PDA

View Full Version : The real cause of global warming...

S0Noma
12-10-2007, 10:39 PM
http://www.nctexasbirds.com/images/hot_news.jpg

pooltchr
12-11-2007, 06:31 AM
What scares me the most about this letter is that this woman actually has the right to VOTE!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Can't we figure out a way to outlaw stupidity???

Steve

DickLeonard
12-11-2007, 08:28 AM
pooltchr I have a couple of names I would like to add to your list.####

sack316
12-11-2007, 08:46 AM
don't forget the fact that not only the woman that wrote that, but somewhere at the newspaper somebody read the letter and thought it was good, and then an editor thought it important enough to publish it. And so on.

Forgot about daylight savings time. I was afraid that since it was getting dark and colder earlier in the day that we may have gotten too green... and somehow reverted to gobal freezing. Whew!

Sack

SKennedy
12-11-2007, 10:41 AM
Surely the letter was meant as a joke!
And, does this mean that all those who read this letter on this forum and have not responded think the lady is making a valid point?
Either this is a good start to a new Aggie joke, or it will become part of some democrat's platform!
Seriously, there are those in the south who are upset about daylight savings time as it is seen as another government intrusion....a way for the rich "fat cats" to have more time to play golf!

Drop1
12-11-2007, 02:21 PM
SONoma I think this letter is a fraud. The syntax, vocabulary,and style are far above the usual efforts of Arkansas's early trailer dwellers.

Deeman3
12-11-2007, 04:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> SONoma I think this letter is a fraud. The syntax, vocabulary,and style are far above the usual efforts of Arkansas's early trailer dwellers. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Right, being from Arkansas, we have had that problem especially with the trailer folks from Hot Springs and Hope. We deserve the criticism having provided one it's residents as a president. </font color>

pooltchr
12-11-2007, 06:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> SONoma I think this letter is a fraud. The syntax, vocabulary,and style are far above the usual efforts of Arkansas's early trailer dwellers. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Right, being from Arkansas, we have had that problem especially with the trailer folks from Hot Springs and Hope. We deserve the criticism having provided one it's residents as a president. </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Dee,
Since you brought it up, I would be interested in your opinion of the latest presidential candidate from your state. Care to enlighten us as to what we might expect if Mike H were to become the next president?
Steve

Drop1
12-11-2007, 07:29 PM
Deeman3,My family roots are so far buried in the South,and the people of my family are of the dust God breathed into life. Things are changing,how many women do you know that had fourteen children,and when you went to diner,you gave thanks over the lima beans,cooked with hocks,and cornbread,and greens grown in the back yard,and buttermilk,and rhubarb pie? When you meet her,tell her Leetel Stevens is doing fine. I don't apologize about,or deny the poverty that was my heritage,often,I feel the richer for it.

DickLeonard
12-12-2007, 07:56 AM
Deeman the President from Hope could out speak the President with his tongue tied behind his back.

Alan Greenspan rates him as the smartest president he ever dealt with.

Strange a little biumpkin from Hope being that smart.####

Deeman3
12-12-2007, 11:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr>Dee,
Since you brought it up, I would be interested in your opinion of the latest presidential candidate from your state. Care to enlighten us as to what we might expect if Mike H were to become the next president?
Steve <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue">

Steve,

As I have not been a resident of Arkansas for a while, my opinion may not count. However, I think he's a good man but may not have the base for a national run (no money, no political machine). He has a lot of Bill's "awe shucks" in him but is probably not near as smart or crafty.

I would fall short of endorcing him as I don't think he has a chance and Arkansas is still apologising for having provided one president too many.

I agree with Dick that Billy C. was one of our smartest presidents, with the poorest judgement outsdie politics, and may be able to drag Hillary along on his legacy. The new feminist formula; marry a smart guy, support him when he craps on your marrage, play off his popularity and claim to be a modern and independent woman...works for me...

