PDA

View Full Version : The trouble with Kyoto

Drop1
12-15-2007, 10:55 PM
GREENHOUSE GAS EMISSIONS:

"It recognizes that "deep cuts" in global emissions will be required to prevent dangerous human interference in the climate. It references scientific reports that suggest a range of cuts between 25 and 40 percent by 2020, but prescribes no such targets itself." The whole process produces nothing,is as it should be,when the advanced countries of the world are confronted with paying black mail from under developed countries not to cut their forests. I think GWB is right,to step back,until China will agree to join the Accord. There is no evidence,the efforts of man can reverse the warming,other than models of global warming tests,at designated ocean depths. Is there global warming-yes,is man responsible-some what,but much less than the hype-can it be stopped- no.Next round of talks 2009,to begin implementation in 2012. At this point,the only conclusion is,things are warming up. <font color="red"> </font color> <font color="red"> </font color>

LWW
12-16-2007, 04:07 AM
HEAR HEAR!

LWW

pooltchr
12-16-2007, 07:38 AM
I read an article the other day about an area where the polar ice caps are melting. Scientists believe the earth's crust is becoming thinner under the ice as a volcano is building toward the surface. The increased temperature is causing the ice to melt.

The earth operates in cycles. It always has. It is constantly changing on it's own. Radiation from the sun, volcanos, El Nino, etc are all products of nature. These things contribute to short term climate change far more than the emissions from your car. To believe that the human race is more powerful than the forces of nature is somewhat egotistical. If Al Gore wants to do something worthwhile, maybe he needs to work on a way to stop volcanos!

I'm not saying man doesn't have an impact on the environment...just that we aren't the primary cause of cyclical climate changes that have been happening long before we ever walked the planet.

Steve

S0Noma
12-16-2007, 09:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr>
I'm not saying man doesn't have an impact on the environment...just that we aren't the primary cause of cyclical climate changes that have been happening long before we ever walked the planet.

Steve <hr /></blockquote>

From where I sit it looks like our planetary climate is going through some major changes. I wonder what's behind the concern that we humans are not responsible? Not saying that we are or that we are not.

If we embrace the idea that we are, what does that mean economically? I mean, does it mean economic catastrophe? Would we have to change life as we know it? Stop or cut back on the activities that are allegedly creating the excess greenhouse gasses at the root of the problem?

What is the cost of accepting the popular argument that we are the cause of global warming?

hondo
12-16-2007, 10:07 AM
Here's my opinion as to whether we are responsible
for global warming: I don't have the faintest idea!
Hope that clears that up. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

moblsv
12-16-2007, 10:46 AM
The evidence is overwhelming.

Apparently it is easier to deny reality than it is to face the problem. It also seems that a population raised to believe with absolute certainty that there is an invisible man in the sky is particularly easy to convince of other fairy tales as well.

pooltchr
12-16-2007, 12:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote S0Noma:</font><hr>
What is the cost of accepting the popular argument that we are the cause of global warming?
<hr /></blockquote>

We can easily cut out mankind's impact on the environment...just stop all manufacturing, shut down all the power plants, eliminate all automobiles, stop harvesting trees for wood used for building homes, ground all aircraft, and take a giant step backward into the stone age. We have an impact on the environment just by existing. And even if we weren't here, there are still those pesky moose farts to consider! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Steve

moblsv
12-16-2007, 12:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote S0Noma:</font><hr>
<hr /></blockquote>

We can easily cut out mankind's impact on the environment...just stop all manufacturing, shut down all the power plants, eliminate all automobiles, stop harvesting trees for wood used for building homes, ground all aircraft, and take a giant step backward into the stone age. We have an impact on the environment just by existing. And even if we weren't here, there are still those pesky moose farts to consider! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Steve <hr /></blockquote>

IOW - The implications scare me so I'll deny it and attack the messengers.

SKennedy
12-16-2007, 07:31 PM
Just curious....Are you posting for Gayle? Is your moniker a pen name for Gayle? I see you have a boat too! Coincidence? I think not. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

moblsv
12-16-2007, 08:02 PM
no, but I appreciate the compliment. I would be proud to be associated with such a well informed patriot as Gayle.

bamadog
12-16-2007, 08:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote moblsv:</font><hr> no, but I appreciate the compliment. I would be proud to be associated with such a well informed patriot as Gayle. <hr /></blockquote>

Man, she had you fooled.