PDA

View Full Version : Tooting my own horn

Karatemom
07-31-2002, 01:03 PM
I wasn't going to post this, but Chris thought I should.

I have worked so hard at my game, trying to get everything just right. I practice as often as I can, in between plastering, sanding, and painting the hole in the wall that Chris created. I work on the problem areas in my game until it frustrates the daylights out of me.

It all paid off Monday night. Our local 7 and under tourney started at 7:00 Monday night. I won my first three matches, all straight up. Lost my 4th match to a nice guy. Christ really likes him so I can't dog him. Won my next two, one by snapping the 9 in on the break. That really pi$$ed this guy off. Then lost my last match to the same guy that knocked me in the loser's bracket.

When it was all over, for me anyway, it was 2:20 a.m., and I had taken 3rd place. This was my first tourney where I placed at all. Made me feel like I had really accomplished something and that all my hard work had paid off.

Heide ~ running racks and loving it

Kato
07-31-2002, 01:33 PM
Good job, you can't beat that with a stick!!!!! You can beat Chris with one though!!!!!! Heide, that is truely awesome for you.

Kato~~~gotta have the 6 out now sweetie.

07-31-2002, 01:37 PM

stickman
07-31-2002, 01:59 PM
Heide, I'm so glad for you. Keep up the practice and the rewards will continue to come. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Doctor_D
07-31-2002, 01:59 PM
Good afternoon:

Outstanding !!!

Dr. D.

Karatemom
07-31-2002, 02:08 PM
I don't take karate, I just know enough from watching my son to put someone's lights out, LOL. Chris was with me, and no one messes with him. Then I also had with me Christ, my 9, about to be 10, year old son, who takes karate. He's the one to look out for. I was very well protected, walking out the door with a whole $25 in my pocket, LOL.

Heide

bluewolf
07-31-2002, 02:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Karatemom:</font><hr> I wasn't going to post this, but Chris thought I should.

I have worked so hard at my game, trying to get everything just right. I practice as often as I can, in between plastering, sanding, and painting the hole in the wall that Chris created. I work on the problem areas in my game until it frustrates the daylights out of me.

It all paid off Monday night. Our local 7 and under tourney started at 7:00 Monday night. I won my first three matches, all straight up. Lost my 4th match to a nice guy. Christ really likes him so I can't dog him. Won my next two, one by snapping the 9 in on the break. That really pi$$ed this guy off. Then lost my last match to the same guy that knocked me in the loser's bracket.

When it was all over, for me anyway, it was 2:20 a.m., and I had taken 3rd place. This was my first tourney where I placed at all. Made me feel like I had really accomplished something and that all my hard work had paid off.

WTG. now these are the kind of stories that give me hope!

bluewolf

Heide ~ running racks and loving it <hr></blockquote>

cheesemouse
07-31-2002, 03:07 PM
Go ahead and toot your horn lady. Keep up the good work. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
07-31-2002, 03:30 PM
K-Mom is on a roll.. watch out Chirs.. next time she will be giving you the spot in 14.1.... LOL.. Congrats K-Mom

9 Ball Girl
07-31-2002, 03:32 PM
Way to go, Karate Mama!

Wendy~~can't wait to hear when you come in 1st!

SPetty
07-31-2002, 03:48 PM
WooHoo! Chris was right to suggest you post this. This is fabulous! Congratulations.

Karatemom
07-31-2002, 04:38 PM
Next week's agenda, LOL.

Heide

socrates
07-31-2002, 04:57 PM
Congrats. I know you have been working hard on your game. Its great to see someone see the benefits of their hard work in actual combat.

Also remember - If you don't toot your own horn someone else might use it for a spitoon. LOL

Congrats again.

Voodoo Daddy
07-31-2002, 05:02 PM
Heide...^5 girl. I knew you were the player of the house. Keep watching those triple secret tapes I sent ya and hit all the balls you can. No Fear Heide...line 'em up, shot 'em down!!

Rod
07-31-2002, 05:59 PM
Heide, Thats great comming in 3rd in a 7 and under. Those long and sometimes frustrating practice sessions will pay off in the long run. Sooner or later it starts kicking in and you won't feel it's quite so mechanical. Then you have more trust in your decisions and execution. Confidence in what your doing goes a long way in this game. You should be proud. 2:20 am is a long night!

Barbara
07-31-2002, 06:29 PM
All right!! Way to go Heide!!! I especially like p-o'ing guys off on the own terms (read: no handicap tourny).