What to expect if Huckabee becomes president? Unrelenting attacks against his Christian beliefs, horseshoes on the front lawn and a cooling of some spending. Unfortunately, he might become the Republican version of Jimmy Carter with no flying saucers in his past, a big chance for legislative lockdown/gridlock which I would find very attractive. The quality of Bar-be-que available in the White House would take a hugh step forward. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif </font color>

SKennedy
12-12-2007, 02:59 PM
You made me hungry....when do we eat?
During 1974 until 1978 I was 'stuck" in Philly. I kept hearing about "soul food." One day I finally asked someone in the know to tell me exactly what it was. When they got through explaining it to me I said..."Heck, that's the kind of food I grew up on!" I think the black man or lady I was talking to looked at this "cracker" with a lot of skepticism at that point. I likely started talking about hog's head cheese or something at that point! We didn't have much money either, but we ate it because it was good! "Poke salad" was more than just a rock-a-billy song. And give me sweet potatoe pie any time over pumpkin pie! It was buttermilk vs sweetmilk...and both were good with cornbread. Mmmmmmm....buttermilk pie!
Lima beans were good, but the staple was pinto beans with cornbread and onions, as well as fried okra and fresh garden-ripe tomatoes (you know, real tomatoes)!

SKennedy
12-12-2007, 03:02 PM
Deeman? My respect for you has diminished....Arkansas BBQ over real Texas BBQ? You're joking? Right?

wolfdancer
12-12-2007, 03:08 PM
you know what they say..."you can take the boy out of the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto out of the boy"

SKennedy
12-12-2007, 03:21 PM
True! However, I spent so much time in the north and northeast, that when I returned home many thought I was a "Yankee." My first job after college was here in east Texas for a manufacturer whose corporate office was in Pittsburg, PA. All the local employees thought I was from Pittsburg! I didn't have enough of an accent and I liked to use those big $5 words. Since then, my accent has returned sufficient enough that most can tell I'm from east Texas....and as for the vocabulary...I got tired of only being able to talk to myself so dumbed it down quite a bit. The problem is that the "dumbing down" process never stopped!! I'll just keep eating my grits and plod along!! I reserve the use of the $5 words and my education for someone, who thinks they are better than others, decides to deride a southerner...and then I'll get all "redneck" on them too and just prove they were right about us all along! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wolfdancer
12-12-2007, 03:44 PM
I had the opposite happen...ended up on the Decatur County,Ga FD, where I was known "affectionately"??? as "Ohio".
Since we shared the meals and the cooking there (although they wouldn't let me near the oven) it was "hey, Yankee boy, you ever had fried bananas, grits, black-eyed peas-beans, etc?"
I had some experience though, in an after school job selling hog maws, salt pork, and "chitlins" so told them "no, this is what I grew up on"....
What fool would fry a banana?

Deeman3
12-12-2007, 04:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SKennedy:</font><hr> Deeman? My respect for you has diminished....Arkansas BBQ over real Texas BBQ? You're joking? Right? <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> SKennedy:

If Real Texas Bar-be-que is a burned beef brisket, then I'm guilty. See, in the South, we consider pork as barbeque, beef as something to keep the coals cool until the real pig is plopped. If you ever have the pleasure of partaking in a Memphis pulled pork sandwich with sweet sauce and a dab of cole slaw on top, you will immediately begin burning all the brisket houses in Texas like they were abortion clinics, until only a smokey ember remains to begin the healing process and perhaps start a fire that is really worth something in the Lone Star State.

While not quite as Bar-be-que challenged as my friends in South Carolina, Texas would not know good que if it even was allowed across the border. There are more illegal aliens crossing the Texas border each minute than bar-be-que sandwiches that have been digested in the entire State's history. If the boys from Tennessee had bothered to bring a Coleman's six pack with them to the Alamo, they would have had something to really fight for. Why do you think Santa Ana gave no quarter? Why do you think Davey Crockett died like a whiny child? No, last meal of good Que...Sam Houston's dying words years later were, "I left Tennessee for this?"

If not for peanut butter and pork Elvis would be working Vegas this very weekend....

Spiderman's last thought before passing out under that car was, "Damn, if I was in Tennessee, at least I'd have some real food in my stomach!"

Joking? Someone fix him a real sandwich.... </font color>

SKennedy
12-12-2007, 04:19 PM
Never fried a banana...although they may in Japan. I have eaten peanut butter and banana sandwiches. One country boy I know use to eat banana and mayonnaise sandwiches. I suspect he just didn't have the money to splurge for peanut butter.

