciated. Also, I would love to have the weight of my Hubler reduced. I've been told that it can't be done on a Hubler, while others say it can be done. I don't want to ruin the stick and maybe I should just buy another, but I like the Hubler..just want it lighter. Can the Hubler be modified? I'd try myself, but I'm not very mechanically inclined.

Eric.
11-28-2007, 11:55 AM
I'm not a cue expert but i have a couple of suggestions.

Remove the rubber bumper and see if there is a weight bolt in it. If it does, that would be the easiest, least intrusive way of changing the cues weight.

If not, then you need a cuemaker to remove wood. There is an "ask the cuemakers" section at insidepoolmag.com/forums, maybe you should ask there.

Eric

SKennedy
11-28-2007, 04:12 PM
Thanks.
I just returned from taking me cue to be "amended." The weight in the Huebler is glued in (my cue is 20.5 oz..not the 19.5 I thought). The guy tried to drill out the weight. The weight is lead, not steel and would not come out in one piece. He drilled as much as he dared and removed only about 1/2 ounce. I've decided I'll buy another cue.