PDA

View Full Version : Less effort?

S0Noma
12-08-2007, 06:58 PM
http://www.stumbleupon.com/mainpics/1848026.jpg

DickLeonard
12-10-2007, 08:44 AM
Sonoma now that you put it that way I guess were are idiots. I do admit that plastic knives are sharper than knives in most restaurants.####

Deeman3
12-10-2007, 08:54 AM
Sonoma,

It is strange that we are very upset about the environment and are, at the same time, so wasteful. I heard it takes many gallons of water just to make the plastic bottles that your "spring" water is delivered in, that corn as a fuel will require much more energy to make than the fossile fuels we now enjoy and that electric cars make more polution through the coal needed to "make" the electricity to charge them than the internal combustion engine for that same car.

It is difficult to take the conservationists as serioulsly as we should when it all appears to be smoke and mirrors from all sides. I am as guilty as anyone but would like to see some non-political education and real conservation methods discussed instead of the same old finger pointing we have always had.

Paper or plastic?

DickLeonard
12-10-2007, 09:01 AM
Deeman the city of NY is trying to get their residents to refill their water bottles with the city's water. It will cut down on the deluge of plastic bottles flooding their garbage and their water is far better than what was in the bottle.

It seems that NYC water wins the taste test.####

S0Noma
12-10-2007, 09:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> Sonoma,

It is strange that we are very upset about the environment and are, at the same time, so wasteful. I heard it takes many gallons of water just to make the plastic bottles that your "spring" water is delivered in, that corn as a fuel will require much more energy to make than the fossile fuels we now enjoy and that electric cars make more polution through the coal needed to "make" the electricity to charge them than the internal combustion engine for that same car.

It is difficult to take the conservationists as serioulsly as we should when it all appears to be smoke and mirrors from all sides. I am as guilty as anyone but would like to see some non-political education and real conservation methods discussed instead of the same old finger pointing we have always had.

Paper or plastic? <hr /></blockquote>

Deeman, couldn't agree more. I think we easily confuse the difference between effective action and 'show' in this country all the time (see my response to Fran re: airport security).

pooltchr
12-10-2007, 06:03 PM
You got that right! We are so concerned with "show" that we don't get and "substance". I see it in politics, I see it at work, I even see it in the pool room. We are a society that wants to have everything neat and pretty, unless it means we must get our hands a little dirty.

My parents taught me I could accomplish anything if I wanted to work at it. This generation has somehow come to expect they can have anything simply because someone else has it.

Until we are determined to do more than pay lip service to our problems, they aren't going to go away.

Our government is just as guilty. They tell the car companies they must make cars more fuel efficient. Fair idea. Now if they put a 20% excess tax on any vehicle that doesn't get 25mpg, I bet our fuel consumption would start to drop immediately. Just an example.

I am, contrary to some's opinions, concerned about our environment. While I don't buy into the global warming hype, I do believe we need to be more aware of how much we do that isn't necessary that results in damage to our environment. The picture in the first post really sums it up very well. We are penny wise and pound foolish in so many aspects of our lives.

Al Gore isn't going to help. We need to take the initiative ourselves.

Great post!
Steve

SKennedy
12-11-2007, 10:46 AM
My wife does that now...for the kids and their sports activities. Our tap water is very good here. I've asked her to only fill the high dollar designer bottles, but she doesn't listen.

SKennedy
12-11-2007, 10:52 AM
Show in the corporate office? What about those Mission Statements? Policy Manuals? Quality Manuals? Hundreds of committees?

Ever hire a "thinker?" I want "doers!" Hire too many "thinkers" and you'll go broke! I like to keep it simple and git 'er done!