SKennedy
12-12-2007, 04:28 PM
Not all Texas BBQ is overcooked brisket. And you can keep those beef ribs too! Here in east Texas, our BBQ is more southern style.....Neeley's Pulled Pork sandwich (marshall,tx) is nationally known. And yes, I eat my pulled pork sandwich with coleslaw on it too! I also love them pork ribs.....
Down in Austin there is a famous BBQ place...overcooked brisket and beef ribs....place is overrated and a place for tourists who don't know any better.
Therefore, my respect for you has returned and you can now sleep well without worry. We actually like the same type BBQ. Your error is judging Texas BBQ as all being the same. Some of the best pork ribs are outside Tyler at a place called Ribmasters located in Whitehouse, Tx.....better than famous Country Tavern outside Kilgore, Tx. Great, falling off the bone, tasty and tender pork ribs!!

Deeman3
12-12-2007, 04:52 PM
Just so you realise that that form of bar-be-que came from the Mid-South, a product of all those many men who escaped the South to avoid Alimony and child support payments in Memphis, Arkansas and Mississippi. And yes, I have eaten at those places you mention and they are excellent. However, most of Texas is bar-be-que cahllenged....

SKennedy
12-12-2007, 05:06 PM
As you know east Texas is probably more akin to the south, and certainly closer to southern cooking and traditions than the west. I mentioned those places knowing you may be familiar with them. I was just trying to jog your memory. I do love southern BBQ....and southern food in general. I am also thankful God gave me a high metabolic rate or I'd weigh 400 lbs or more!

pooltchr
12-12-2007, 05:52 PM
You poor boys...totally clueless.
I had the pleasure of introducing RandyG to a real taste treat when he was our guest for several days earlier this year. Between my wife's pot roast, and an outing to Carolina Country BBQ, I thought he was going to call home and tell his wife to pack the bags and move to Charlotte.
Y'all go ahead and think you are eating BBQ...those of us in the Great North State will take our secret to the grave! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Steve

Drop1
12-12-2007, 07:58 PM
Yep,we had a home in Glory land,that out shines the sun. Now,if we ever get together,we are going to have some Mexican food,real food of the people,by the people,not available in restaurants.

Drop1
12-12-2007, 08:10 PM
Say hello to the fool,but the banana has to be a macho.Sliced,and fried in butter,and rolled in sesame seeds,and dipped in thinned honey,and a touch of yellow lemon juice. I had that,at the Ritz hotel,in Taipei,and at a street stand in Zapopan MX. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Deeman3
12-13-2007, 08:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> You poor boys...totally clueless.
I had the pleasure of introducing RandyG to a real taste treat when he was our guest for several days earlier this year. Between my wife's pot roast, and an outing to Carolina Country BBQ, I thought he was going to call home and tell his wife to pack the bags and move to Charlotte.
Y'all go ahead and think you are eating BBQ...those of us in the Great North State will take our secret to the grave! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Steve <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">Steve,

If you have to boil your bar-be-que, you gotta call it something else. I attended a big bar-be-que in Spartanburg and had to hide my throwing the meat from the sandwich on the ground (to not be rude). A skinny, starving dog would not even eat it off the ground. Now, you may convince me that the dogs in SC have more manners than to eat off the ground but I suspect he would have eaten a couple of pounds of dirt if it had been a Memphis sandwich.

Spiderman, Chopstick help me out here..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif</font color>

SKennedy
12-13-2007, 11:06 AM
NC has great BBQ also!! They know how to eat well also!

SKennedy
12-13-2007, 11:13 AM
Mexican food is great. However, while most people like Tex-Mex, many do not like authentic Mexican food. And of course it varies dependent upon where you are from in Mexico. Tyler, Tx is full of churches (not the chicken place), mexican food places, and chinese food places....and at almost all of them (not churches) you can get chicken fried steak!

Chopstick
12-13-2007, 12:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> <font color="blue">If the boys from Tennessee had bothered to bring a Coleman's six pack with them to the Alamo, they would have had something to really fight for.
</font color> <hr /></blockquote>

LOL. Damn right! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

SC is definitely the most confused when it comes to BBQ. Oak for wood? That's just plain nasty and what's up with the sauce? When they ask you what kind of sauce you want they say "you want ketchup based or mustard based?" What? MUSTARD? In BBQ sauce??? What's wrong with you people? There is hope for them though. There's a Memphis style BBQ chain called Sticky Fingers that's opening up places in SC. There's two of them in Columbia right now.

As far as Texas goes, you'll have to forgive them. The settlers that first came to the Texas territory all came from Tennessee. They knew what they were supposed to do but they didn't have any hawgs. They had plenty of cattle so that's how that all got started along with using mesquite wood.