I also keep all my tourny $$$'s in a special little envelope in a secret drawer for when I want to buy something special.

Barbara~~~saving up for a REAL SUPER SPECIAL cue....

Karatemom
07-31-2002, 07:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Barbara:</font><hr> All right!! Way to go Heide!!! I especially like p-o'ing guys off on the own terms (read: no handicap tourny).

I also keep all my tourny $$$'s in a special little envelope in a secret drawer for when I want to buy something special.

Barbara~~~saving up for a REAL SUPER SPECIAL cue.... <hr></blockquote>

This guy was real nice before the start of the match. Then, when I got on the hill, I heard him mumbling about how a 3 isn't supposed to run out racks. Then he won another game, and he was all nice again. Then when I snapped in the 9, he just turned around, put his cue away, and left. The big baby! LOL

I plan on putting all my tourney winnings away as well. Haven't decided what I'll do with it yet, though. Thinking about another cue. There's a guy interested in mine now, so we'll see.

Heide

Karatemom
07-31-2002, 07:54 PM
&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Rod:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; Heide, Thats great comming in 3rd in a 7 and under. Those long and sometimes frustrating practice sessions will pay off in the long run. Sooner or later it starts kicking in and you won't feel it's quite so mechanical. Then you have more trust in your decisions and execution. Confidence in what your doing goes a long way in this game. You should be proud. 2:20 am is a long night! &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

There was a full field of 32 players, so 3rd was pretty darn good for me. Chris kept pumping orange juice in me. It helped for a while, but by 2:00 a.m., it was like I was a deer-in-the-headlights; I was gone. Will be more prepared next time; take a nice nap or sleep til noon, like my son, LOL.

Heide

Barbara
07-31-2002, 08:03 PM
I hear ya Heidi and, oh yeah, and don't forget the way that guy greets you the next time he sees you.

Providing, that is, that hubby of yours isn't right next side to you. They stand to have a real different "addytood" towards you when you're not with your significant other.

Barbara~~~odds are, if C.C. is with her the next time he sees Heidi, he'll be REAL polite...

Rod
07-31-2002, 08:39 PM
I thought there must have been quite a few players to finish that late. That makes third place even better.

~~~rod thinks if CC keeps teaching Heide everything he knows, look out! Toot Toot

Troy
07-31-2002, 08:47 PM
Congratulations on your first "payday" Heide.....

How about some info on that hole Chris made..... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Troy

SPetty
08-01-2002, 09:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Troy:</font><hr> How about some info on that hole Chris made..... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif<hr></blockquote>Yeah, that's probably an interesting story. But more importantly, how about some info on those triple secret tapes that Voodoo sent you??!? (I promise not to tell...)

=k=
08-01-2002, 09:56 AM
that's great, thanks for sharing..always happy for someone getting on top of their game..

Kato
08-01-2002, 09:59 AM
"S", those tapes are "double secret probabation" tapes guaranteed to "make any pool playin' stiff a world champion in 6 weeks". Did you notice that KarateMom has had the tapes for less than a week and is getting ready to topple the entire pool playing structure of Illinois?

Susan, if you want, I know a guy named Big Steve Ferraro. Word on the street says he's close to this Voodoo fella. Oh forget it, I owe Voodoo a coke, I'm not going near him.

Kato

Karatemom
08-01-2002, 10:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: SPetty:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Troy:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; How about some info on that hole Chris made..... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif&lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;Yeah, that's probably an interesting story. But more importantly, how about some info on those triple secret tapes that Voodoo sent you??!? (I promise not to tell...) <hr></blockquote>

I'll get into the story behind the hole in the wall in a bit. Sorry, but those triple secret tapes that Voodoo sent me are just that, triple secret, between me and Voodoo; remember, we're in cahoots.

Heide

Karatemom
08-01-2002, 10:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Kato:</font><hr> "S", those tapes are "double secret probabation" tapes guaranteed to "make any pool playin' stiff a world champion in 6 weeks". Did you notice that KarateMom has had the tapes for less than a week and is getting ready to topple the entire pool playing structure of Illinois?

Susan, if you want, I know a guy named Big Steve Ferraro. Word on the street says he's close to this Voodoo fella. Oh forget it, I owe Voodoo a coke, I'm not going near him.

Kato <hr></blockquote>

Sure, you had to go and open your big mouth, LOL, now you're on my hit list of who to beat next in 9 ball. You were at the bottom because I felt so bad that your back hurt, but forget it now, bud, I moved you ahead of even Christ!!!! ROFL

Heide ~ out for blood now

Kato
08-01-2002, 10:52 AM
Heide, Heide, Heide. Everyone knows your success comes from dedication and learning. Sure tapes are good and that drill sergent you're married to probably helps. Honestly though you should think about it a little before calling this dog off his porch./ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif Put me on the top of the list, I like it there./ccboard/images/icons/tongue.gif

Kato~~~see below homepage address for match up instructions KarateMom.

Karatemom
08-01-2002, 10:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Troy:</font><hr> How about some info on that hole Chris made..... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Troy <hr></blockquote>

Okay, last week, we had to replace a window sill. It is important to know that our house is a steel house, made in the 50's, so the walls are not drywall, they're steel beams with plaster, very easily destroyed.

Anyway, the old window sill was rotting, as the windows are just about the only wood thing in the house, except for the addition. He got the sill out and found that the baseboard under the sill was rotting as well. Got that out, replaced both and now it looks good, but.........

While he was pounding and everything else on the outside of the house to remove the sill and baseboard, the inside wall was just crumbling by the seams. The previous owner was such an idiot anyway, that the wall was never very sound. There used to be a picture window in it's place, but he had removed it and replaced it with a regular double window.

So needless to say, I spent this last week, filling, plastering, sanding, and painting. I just finished it yesterday, so now I can get back to pool, however, I do have some of the garage eaves left to scrape, prime, and paint.

So that story isn't so bad, but you really had to be here.

Heide

Karatemom
08-01-2002, 10:59 AM
No way, if you have a match, it'll be even, like it or not!!!!!

Heide ~ not giving Kato any weight

Kato
08-01-2002, 11:13 AM
Bunch of champions up there in the Cass Family Household. That's ok. I already knew I couldn't get a fair game. Check out my new homepage for further negotiations.

Kato

Rod
08-01-2002, 11:15 AM
I see, so Chris does the "rough in", "heavy" on the rough, and you do the finish work. Do you think his hard break has anything to do with demolition? lol

