PDA

View Full Version : Billiard novels?

nAz
07-31-2002, 08:41 PM
Anyone know of any good billiard books i can read? I don't mean
lesson books, Im looking for stories fiction or nonfiction

PQQLK9
07-31-2002, 08:49 PM
http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=ccbboard&Number=20897& Search=true&Forum=ccbboard&Words=books&Match=Entir e%20Phrase&Searchpage=1&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main =20897

nAz
07-31-2002, 09:10 PM
Perfect... i missed that tread
Thank you

LC3
08-01-2002, 11:28 AM
One title that wasn't listed in that thread is Byrne's Book of Great Pool Stories. It's basically a compendium of billiards in literature, and most of the stories won't get your heart pounding the way Playing Off the Rail did, but it's still a nice read.

Willie's Game, Mosconi's autobiography, is out of print and hard to find, but grab it if you can. The chapter on Minnesota Fats in Jon Bradshaw's Fast Company is pretty interesting too.

Doctor_D
08-01-2002, 12:19 PM
Good afternoon:

Thank-you; for the question and the recommendations...

Dr. D.

nAz
08-01-2002, 01:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Doctor_D:</font><hr> Good afternoon:

Thank-you; for the question and the recommendations...

Dr. D.
<hr></blockquote>

Ditto
err first ill check the local libary, im too cheap to buy the books /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

08-01-2002, 01:22 PM

08-01-2002, 06:09 PM
Check out my web site www.doitforthegame.com (http://www.doitforthegame.com) I think you will enjoy this book if you are looking for books about hangin' at the room. I hope BD has a review this month!

Q-guy
08-01-2002, 06:49 PM
I think the two all time greats are, "The Bank Shot and Other Great Robberies" by Minnesota Fats and Tom Fox. And "McGoorty, Diary of a Billiard Bum" by Byrnes. They may be very hard to find though. Mostly only collectors have them. I don't think either are still in print.

08-01-2002, 09:47 PM
There's a great novel I read a while ago, I think the name of it was "McGorty, The Life of a Billiard Hustler". Best pool related book I have ever read. Lots of great stories.
You should check it out.....:)

08-01-2002, 10:35 PM
look in your local phonebook for used book stores, a very popular one is called Half Priced Books, i travel alot so i have seen that store many places. they have both used and new and are quite cheep. Also, if their is a book you would like, call or write the publisher directly, much of the time they are happy to send them out at no charge if there was little demand for the book.
~ontheroad

08-01-2002, 11:14 PM
You can't forget about the novels by Walter Tevis, though this may be overly obvious. He is the author of the books " The Hustler" and "The color of money" which were the basis of each respective movie. In Robert Byrnes collection of pool short stories, the short story "The Hustler" appears which was later expanded into the novel, and then made into the classic movie directed by Robert Rossen. There is also another story by Tevis in the book entitled "The Big Hustle." In addition the collection contains a couple stories from the Mcgoorty book. I would immediately read the story "De Oro's Bladder." This story is a riot. Alfredo de Oro is a pool genius.

nAz
08-01-2002, 11:26 PM
Yep most local libraries are pretty thin on most non mainstream books??? what ever lol anyway im sure i can find them all at the NYC main library on 5th and 42nd, but i
believe they are only for reference, and i prefer to read in bed...among other things
:P hehehe oh god i forget stop with the sexual innuendo's

08-01-2002, 11:35 PM
i cant believe nobody mentioned Playing Off The Rail by McCumber it was a great book

Barbara
08-02-2002, 07:47 AM
Robert Byrne published a collection of short stories, all of which are about pool. It's a great book and a must have for everyone's collection.

Another great book is John Grissim's "Heroes, Hustlers..." but this book is out of print and can be found on ebay occasionally.

Barbara

08-05-2002, 11:40 AM
There is an excellent review in the August "On The Wire" newspaper. You can order at 888-610-7665 or www.doitforthegame.com (http://www.doitforthegame.com)