It doesn't surprise me at all that the best BBQ place in Texas is a Memphis style BBQ joint. Memphis is the Mecca of all BBQ on the earth. I get on my knees and bow to it every day at lunch time. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Florida, forget about it. There ain't none. I'm lucky to find grits in the grocery store. The whole damn state is full of yankees. They cain't even spell BBQ.

I finally got desperate and went out and bought a smoker. It ain't that easy though. You can't just throw some wood in a grill and come out with a Memphis class barbecue sandwich. It's gonna take me a long time to work it out but it's the only way I'm going to get any.

Fran Crimi
12-13-2007, 12:18 PM
From what I can recall, isn't it dangerous to put any kind of cooking device in your hands?

Fran

pooltchr
12-13-2007, 06:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> You poor boys...totally clueless.
Steve <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">Steve,

If you have to boil your bar-be-que, you gotta call it something else. I attended a big bar-be-que in Spartanburg and had to hide my throwing the meat from the sandwich on the ground (to not be rude). A skinny, starving dog would not even eat it off the ground. Now, you may convince me that the dogs in SC have more manners than to eat off the ground but I suspect he would have eaten a couple of pounds of dirt if it had been a Memphis sandwich.

Spiderman, Chopstick help me out here..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif</font color> <hr /></blockquote>

I don't accept any responsibility for what they do in South Carolina...If it wasn't for Myrtle Beach and cheap gasoline, I wouldn't have much reason to venture down there. We do ours over an open fire in a BBQ pit...no boiling allowed!
Steve

Drop1
12-13-2007, 07:23 PM
Hate those places. I can make a pulled pork sandwich from carnitas,-pieces of pork shoulder,that cooks in a sauce for about seven hours,put the pulled pieces of meat in a roll,that has been made in France,and Mexico,since the French invaded Mexico,cover the meat with a smoked three chile sauce,and if you tell me,its not fantastic,I will pay your ticket home.You can have Tex,you can have Mex,but that stuff has nothing to do with a chicken in a green sauce from south west Mexico. Now when it comes to variety of fine food,from around the world,no one can touch the U.S.

SKennedy
12-13-2007, 07:56 PM
I had a pork stew yesterday at an authentic mexican-style restaurant in Tyler (Don Juan's). It is great stuff! My wife would never eat it, but she'd sure eat Tex-Mex!

Chopstick
12-14-2007, 10:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> From what I can recall, isn't it dangerous to put any kind of cooking device in your hands?

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

Actually, I'm pretty good with a grill. Never had a problem. It's in the kitchen where things get dangerous.

Deeman3
12-14-2007, 10:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> Now when it comes to variety of fine food,from around the world,no one can touch the U.S. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> I have also been blessed with the opportunity to eat a wide variety of foods around the world. Like culture, you should try it all.

I do agree the U.S. has the best variety but the chains make it difficult for most to understand the really fine variety of foods out there. It is funny, most of the people that acompany me on trips abroad look for McDonalds, Kentucky Fried and Taco Bell as soon as they deplane. Makes you wonder why they go in the first place.

Sadly, most folks would not recognise real Chinese, real Mexican or real Italian if it was thrown in their face. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

We are also very lucky to have relatively safe food supply chain which is not as common in the reat of the world. I do believe you would not have to pay my plane fare back....
</font color>

SKennedy
12-14-2007, 05:46 PM
I lived in Japan for awhile. Food was great. My favorite dishes you can't find over here in the States. Some of the "real" foods overseas, or of different cultures, you would not want to eat. Or at least don't ask what it is.
I'll eat just about anything.....preferably not moving...

Drop1
12-14-2007, 10:31 PM
You might have been eating Posole,a pork,and hominy soup,that is popular around this time of the year. I love the stuff.

heater451
12-14-2007, 11:18 PM
Sorry, to jump in the middle, but I have to back steve up on this--NC has the best pork bbq around (whether you call it "bbq" or "barbeque", or "bar-be-que".

Texas might be better for beef, but I got too fond of California "tri-tip", when it comes to charred bovine flesh. . . .

And, of all the foods that Cali does well, bbq is it's weak point, although well-cooked carnitas is hard to beat for port. It just doesn't have any kind of sauce. However, I actually tend to like it when it just starts to overcook on the ends--just barely though, and only part of it--the main meat has to stay moist enough.

