PDA

View Full Version : Ban on sex toys targeted

S0Noma
12-04-2007, 12:07 PM
Rogers tries again to revoke ban

Tuesday, December 04, 2007
By BRIAN LYMAN
Capital Bureau

MONTGOMERY -- A Birmingham legislator has filed a bill that would revoke the state's 10-year ban on the sale of sex toys, a prohibition that has drawn national attention and led to lengthy court battles.

It's the second attempt by state Rep. John Rogers, D-Birmingham, to strike the 1998 prohibition on the sale of such devices.

"A shower head could be considered a sex toy," he said. "It's just bringing the state into the 20th century."

Dan Ireland, executive director of the Alabama Citizens' Action Program, a Baptist group, said it would oppose any effort to overturn the law.

"Laws are made to protect the public," he said. "Sometimes you have to protect the public against themselves."

The 2008 regular session is scheduled to begin Feb. 5.

The law prohibits the sale and manufacture of items "designed or marketed as useful primarily for the stimulation of human genital organs." It does not prohibit the possession of those items and provides an exception for devices sold for medical purposes.

The statute drew national attention and led to a nine-year court struggle over its enforcement. A series of lawsuits were filed against the state by civil libertarians, store owners and women who said the law violated privacy rights.

The 11th Circuit Court of Appeals upheld the ban in 2004, ruling there was no law guaranteeing sexual privacy for citizens and that states could pass laws regulating the sale of sex toys.

The justices added that legislators could repeal the law if they found the "prohibition on sex toys is misguided or ineffective or just plain silly."

A final attempt to overturn the law was rejected by the U.S. Supreme Court in October, seemingly removing the final roadblock against enforcement of the ban. However, a Circuit Court last month rejected an attempt by the city of Hoover to close a store selling sex toys, saying the law is too vague.

Attorney General Troy King's office has suggested that the vagueness in the bill should be addressed by the Legislature. A message left with spokesman Chris Bence Monday afternoon was not returned.

State Sen. Tom Butler, D-Madison, sponsor of the 1998 bill, did not return a message Monday seeking comment.

web page (http://www.al.com/news/press-register/index.ssf?/base/news/1196763571281990.xml&coll=3)

Deeman3
12-04-2007, 02:38 PM
Being 45 miles south of this argument, I can say with authority that we do have a real shortage of sex toys in our great state. I mean, you have to go to Florida to get any good quality rubber blow up women and you simply would not beleive the low quality of golden shower heads we have available.

Really, this is one fo the most critical social issues of our time. How are our gay men to function, at least the ones without "friends"? They will be forced into back alley "sex" clinics in Georgia, for their tools of pleasure and many heteros will be faced with no place to relieve their stresses. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Please call you congressman now.....

Drop1
12-04-2007, 02:41 PM
I called,and he was in the bathroom,with a butt plug. I will try later.

Deeman3
12-04-2007, 02:43 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Harry, you are evil, but funny!!!

wolfdancer
12-04-2007, 02:46 PM
I'll give up my guns first.....
So Fla is the place to go to buy dolls. Do they have an "Ann Coulter" model, blow up doll?...there's a few things I'd like to do to that **** that probably aren't legal ...I could work out my aggression ( and fantasies) with that doll.

Deeman3
12-04-2007, 03:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> I'll give up my guns first.....
So Fla is the place to go to buy dolls. Do they have an "Ann Coulter" model, blow up doll?...there's a few things I'd like to do to that **** that probably aren't legal ...I could work out my aggression ( and fantasies) with that doll. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Now, now Wolfie....I just don't see you and Ann under the covers on this one. I know she has a sort of Dashound look to you but you have to admit, any fantasy with her has to be better than one about Hillary...

I don't get the fasination with Colter's outrageous comments. They are exactly what she wants and similar to those on the far left. Both say far out things, she has just managed to make a comfortable living doing them. Are her comments about the widows of 9/11 right? No. Were they in very bad taste? Yes. Does her opinion count? Not really. I think she only wants to sell books and newspaper columns.

What about the Hillary blow up model. Would that sell? Maybe we produce both models and see. Of course, I'd get shut down in Alabama if I tried to make them. I'll just have to let you see if they can be contracted in Washington or California. Hey, we could be on to something here. We could opt for brokeback Model of Bill,as potential first Bubba, but I think the same in a Hannity would not sell very well. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif </font color>

SKennedy
12-04-2007, 04:04 PM
You place the Hiillary blow-up doll at the kitchen sink to wash the dishes, while you and "Anne" get after it in the bedroom.

Better yet...let Hillary hold the cigar for you!

wolfdancer
12-04-2007, 04:17 PM
I believe Hillary has already "held" the Presidential staff more then once, and has already tasted the Presidency....therefore she is most qualified, among the candidates, being the most experienced.

Deeman3
12-04-2007, 04:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> I believe Hillary has already "held" the Presidential staff more then once, and has already tasted the Presidency....therefore she is most qualified, among the candidates, being the most experienced. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Hands down, the best answer even given in a political discussion on the CCB. "I, Sir, bow to your knowledge and wit." Yes, you can use that one in your signature. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif</font color>