PDA

View Full Version : Man sentenced in bizarre satellite diagnosing scam

S0Noma
12-05-2007, 05:35 PM
Associated Press

A man was sentenced to more than four years in prison for bilking friends and family out of more than $800,000 by convincing them that his wife was a government agent who could arrange to have their medical problems diagnosed by satellite imaging.

Brent Eric Finley, 38, of Rayville, was sentenced in federal court in Monroe to serve 51 months in prison followed by three years of supervised release. His wife, Stacey Finley, was sentenced in August to spend 63 months in prison and both are ordered to jointly pay restitution in the amount of $873,786.94.

The Finleys pleaded guilty in August to wire fraud, according to court records.

U.S. Attorney Donald W. Washington said in a news release following Monday's sentencing of Brent Finley that the couple convinced numerous people that Stacey Finley was a CIA agent and with her contacts she could schedule a medical scan of the victims' bodies by satellite imaging that would detect any hidden medical problems.

The Finley's convinced their victims that, if any medical problems were found, secret agents would administer medicine to them as they slept in exchange for payment, according to a bill of information filed when the Finleys were charged in May.

"These audacious criminals should remind all of us that scam artists will go to great lengths to take our life's savings," Washington said.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

http://www.journalgazette.net/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071205/APN/712050642&template=apart

wolfdancer
12-05-2007, 05:47 PM
Damn, I would have probably fell for that scam, if I had voted twice for the Bushman.
Too bad, that got exposed before Benny Hinn could use it....

bsmutz
12-05-2007, 05:57 PM
Too bad stupidity isn't against the law...

SKennedy
12-05-2007, 10:20 PM
So, the perp was much smarter than the dupes? And he goes to jail? Maybe we should reward him for finding dumb people and place them in jail!
Are we (people) stupid or what?

sack316
12-06-2007, 01:00 AM
C'mon people, don't be so naive!

It's obvious that the husband and wife were jailed for giving away classified information. The "victims" have been told it was a scam to cover it up, the happy couple will be imprisoned to undergo a brain scan and wipe so that they will not remember about the satllites and can never again reveal the secrets that our government has. Duh!

Sack

SKennedy
12-06-2007, 10:25 AM
Your theory is certainly as valid as other conspiracy theories we hear about....

wolfdancer
12-06-2007, 11:19 AM
Too bad stupidity isn't against the law...
Hey, they might have locked me up already, if it were.
Nice little handicap tournament this weekend at the Cad...$50 entry, race to 11. A "7" won the last one, Glenn came in second.....I'm going to donate my $50