PDA

View Full Version : Questions regard a New Billiards Discussion Forum

BigRigTom
12-09-2007, 02:08 AM
I have been working on creating a new forum that will encourage participation from pool players in the trucking and transportation industry as well as all other walks of life.

I posted a link to that new board earlier tonight along with some info here and a couple of other sites. I then had a couple people tell me it was not ethical to announce that on these forums.

I immediately removed the previous post from this board and tried to remove it from another board but that board would not allow me to delete my own post.

My question:
Is it unethical to announce another board that is new and is now available to everyone?

I don't look to offend anyone so I will tread lightly here until I get a good feeling for what is considered good manners on this subject.

I sincerely want to do the right thing and I certainly do NOT intend offense to anyone.

Rich R.
12-09-2007, 07:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr> My question:
Is it unethical to announce another board that is new and is now available to everyone?<hr /></blockquote>
I won't make a judgement on whether it is ethical or not, but I can say that such announcements have been done many times in the past.
If the administrators don't like you posting that information, they will delete the post.

BTW, the owner/operator of AZBilliards is also the web master for this site. The ethics of that situation should raise more eyebrows than your situation.

Curdog
12-09-2007, 08:11 AM
Don't see an ethical problem at all. This is the "information superhighway". Let the information flow!
The bottom line is that people interested in billiards are only going to subscribe to forums they find of interest that don't at the same time offend them or fill a need they don't have. The subject of detailed physics comes to mind here.

Billy_Bob
12-09-2007, 09:54 AM
Well the best forum would allow sharing of all information including information about other forums.

Same with retail businesses. I was always taught that if your retail business does not have a product your customer needs, send them to a competitor which does carry the product. Even offer to call the other business to see if they have it in stock! This promotes goodwill with the customer and the other business might send some of their customers your way. It is a good thing!

But some forums do not allow the mentioning of other forums. See their rules.

There is one forum where I know this is OK. That is "Usenet" or google groups - rec.sport.billiard

And by the way, this "forum" has been around since before there were website forums. A lot of very technical discussion there in the past of things like squirt. So you can learn a lot by searching past posts.

Usenet at one time (80's) was on "ARPANET" which was only connected to government, university, and private research facilities. You could ask a question and get 30 replies from some of the smartest PhD's in the country. It was like being able to ask Einstein a question. And this stuff is archived on google groups.

BigRigTom
12-09-2007, 12:47 PM
Thanks to all who replied.
I think that I will continue to tread lightly until I get a better feel for actually running the board myself.
I will be happy to provide a link to anyone interested but I will not post it here for the time being.

I originally saw nothing wrong with the announcement because I am not looking to make money off members with the board. It is free after all. It just didn't occur to me that it would cause a problem for anyone.

I am just that kind of nut who gets involved in this kind of thing for the interest value. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

KellyStick
12-11-2007, 12:15 PM
I think even if you tread lightly someone is going to get offended anyway. To bad for them. Just speak your mind. IT's a public forum we should be able to talk about most anything. Of course there are limits but I don't think you are anywhere near any of them.

Drop1
12-11-2007, 02:33 PM
BigRigTom, What would you do differently?

BigRigTom
12-11-2007, 03:02 PM
Just to name a few things without pulling out a soap box:

1st: I welcome anyone interested in the games of billiards and pool without regard to their affiliations with which billiards organization. (BCA, APA, IPT, VNEA, etc.)

2nd: I welcome all discussions pertaining to the games of billiards no matter the discipline from which it stems such as physics, geometry, math, physiology, psychology, philosophy, computer science, etc, etc, etc.

3: I welcome billiards related businesses to promote their products and services to the members.

4: I encourage free exchange of ideas and you don't have to be an expert to offer good advise. Your advice should be judged by the quality and effectiveness not necessarily by the source.

I also would like to offer forum benefits to members of the transportation community with which I am most familiar, many of whom also enjoy playing pool and darts. That is what motivates me most of all, "Birds of a Feather" so to speak.

ps: Also feel free to promote any other billiards related forums as well. The more the merrier!

Bob_Jewett
12-12-2007, 04:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr> Just to name a few things without pulling out a soap box: ... <hr /></blockquote>
But most of the forums I know of cover most or all of your points. For example, you say that you will welcome people from all affiliations. Which forum does not do that now?

The question remains: What would you do differently?

BigRigTom
12-12-2007, 04:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr>
The question remains: What would you do differently? <hr /></blockquote>

Well Bob,
Sorry but I don't agree that most forums do that now....I am sure it is a subjective thing and I will just leave it at that, I have said over and over that I am not trying to offend anyone.

I guess my main 2 difference's is that I will try to stay unbiased as the site admin, since I have no personal preference myself and I will try to develop the cross over relationships between the transportation industry and the billiards communities.

I am not trying to lure anyone away from the other boards and since there is no charge and no obligation I prefer to let everyone just pick and choose as many or as few forums as they personally would like. I enjoy a variety myself and I hope most people prefer a variety of view points. My board will be the same in many ways and who knows maybe with time the differences will evolve by themselves base on the preferences of the active members.

Look at the controversy that has evolved over that soft break thing, after billiards has been around for hundreds of years someone has come up wiith a new twist because he had the audacity to try the same thing but do it a little bit different.

I don't want to re-invent the wheel, just maybe give it a different axle around which it can revolve then who knows how many vehicles will fine it more fitting to their style?

jjinfla
12-12-2007, 08:29 PM
Good Luck. Though I don't give you much chance for success. It seems pool players are not all that adventurous and don't seem to visit too many sites. Probably afraid they will lose their status if they go to another site.

Jake

BigRigTom
12-12-2007, 10:20 PM
Yep Jake, you may be right because I hear people get pretty possesive of their ranking on the free games at Yahoo, Pogo, MSN, etc, etc.

Status is a funny thing isn't it.
What is it really worth and who decides that anyway?

Snapshot9
12-22-2007, 08:54 AM
Tom ... NO, I see nothing wrong with it, and many have done it in the past. Onepocket.org gets mentioned quite a bit on AZB, as well as TheActionReport forum.

Ultimately, it is the quality of the product you are producing that will determine your participation level.

Finally, whether people go to the site and use it also has to do with 'how people like things organized'. Do you like 6 manila folders with 4 papers in each one, or 3 with 8 papers in each? It has to do more with how people think, and what their habits are. Trust me, I know, I was a Sr. Systems Analyst for 30+ plus years.