~~~ rod thinks this is a two tool belt family, Chris's weighs 20 lbs and Heide's is 3 lbs /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Karatemom
08-01-2002, 12:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rod:</font><hr> I see, so Chris does the "rough in", "heavy" on the rough, and you do the finish work. Do you think his hard break has anything to do with demolition? lol

~~~ rod thinks this is a two tool belt family, Chris's weighs 20 lbs and Heide's is 3 lbs /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif <hr></blockquote>

Wait a minute, you got that backwards. I'm the one who took all the doors off in the house, got new ones home (5 in all), cut, sanded, and finished them; took out all the old carpet and asphalt tile in the house to be replaced by new; washed and painted the living room, hallway, kitchen, and my son's room. There's more too, but won't embarrass him too bad.

I'm the Norm Abrahms of the family, but would rather do it my way, then I don't yell at him for doing it wrong, LOL. He does all the electrical, plumbing, and tree trimming. That's enough for me.

Heide

08-01-2002, 12:43 PM
Heidi,

I really think you should toot whenever you do well! Congratulations, and keep it up!

I'm always glad to hear of a female player getting more and more involved. A good tournament experience will draw you in so deep you'll never get out (and who would want to!)

Hope to see you at some of the women's events in the area in the near future! And if you and your family are ever in Waterloo, be sure and let me know! I have a home table that really needs to be used by someone other than me. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Karla

08-01-2002, 12:49 PM
I wish I could toot my own horn. I've tried for years, and just can't quite reach.

Rod
08-01-2002, 02:36 PM
quote Hedie,
Wait a minute, you got that backwards.

Oh so your the one that knocked the hole in the wall /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
Just kidding Norm, you sound like a busy gal.lol

That tree trimming is hazardous. Last year I was cutting a tree down in the front yard. It was about 20 feet tall and I wanted to cut off the big limbs first. Using a chain saw on a ladder I cut off several. One was giving me a problem and hard to reach. I noticed it might come at me when I cut through. Well it did and the big end swung around and hit me in the chest, I was at the 5th step on a 6' ladder. It flat knocked be off the ladder backwards, landed on my back and did a reverse summersaul, and come up on both feet! A perfect backwards flip, and during this I layed the chain saw flat on the ground upright and it was still running. You had to be there. My friends didn't believe me, but my neighbor witnessed the whole thing. Keeping this pool related I wanted to split the tree and save the wood. It was a very pretty redish color, some kind of willow tree.
Don't try this at home.lol

~~~ rod doesn't want to try this again either

Wally_in_Cincy
08-01-2002, 03:27 PM
Congratulations. It's a great feeling to see hard work finally pay off.

