PDA

View Full Version : 1920s Brunswick

laughhavefun
12-07-2007, 04:13 PM
I have been looking for a used table, and came across a woman that has a 1920's 9' Brunswick table she wants to trade for home repairs.

If this table is in fair shape, and is actually that old, how much would something like that be worth?

How do I confirm age and value of a table like this?

Would I be crazy to pass on this table- even if it is bigger than I was considering (basement does have room), and isn't exactly the style we were looking for?

Brian in VA
12-08-2007, 11:39 AM
The value depends on the model and condition. If it's mint, obviously, it's worth a lot more. As to how it plays, that depends on the condition of the cloth.

Go to www.brunswickbilliards.com (http://www.brunswickbilliards.com) and click on their history to figure out which model it is. Then do a search for Blatt's billiards, a very large reconditioning place in NYC. Check on ebay, too. That will give you some idea of the value. It really boils down to how much you think it's worth. Me? I'd trade labor any day when I can get away with it.

I bought a 1952 Brunswick Anniversary last year off ebay and I love it. It's in good condition, with lots of character marks from the years. $2000 is what I paid for it and it was worth every penny.

JMO I could be wrong.

Brian in VA

bsmutz
12-08-2007, 01:44 PM
Here's another site that has restored antiques for sale: Antique Pool Tables (http://www.oldpooltables.com/default.asp). I have an antique Brunswick snooker table that I restored. It doesn't play perfect (partially the installer's fault and partially the age & abuse), but plays well enough. From what I've read, installers don't like the antiques as much due to the fact that they are usually more difficult to get set up correctly. As to value, it seems like there is a market for restored antiques and they seem to rival new tables. However, there also seems to be quite a few of them out there in reasonable shape at a good price like you have found. They just need someone to give them a little TLC to bring them back to life and provide another 100 years of enjoyment. Note: I'm not giving advice here, just relating my experience.

Heretic
12-10-2007, 01:36 PM
I have an olhausen that I have been told is from the early 40s. I paid $100 for it in pretty rough condition, but after restoring it, I think I like it better than I would a brand new one

laughhavefun
12-10-2007, 06:04 PM
I finally was able to meet with the owner. The table would need extensive repairs, and has evidence of repairs already. If I had the time, I might have offered her a few days worth of work in exchange, but I would like something I can play on, not sit with my other unfinished projects.

The basement had water damage, two of the legs were split, and the underside was covered with mold/ mildew. A couple rails were split near the pockets. I'm not even sure if the top was slate. One side pocket had a bulge on top- like it had swelled, and the tacks on the pockets run close to the top of the table.

Most like the Wellington on the Brunswick site, but everything beneath the rails is painted chocolate brown.