PDA

View Full Version : Table light for Brunswick Wellington?

Pea_Pool
12-04-2007, 09:34 AM
Anyone have a suggestion? I'm kind of lost. It's early 1900's. I'd like to match the period, as I have a cue and ball rack, etc. Thanks if you can help point me in the right direction.

Pea_Pool
12-05-2007, 05:05 PM
Maybe I'll try and reword my question. ;-)

What kind of lights were common in the pool halls back then? We just used a bare lightbulb for years but I'm ready for something a little nicer now.

bsmutz
12-05-2007, 05:51 PM
Gas? Tiffany or replicas should be period. Another alternative would be to take some pictures of your cue racks and have a cabinet maker try to match them. The brass pole with the 3-4 green shades hanging off should be fine as well. My advice is offered as a complete tyro on the subject of period lighting. Please do not construe it as coming from an expert.

Pea_Pool
12-06-2007, 11:56 AM
Thanks very much, bsmutz. I think I lean toward the understated and perhaps see the brass pole/green shades as more my speed. Are glass shades the way to go or does it matter? The quality of light on the table is my main objective.

bsmutz
12-07-2007, 12:30 PM
Glass or not should only matter if someone hits one with their cue stick hard enough to break it. I had an 8' flourescent fixture cut loose from its moorings over my table one time. Fortunately only one bulb broke, but it was still a huge mess to clean up. The much smaller green shades should not make nearly as big a mess and should be much harder to break as well.

Pea_Pool
12-07-2007, 02:59 PM
Quicker cleanup and higher abuse durability, this is all good. I'm leaning towards those little green guys now. Thanks.

Wally_in_Cincy
12-08-2007, 01:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pea_Pool:</font><hr> Anyone have a suggestion? I'm kind of lost. It's early 1900's. <hr /></blockquote>

I also have a 100 year old Wellington. No idea of its history though. Do you know the history of yours?

BTW my light is a newer one, sort of an ornate pewter rectangular frame with 3 lights with grey tranlucsent shades below that.

Pea_Pool
12-08-2007, 02:40 PM
All I know is they bought it used from a pool hall and had it brought out to the house by horse and wagon, or so the story goes. It's been in the family ever since. How about you?

Wally_in_Cincy
12-08-2007, 09:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pea_Pool:</font><hr> All I know is they bought it used from a pool hall and had it brought out to the house by horse and wagon, or so the story goes. <hr /></blockquote>

Outstanding !! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pea_Pool:</font><hr> How about you? <hr /></blockquote>

It was here when we bought the house in 2003. The seller was a former APA player and had redone the cloth and cushions. In all the excitement of buying the house I forgot to ask him of the the table's history.

My companion Kathy is an APA player like me (s/l 5) and when we were looking for a house we carried a tape measure figuring what size pool table would fit in what house.

When we looked at this one there was a full finished basement with an 8-footer already in place, we loved the house and put a bid in on it.

A few days later some lady bid $1000 more than us and the seller went with her.

30 days later, ironically, after we had just finished a lesson with Scott Lee and were driving home we received a call from the seller saying the deal had fallen thru and were we still interested.

I said yes. We bought the house and have enjoyed it since.

sorry if that's TMI /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

P.S.: I need to call the former owner and ask him about the table's history. It can be quite interesting. A girl that plays on our team owns a table that was in a hotel in Oxford Ohio (home of Miami Univ,) for 90 years.

JohninTennessee
12-12-2007, 01:24 PM
I bought the light before the table..It was to good of a deal to pass up.