Will they adjust your handicap now?

Chris Cass
08-01-2002, 03:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Troy:</font><hr>
How about some info on that hole Chris made..... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
Troy <hr></blockquote>

When we bought the house the original owner had 2 airconditioners in a double window. The double window was put in and replacing the big picture window that was original with the house. He had replaced part of the space with wall.

I get the rotted sill out and found the board underneath was also rotted. So I replaced everything. I measured correctly but the place where I bought the sill from had cut the board long. So, I had to cut a little at a time. The wall didn't start to crumble slightly inside till I took the sledge to the bad boy. hahaha

Heide is very good with crafts and does my cases. Tubes and all. She's good with patience and time consuming stuff. I'm getting better through, playing 1 pocket. LOL She's resourceful and will do it till she gets it right.

This is why her play has improved. I film her and first started with the straight-in shot to get her shooting straight. Her stroke method, grip, stance and once these things were correct for her. Next went to cuts. She didn't need much on stance and form. She has a Alison type stance that, I'm not all that familar with. I next went to drills and worked her hard.

Practice drills take time to show up in your play as you know already. They're like vitamins. Stop taking them and you'll notice it. hahaha Voodoo, sent some tapes that helped and she bought Socrates' new book too. She's got her head congested right now. Both tapes and book material will no doubt help. This too takes time and everyones learning curve is different.

Voodoo, is very knowledgable and knows what will help. Socrates has written a very good drill book for someone starting out and someone with experience will benefit when returning to basics. I'm a terrible coach. I don't mention the good things, only the improvements needed. I figure, if I don't tell you ya did something wrong, you did good. hahahaha

Heide' the smart one of the family. Christ is next and I'm last. hahaha My interests lie in mechanical things, electrical and plumbing and heating. I guess that's why I've been always interested in pool. They all have a flow too them and a path to take.

Regards,

C.C.~~boring huh?

Karatemom
08-01-2002, 04:57 PM
It's possible. I'm only a 3 for the time being. They're not supposed to raise you til you cash twice, and I've only cashed one time. But with these guys, you never know. So I am fully prepared to move to a 4 if they do decide to raise me.

Heide

Karatemom
08-01-2002, 05:02 PM
I'm already deep enough in this game to not quit for a long time. It's too mind boggling for me to quit - trying to figure everything out. Kind of like a puzzle, I won't quit til I've found every piece.

Don't get up to Waterloo too often. Go to Dubuque for karate tourneys once or twice a year, but that's about it. I would like to play in some of the women's tourneys in the area, but for now, I'm not quite good enough to compete at that level, so I'll stick with the locals. But if we ever get up that way, you'll be the first one I call.

Heide~thanks for the invite

Karatemom
08-01-2002, 05:06 PM
14.1 is one game I don't play much of. I would really like to work on my straight pool, and one pocket, and 8 ball, and so on and so on, LOL.

Heide

Karatemom
08-01-2002, 05:10 PM
Thanks to all of you who congratulated me. Instead of replying to each and every one of you, it's just easier to say one big THANKS!!!! I take everything I see and read here on the board and try to apply it to my game, if it will help. I'm always open for suggestions, even though I get most of them from Chris, LOL. In all actuality, I should probably be thanking all of you for all of your help in my beginning successes.

Heide

Troy
08-01-2002, 08:39 PM
And I was hoping for a juicy story... This story is much too mild..... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr>
When we bought the house the original owner had 2 airconditioners in a double window. The double window was put in and replacing the big picture window that was original with the house. He had replaced part of the space with wall.

I get the rotted sill out and found the board underneath was also rotted. So I replaced everything. I measured correctly but the place where I bought the sill from had cut the board long. So, I had to cut a little at a time. The wall didn't start to crumble slightly inside till I took the sledge to the bad boy. hahaha

Heide is very good with crafts and does my cases. Tubes and all. She's good with patience and time consuming stuff. I'm getting better through, playing 1 pocket. LOL She's resourceful and will do it till she gets it right.

