PDA

View Full Version : a little tip

TonyM
07-31-2002, 10:58 AM
A lot of people have asked about what to use on a shaft to keep it clean. The usual advice is to wipe it down with a damp cloth every so often between racks.

I have carried a small spray bottle of lens cleaner solution (for cleaning glasses) for some time now. I have a special set of pool glasses, and I keep them, the cleaner and a small supply of tissue paper in a compartment of my Instroke.

A few nights ago I decided to try wiping down the shaft of my cue with the lens cleaner solution. To my surprise it did an excellent job! It tok off the hand oils and some of the chalk resiue (that I couldn't see) and didn't even raise the grain like water will. There must be some sort of solvent in the solution.

The bottle is very small (about 1" in diameter and 3.75" in long including the cap) so it can easily fit in most cue case pouches.

The product I use is called LENSCLEAN - anti-fog cleaner (it comes from Montreal, but a similar product must be available in the U.S.).

Now I'm not saying that this is the best way to clean a shaft (I still prefer my lighter fluid) but it is a ready made convenient way to carry around a small supply of a mild solvent that can degrease a shaft when ever you want while still in the pool hall.

Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Tony

p.s., there might be a difference in the solutions. Some might contain water, while others contain a mild solvent. I think the solvent based product would be beter for shaft cleaning because it won't raise grain.