PDA

View Full Version : European airport security

S0Noma
12-07-2007, 02:10 PM
Airport security slammed

A test of security controls at Oslo's main airport at Gardermoen had such shockingly poor results that several security guards were dismissed and aviation officials are demanding improvements.

A test of security controls at Gardermoen reportedly had dismal results.

Newspaper VG reported Friday that fully eight out of nine persons assigned to test the system made it through security while carrying knives and even bombs.

One woman had a knife concealed in her bra, another mock passenger testing the system had a bullet hidden in a hair barrette and others sent three bags carrying bombs through the airport's X-ray system. Only one of the bombs was discovered.

So shocking were the test results that security personnel from Adecco, the firm that has a contract at Oslo Lufthavn Gardermoen (OSL), were taken off duty immediately and sent home.

The tests were carried out this week by Norway's own civil aviation authority (Luftfartstilsynet), which sent in personnel unannounced to monitor security controls. They won't talk about the tests' results, but confirm that a control was carried out.

A notice on the aviation authority's web site Friday stressed that such inspections are carried out routinely and continually, and that the results are never disclosed publicly. VG's report wouldn't be commented upon either, but the authority went on to claim that VG had used some information that contained errors. It wouldn't elaborate.

The inspections are conducted "to reveal weaknesses in the systems," the authority wrote, stressing that "all errors and discrepancies shall immediately be corrected, so that the security of travelers is held "at the highest level."

Some claim Oslo's airport has faced security challenges, not least because of high personnel turnover at Adecco. An Adecco spokesman, however, claimed working conditions at Gardermoen are "very good" and that Adecco is cooperating with a new firm, G48, that will take over security responsibility in March.

web page (http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article2141057.ece)

Fran Crimi
12-07-2007, 07:16 PM
I went through airport security in London and Germany last week. Both were terribly sub-par and I did not feel the least bit secure about who might be traveling on those planes. Not once was my suitcase opened in customs, and I went through 4 different times.

What we have here in the U.S. may not be the greatest but it's a whole lot better than what I just saw in Europe.

Fran

Qtec
12-08-2007, 10:51 PM
Fran, lets be truthful, you don't look anything like a terrorist. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
'Good looking female with blond curly hair' is about as far as you can get from 'male, dark hair, big nose and huge beard'. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I on the other hand get followed by shop detectives everytime I enter a store! I'm not kidding. Once I came back to Dover from France on the ferry and two Rastafarians- [ dreadlocks, huge hat etc] strolled thru the 'nothing to declare' door and they pulled me over and turned out my cases.!

My girlfriend says its my own fault because I look 'shifty'!
Go figure.

Q

Fran Crimi
12-09-2007, 02:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> Fran, lets be truthful, you don't look anything like a terrorist. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
'Good looking female with blond curly hair' is about as far as you can get from 'male, dark hair, big nose and huge beard'. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I on the other hand get followed by shop detectives everytime I enter a store! I'm not kidding. Once I came back to Dover from France on the ferry and two Rastafarians- [ dreadlocks, huge hat etc] strolled thru the 'nothing to declare' door and they pulled me over and turned out my cases.!

My girlfriend says its my own fault because I look 'shifty'!
Go figure.

Q <hr /></blockquote>

Well, it's a little more comforting to hear they're at least pulling YOU over to the side. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif But still, I wasn't just focusing on myself. People all around me were getting through. In Germany they don't even ask everyone to put their shoes through the x-ray machine. I saw that they were asking every 10th person or so to take off their shoes. Great. So you have a one in ten chance somebody can do something with their shoes.

I remember traveling through Europe in the mid 80's. If you were going through customs, you could count on your bag being opened and inspected. They just don't do that anymore.

Fran

hondo
12-09-2007, 09:12 PM
Heathrow seemed okay to me.
They weren't checking anything in Heidleberg &amp;
Milan, however.

Fran Crimi
12-10-2007, 07:12 AM
I was at London Stansted and it wasn't good.

Chopstick
12-10-2007, 07:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> Fran, lets be truthful, you don't look anything like a terrorist. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">Isn't that profiling Mr. Q ? </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

S0Noma
12-10-2007, 09:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> I

What we have here in the U.S. may not be the greatest but it's a whole lot better than what I just saw in Europe.

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

First off, I think any individual or group of individuals with enough forethought and planning could still do tremendous damage to an airplane in flight or to any airplane terminal anywhere. To believe that this prospect has been eliminated or can be eliminated by increased airport security is foolish thinking.

As to the Euro's vs. us? I think 'better' may be in the eye of the beholder. Can't help but notice that the number of terrorist attacks against airlines are way down over there as well as over here. This may well have more to do with the fact that the terrorists aren't actively trying to use airplanes and airlines to make their political points. At least for the time being.

Personally I think a huge amount of the inconvenience, long lines, shoe removal, body cavity searching (okay, this IS an exaggeration, but...) that now accompanies a flight from anywhere in the US to anywhere in the US is way overdone and unnecessary. I think it's a show designed to reassure the average traveler that it's 'safe to fly' - even if this is not necessarily the case.

Traveling by air in this country is now a huge pain in the neck compared to what it once was. For what? So that we can feel 'secure' as we go about the business of air travel? Even if it's not real? At what price? Submitting to ever escalating personal searches and asinine restrictions like the ban of fingernail clippers etc.?

Sonoma &lt;-- knows that a terrorist with a bomb strapped to his body or a suitcase packed with C4, can walk into any air terminal in this country on a peak travel day and pull the trigger in the middle of the crowd. So much for airport security.

Fran Crimi
12-10-2007, 11:34 AM
First you take the trouble to post an article about how European airport security is falling short, then you say it's mostly bull anyway.

Why bother posting the article in the first place? To mock it?

S0Noma
12-10-2007, 12:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> First you take the trouble to post an article about how European airport security is falling short, then you say it's mostly bull anyway.

Why bother posting the article in the first place? To mock it?

<hr /></blockquote>

Nah, I posted it because I considered it to be thought provoking.

Then I shared with you the thoughts it provoked in me. Wasn't trying to offend you.

The fact remains that if there really is a terrible, and ongoing terrorist threat that has us totally in a tizzy and racing to put back scatter x-ray devices in our airports - why haven't we seen them taking advantage of this obvious weakness in overseas airport security?

I honestly think we have over-reacted here Fran. The result is that we are far less 'free' than we ever were prior to 9/11. The irony of course is that due to excessive fear, we've eagerly traded our freedom of movement and freedom from government scrutiny for a false sense of security.

I do not consider our airports 'secure'. I do not consider our borders secure. I DO consider my constitutional rights to have been eroded in the interim by, among others, the well meaning folks in charge of 'Homeland Security'.

It's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Sonoma &lt;-- thinks it's a good thing the shoe bomber didn't have anything stuck up his butt or we'd all be doing more than just taking off our shoes at airport check in time.

S0Noma
12-10-2007, 04:54 PM
Fran - thought you might enjoy this:

Journalists place fake bombs on planes
Sun, 09 Dec 2007 04:32p.m.

Two journalists wearing “Al Qaeda Airline” uniforms have walked into a Romanian airport and placed fake bombs onboard planes.

An investigation has been launched after the pair entered Baneasa Airport in Bucharest dressed in hats and overalls marked "Al Qaeda Airlines".

The journalists from the Academia Catavencu newspaper drove into a supposedly secure staff car park unchallenged.

They put fake bombs on passenger planes before going to a section of the airport which is used by the military.

The transport ministry has now started an investigation.

web page (http://www.tv3.co.nz/News/Story/tabid/209/articleID/41154/cat/41/Default.aspx)