PDA

View Full Version : What Defines a Power Stroke

1hit1der
12-05-2007, 05:29 PM
I'm sure we've all used the term, or would use it to describe certain shots like a massive draw or force follow. And we know who has one (Nevel, Massey, etc). But what, physically, is a power stroke? Is it maximum cue tip velocity when it contacts the cue ball? Acceleration?

Bob_Jewett
12-05-2007, 06:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1hit1der:</font><hr> ... But what, physically, is a power stroke? Is it maximum cue tip velocity when it contacts the cue ball? Acceleration? <hr /></blockquote>
Cue tip velocity but also placement. Some may say acceleration, and that is required to achieve the velocity, but it is the velocity that's important.

Jal
12-05-2007, 07:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1hit1der:</font><hr> I'm sure we've all used the term, or would use it to describe certain shots like a massive draw or force follow. And we know who has one (Nevel, Massey, etc). But what, physically, is a power stroke? Is it maximum cue tip velocity when it contacts the cue ball? Acceleration? <hr /></blockquote>What Bob Jewett said (it's usually best to agree with him).

But I'll add that accelerating as much as you can all the way up until contact will get you the most cue speed. Once contact commences, it's the velocity that counts. You would have to be able to exert superhuman amounts of force to have it make any noticeable difference at this point. But you can't turn it off in an instant, so one can be misled into thinking that it's the force applied during the collision that doing something of significance...it's not.

Jim

stikapos
12-06-2007, 06:54 AM
there is no way that I can argue physics with a Bob Jewett, but wouldn't a power stroke be defined by an extended contact of the cue tip with the cue ball (which would necessitate an extended follow through) ?

tim

dr_dave
12-06-2007, 10:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stikapos:</font><hr> there is no way that I can argue physics with a Bob Jewett, but wouldn't a power stroke be defined by an extended contact of the cue tip with the cue ball (which would necessitate an extended follow through)?<hr /></blockquote>I'm also with both Bob and Jim on this one. See the links under "cue tip - tip contact time" and "break - follow-through" here (http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads.html).

Regards,
Dave

1hit1der
12-06-2007, 10:40 AM
Thanks guys. So then I assume in developing a power stroke, it's all about stroke mechanics and timing. And if you can break the balls at 30+mph, then you should, theoretically, be able to put massive amounts of spin on the ball, provided you're still accurate with your cue tip placement.

Eric.
12-06-2007, 11:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1hit1der:</font><hr> I'm sure we've all used the term, or would use it to describe certain shots like a massive draw or force follow. And we know who has one (Nevel, Massey, etc). But what, physically, is a power stroke? Is it maximum cue tip velocity when it contacts the cue ball? Acceleration? <hr /></blockquote>

All I know is that when the CB dances like Ginger Rogers, you have just put a power stroke on the CB.

Hope that helps.

Eric

Bob_Jewett
12-06-2007, 04:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stikapos:</font><hr> ... but wouldn't a power stroke be defined by an extended contact of the cue tip with the cue ball (which would necessitate an extended follow through) ? ... <hr /></blockquote>
Actually, the most efficient transfer of energy to the cue ball seems to be for very hard tips (think break sticks) that have a shorter contact time. A harder tip is on the ball for less time but with a larger force. It is the product of those two quantities (force and time) that determines the energy that gets into the ball. For a given tip, a harder shot will actually result in a slightly shorter contact time because as the tip is greatly compressed it effectively gets harder.

For spinning the cue ball, prolonging the contact time (except is special situations like masse shots) seems to be exactly the wrong thing to do.

SKennedy
12-06-2007, 04:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> because as the tip is greatly compressed it effectively gets harder.
<hr /></blockquote>

How I wish that was still true today!

Deeman3
12-06-2007, 04:31 PM
O.K Last word....I define the Power Stroke! No more discussion, case closed....

Did anyone fall for that?

Didn't think so. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

SKennedy
12-06-2007, 04:41 PM
Sir, yes sir, I fell for it, sir!