PDA

View Full Version : Chalk contents

07-31-2002, 06:30 PM
Does anyone know what the components in billiard chalk are? Is this a secret?
Impressing if someone has got the answer.

Cueless Joey
07-31-2002, 06:41 PM
Let me check Jason's Googan dictionary here.
I believe it's made of lead and cillica (sp?).

rackmup
07-31-2002, 07:14 PM
Polyhydrosaturated elk by-products and silica-based hydrogenated wheat germ, all wrapped in a thin paper shell.

Served with rice pilaf and wheat grass soup, further complimented by a glass of mildly chilled Toasted Head chardonnay wine.

FYI- All of this information can be found at <font color=blue>www.marthastewartonpool.com</font color=blue> (click on "Martha's Pool tips and beef tips", scroll down past the "Martha Stewart Pool Aprons", click on "CANAPÈS and COMPOSITIONS", scroll to "recipes", click on "pool chalk".)

Bon Appétit!

Ken

Cueless Joey
07-31-2002, 07:18 PM
Ken, thanks for Martha's "inside" info.

cheesemouse
07-31-2002, 07:43 PM
Rackmup,
I grate my old chalks into my special chili recipes. In order to cut the chalkie after tastes I put in Hersey bars. Emmmmmmmmmhhhhh gooooood!!!!!! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Rod
07-31-2002, 09:35 PM
Primarily calcium carbonate. At one time a few years ago chalk was reported to have lead in the mixture. That would be when adding the dye. There was a flyer being passed out that stated such. It has been proven that lead does exist in some chalk and cases of lead poisioning in children from chewing on a cube of chalk. Tweeten Fibre Co denied that supposed rumor. I'm not positive of the year, about 1997 the green Masters chalk changed shades. It went from a darker tint to a lighter shade of green. I still have some new old cubes. One has to wonder if they got in trouble and changed the dye.

TomBrooklyn
07-31-2002, 09:44 PM
How about solid talc? Is that the same as baby powder (cornstarch, I think) with a binder?

Rod
07-31-2002, 09:49 PM
I don't know Tom but I'd think it to be a little fine. I think Tony mentioned the other day that baby powder has some type of oil in the mixture.

07-31-2002, 09:49 PM
Finely ground sand, pigment and binder.

Rich R.
08-01-2002, 08:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr> - All of this information can be found at <font color=blue>www.marthastewartonpool.com</font color=blue> (click on "Martha's Pool tips and beef tips", scroll down past the "Martha Stewart Pool Aprons", click on "CANAPÈS and COMPOSITIONS", scroll to "recipes", click on "pool chalk".)

Bon Appétit!

Ken <hr></blockquote>
Ken, is that right before the chapter on stock tips? Rich R.

Tom_In_Cincy
08-01-2002, 04:31 PM
Funny as it might seem. The current month's BD issue has a history of "Chalk" by Mike Shamos. There is a place in England called the "White Cliffs of Dover" one of the world's primary sources of chalk.. and also.. chalk and slate were (and may still be in some places) the primary tools for shools to teach.. co-incidence?

Rod
08-01-2002, 04:57 PM
Tom, yes they are the king's of chalk.

08-03-2002, 12:59 AM
Seems like most of you people are guessing. I've done som research and it looks like the chalk components is a well hidden secrecy. The Tweeten Fibre Company, manufacturers of the best chalk (Master), confirmes though that their chalk doesn't contain a speck of chalk. So you could say that billiard chalk is not chalk.
On http://www.cuecare.com/history.htm you can read:
"In 1892, William A. Spinks, a professional billiard player from Chicago, began working with chemists on the components of chalk. During a visit to Paris, he'd discovered a chalk unlike any in America, being used by players in France. Upon analysis, the chalk proved very different, grittier, made from an entirely different material. Encouraged by its ability to "grip" while shooting, he sought to develop a chalk with even more "gripping" power. In 1897, he was granted a patent for a billiard chalk—which did not contain a speck of chalk at all. It was comprised entirely of abrasives—silica and axolite— crushed to near-powder and air-floated, to exactly the right fineness."

nmshooter
08-03-2002, 02:47 AM
Hi Zeldon,
Complete book of Billiars states chalk as not actually being chalk (calcium carbonate) but rather composed of a gritty powder, usually silica, combined with a colorant and suspended in a fixative, all of which is baked in an oven.

They go onto list the major suppliers of chalk but dont list exactly what they all use. The "gritty powder" may be different with each. If I find anymore info on it I will let you know.

nmshooter
08-03-2002, 03:07 AM
Ive been searching thru patent records and have yet to find anything on chalk other than chalk holders, scuffers, etc. But did find an interesting patent for a "Hand-held power cue stick chalker and talcum powder dispenser" Here is the description.

A hand-held unit carries a cue chalk cube and includes a power source for oscillating the cue chalk cube in a substantially rectilinear path. On the other end of the hand-held unit from the cue chalk cube is situated a talcum powder dispenser. A file for dressing the cue tip is attached to the outside of the unit.

I was bored and decided to look into it and thought this was interesting. I dont think Ive ever seen one.