PDA

View Full Version : Cue into slate

Drop1
12-06-2007, 08:45 PM
Do the trick shot Artists drive their cue straight down,with all their force,into the cloth over the slate? I tried to draw the cue ball back,along the rail. The guy said he was hitting the ball two tips from the North Pole,a red dot,pointing straight up. He proceeded to perform the trick with ease. I tried it,before my power draw attempt,and now my cue won't talk to me.

Ralph_Kramden
12-07-2007, 09:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> Do the trick shot Artists drive their cue straight down,with all their force,into the cloth over the slate? I tried to draw the cue ball back,along the rail. The guy said he was hitting the ball two tips from the North Pole,a red dot,pointing straight up. He proceeded to perform the trick with ease. I tried it,before my power draw attempt,and now my cue won't talk to me. <hr /></blockquote>

It's best to do this shot on a table that belongs to someone you don't like. Put an extra patch of cloth under the cueball or your table with the hole in the cloth won't talk to you either. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Billy_Bob
12-07-2007, 09:34 AM
If the CB is frozen to the rail, I can draw it back with a regular playing cue by hitting the rail itself next to the cue ball. Maybe a 60 deg. angle. Needless to say, this could damage the table.

Then with my masse' cue which has a very very sturdy shaft (so I don't need to worry about the shaft breaking), I can drive it almost straight down onto the CB (maybe 80 degree angle) and get the CB to draw back even without it hitting an object ball. I use a lot of force as if I am trying to "kill" the CB! (Don't try this with a regular cue as the shaft might break.)

Drop1
12-07-2007, 02:38 PM
Too late,now I gotta see what another Tad shaft is going to run me.

Vapros
12-07-2007, 10:57 PM
Harry, are you really such an accomplished player that you have time to fool around with crap like this? /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Billy_Bob
12-08-2007, 09:47 AM
I feel the best pool lessons I have had were from fooling around with shots like these as well as many other unusual shots.

Many times I have learned some shots are low percentage, so best to avoid these shots if I have a choice. Others I have learned look impossible, but are quite easy and high percentage with a bit of practice.

The best example of this is combination shots. I've practiced progressive combination shots until I was blue in the face. So now I can quickly tell which of these shots are high percentage, which are possible with extreme care with aiming, and which are "in your dreams". And I know to avoid all of these if I have a choice.

So I am frequently thankful that I did a lot of experimenting with various shots early on. It keeps me out of trouble as I can avoid these shots if I have a choice. I understand what the problems are with these shots.

Drop1
12-08-2007, 12:54 PM
I don't want to brag,but I once ran two balls. Now I know a lot of people are going to say big deal,I run five to nine all the time. Yeah,but I'm talking about separate tables.I just wish I could keep the cue ball on the table I'm playing. My Daddy always said,"Son,never show your best game for free" /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Billy_Bob
12-09-2007, 10:01 AM
In my younger days when I and my friends had a bit too much to drink at a bar - a quite "wild" bar I might say, we would play pool on two tables which were very close to each other. We would scoop the cue ball from one table to make a shot on the other table! Sometimes we made it! (We would only do this while the bartender was in the back room...)