Georgia is passable, but I think "pulled pork" has become more of a marketing gimmick, and doesn't guarantee anything. The the kind I prefer here is that sort of sloppy-joe style, that you used to get in local haunts. It needs a touch of the greasy-spoon diner style. And I can't remember who said it, but I'm against mustard-based sauces as well (yuck!)

Hmmm. . . maybe it's all the bbg grills, causing global warming. And, the charcoal ones aren't to green either, but propane is just wrong.

I can't make up my mind, which state has the best baked beans, but they MUST have brown sugar in them---and preferable a huge chunk of fatty pork too! Bacon is acceptable--actually, bacon is goon anytime.

The jury is still out on chili, as I haven't really sampled enough. Suggestions?

========================

bradb
12-03-2009, 06:24 PM
I lived in San Antonio for 2 years and had a chance to sample some authentic Texas Red.

Having lived in Texas for some time I assumed I could withstand the heat with no difficulty but after my throat closed up and some degree of pain set in, I learned a new respect for real Chili.

It has no beans just chucks of beef, but the real secret ingredients (that each cook guards feircely) is the sauce they mix up, and of course its different blends of peppers, a hybrid habenero being a favorite. The preparation takes days of slow simmering until the mixture is just right.

This chili (what I could eat) was the best tasting chili I have ever tried and I wish I could have eaten more, but the pain was just too much.

Incidently the Red that took me out was one of the milder versions at the cook off.

Brad

Gayle in MD
12-04-2009, 08:04 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote pooltchr:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt;Dee,
Steve &lt;hr /&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

Steve,

As I have not been a resident of Arkansas for a while, my opinion may not count. However, I think he's a good man but may not have the base for a national run (no money, no political machine). He has a lot of Bill's "awe shucks" in him but is probably not near as smart or crafty.

I would fall short of endorcing him as I don't think he has a chance and Arkansas is still apologising for having provided one president too many.

I agree with Dick that Billy C. was one of our smartest presidents, with the poorest judgement outsdie politics, and may be able to drag Hillary along on his legacy. The new feminist formula; marry a smart guy, support him when he craps on your marrage, play off his popularity and claim to be a modern and independent woman...works for me...

What to expect if Huckabee becomes president? Unrelenting attacks against his Christian beliefs, horseshoes on the front lawn and a cooling of some spending. Unfortunately, he might become the Republican version of Jimmy Carter with no flying saucers in his past, a big chance for legislative lockdown/gridlock which I would find very attractive. The quality of Bar-be-que available in the White House would take a hugh step forward. &lt;img src="/ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif" alt="" /&gt; </div></div>

<span style="color: #000066">You only wish you had Hillary Clinton's intellect. She would make any man on this forum look like a retard if they had to match up to her intelligence. There isn't a single person in the political arena with her knoweldge, intelligence, and work ethic, not one.

Gayle in Md. </span>

Chilled
12-04-2009, 11:13 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What scares me the most about this letter is that this woman actually has the right to VOTE!!! &lt;img src="/ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif" alt="" /&gt; &lt;img src="/ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif" alt="" /&gt;

Can't we figure out a way to outlaw stupidity???

Steve </div></div>

Connie Meskimen is a divorce lawyer in Little Rock Arkansas with a penchant for writing sarcastic letters to newspapers. Even without knowing that the content of the letter could not be any more obviously tongue in cheek if it had provided brightly coloured signposts.

Since you bring it up, you would be justified in being fearful about the right to vote of anyone stupid enough to write the content of this letter in a serious manner. However no more fearful than anyone else should be about the right to vote enjoyed by anyone foolish enough to be prepared to jump to the conclusion that the content is serious when it so clearly isn't.

Can't we outlaw tunnel vision?

Chilled
12-05-2009, 12:07 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">don't forget the fact that not only the woman that wrote that, but somewhere at the newspaper somebody read the letter and thought it was good, and then an editor thought it important enough to publish it. And so on.

Forgot about daylight savings time. I was afraid that since it was getting dark and colder earlier in the day that we may have gotten too green... and somehow reverted to gobal freezing. Whew!

Sack </div></div>

Newspapers frequently publish letters which they recognise very well to be sarcastic or very much tongue in cheek. In addition in this case the letter writer already had a track record with them of submitting such letters.

If the newspaper is guilty of anything it is probably just carelessness as clearly the letter title should read "daylight exacerbates warming" not "warning".