This is why her play has improved. I film her and first started with the straight-in shot to get her shooting straight. Her stroke method, grip, stance and once these things were correct for her. Next went to cuts. She didn't need much on stance and form. She has a Alison type stance that, I'm not all that familar with. I next went to drills and worked her hard.

Practice drills take time to show up in your play as you know already. They're like vitamins. Stop taking them and you'll notice it. hahaha Voodoo, sent some tapes that helped and she bought Socrates' new book too. She's got her head congested right now. Both tapes and book material will no doubt help. This too takes time and everyones learning curve is different.

Voodoo, is very knowledgable and knows what will help. Socrates has written a very good drill book for someone starting out and someone with experience will benefit when returning to basics. I'm a terrible coach. I don't mention the good things, only the improvements needed. I figure, if I don't tell you ya did something wrong, you did good. hahahaha

Heide' the smart one of the family. Christ is next and I'm last. hahaha My interests lie in mechanical things, electrical and plumbing and heating. I guess that's why I've been always interested in pool. They all have a flow too them and a path to take.

Regards,

C.C.~~boring huh? <hr></blockquote>

08-01-2002, 09:08 PM
Heide,

I haven't read the other posts yet, but I'm sure I'm saying the same as the others. Congratulations! I'm so happy for you. It's great to get rewarded for your hard work.

Hey...I think I recall Chris saying that if you placed 3rd or better in a tournament, he'd take you out to your favorite restaruant to celebrate. I'm pretty sure he said that. You should check with him on that.

Fran (tee hee)

Voodoo Daddy
08-01-2002, 09:37 PM
He sure did Fran..he e-mailed that very story weeks ago. Get off the wallet Chris...take that lady to dinner!!!

Karatemom
08-01-2002, 10:19 PM
Dinner!?!?!? It was so late after the tourney, the only place we could go eat was Denny's. But later on that week, we did go to Frank's, for some meatball sandwiches and Italian beef sandwiches. Good stuff.

Heide ~ easy to please

DEADSTOKE32
08-02-2002, 08:37 AM
THAT'S REAL. GOOD AND SOON YOU WILL SNAP ONE OFF.
"GOOD LUCK" I WISH I CAN PLAY AS GOOD AS YOU .I'M JUST SOME OLD BLIND CAT.."WANT 2 PLAY SOME "?
DROP ME A LINE ..

Chris Cass
08-02-2002, 11:30 AM
Hey Deadstroke,

I have a good saying when people whine about losing when we play. " When you get tired of racken, you'll start breakin." hahahaha It works, and I should keep my mouth shut. hahahah

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
08-02-2002, 11:32 AM
C.C.~~mental note: Fran, Voodoo and Heide in cohoots to take me to the cleaners.

Chris Cass
08-02-2002, 11:41 AM
Hi Fran,

Not that I'm tight but I was wondering how long the checks are good from the BCA? I still haven't cashed it from Vegas yet. Heide says sometimes 3 mths only. I'm thinking I should go to the bank today.

I would take Heide to a restaurant to celebrate her first cashing but I'm one tough coach. I'm waiting for 1st place. I guess if that was the case, she'd be waiting for me for a long time considering I haven't placed 1st for a loooong time. LOL

Regards,

C.C.

Kato
08-02-2002, 01:37 PM
Hey Chris. Still haven't cashed that check huh? You must be really busy huh? Chris, cash the check, take the wife out for good chow. She deserves more than a sub sandwich. You crack the whip, work the poor woman to death, blow up the toaster, yell at the dryer and won't even reward her for doing good? If I'm ever in your neck of the woods I'll buy her dinner. You.........I'll buy you a corndog at Walmart (with red sauce of course).

Kato

DEADSTOKE32
08-02-2002, 01:50 PM
GE THANKS CHRIS
SOMETIME I FEEL SO CLOSE 2 YA. AND YET YOU R SO FAR AWAY.SMILE SOMEONE HAS 2 WIN AND WHEN I DO I JUMP ON THE TABLE AND DO THE WAVE ."ALONE"..LOL

Chris Cass
08-03-2002, 09:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: DEADSTOKE32:</font><hr> GE THANKS CHRIS
SOMETIME I FEEL SO CLOSE 2 YA. AND YET YOU R SO FAR AWAY.SMILE SOMEONE HAS 2 WIN AND WHEN I DO I JUMP ON THE TABLE AND DO THE WAVE ."ALONE"..LOL <hr></blockquote>

Now, that I have to see. hahahahaha

C.C.