PDA

View Full Version : GC IV, Metro, Diamond Professional, or other?

barker
12-16-2007, 09:35 PM
Hi - First post, I'll try to make it interesting. It is a "I want to buy a pool table" post. I have narrowed my choices down to a GC IV (probably used), a Diamond Professional, or a Brunswick Metro. I think all of these should be mainstream durable tables of high playability and longevity. My wife says "If we want furniture, we buy furniture. If we want a pool table, we buy a pool table." I love this woman!

Specific areas of interest:
- preferences among these 3
- obvious similar tables I may have missed
- specific comments on the Metro, since I have no playing time on it, in comparison to the other two
- if one stands out in either 8 ft or 9 ft (have room, haven't decided) in either good or bad ways

My assumptions and observations:
- I prefer the Diamond styling slightly above the other two, but any would be fine.
- The Diamond is all wood, the others are laminates (but so what, and laminates on what?)
- Does the Metro or the Diamond Pro have a screw slate leveling system like the GC IV??
- The Diamond and Metro would be new, the GC IV probably used, to put on an approximately even $$$. I've played on a GC V, but it is 9k in the 9 ft, and too new for sales / hefty discounts (according to the dealer).

I eliminated the Diamond Pro-Am since to me the ball return makes it look like a wooden bathtub, and no drop pocket version is available.

I eliminated the Olhausen Pro and any black laminate straight-apron tables since they are all ugly to my eye (for my home).

I'm talking to a local Brunswick / Olhausen dealer and cruising craigslist and the want ads.

Any advice would be welcome!

Artemus
12-17-2007, 05:18 AM
How about this as the other:

http://www.gabrielsbilliards.com/english/billiardtables/pool/poolbilliards.htm

barker
12-17-2007, 08:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Artemus:</font><hr> How about this as the other:

http://www.gabrielsbilliards.com/english/billiardtables/pool/poolbilliards.htm
<hr /></blockquote>
I like the looks a lot - appears very functional and player friendly. I assume it plays great also. Looks expensive, what do Gabriels American pool tables cost?

scaramouche
12-17-2007, 08:51 PM
Gabriels Signature Pro are sold by Diamond in the U.S.
Approx $5500 plus transportation plus setup by Diamond delivery staff

These tables used to be welded at the factory. Now they bolt together just like a wood table.

You may also be able to get a slighly used tournament table with new Simonis 86O - similar to the deals you can get on Diamond tables.

Don't forget to get a Diamond light, a third the price of a Brunswick /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Bob_Jewett
12-19-2007, 01:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote barker:</font><hr> ... I have narrowed my choices down to a GC IV (probably used), a Diamond Professional, or a Brunswick Metro. I think all of these should be mainstream durable tables of high playability and longevity. My wife says "If we want furniture, we buy furniture. If we want a pool table, we buy a pool table." I love this woman!... <hr /></blockquote>
I would get the Diamond of these. If you do get a Brunswick, I think you should look into getting the rubber changed out to Artemis or similar.

A friend of mine got a Diamond in cocobolo. He also has a jewel of a wife, and she likes to play pool.

Deeman3
12-19-2007, 02:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> <hr /></blockquote>
I would get the Diamond of these. If you do get a Brunswick, I think you should look into getting the rubber changed out to Artemis or similar.

A friend of mine got a Diamond in cocobolo. He also has a jewel of a wife, and she likes to play pool. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> If he is close and coming to Derby City he might get a deal on one of the nice Diamonds we play on. I think they are on the Derby city Website.

www.Derbycityclassic.com (http://www.Derbycityclassic.com) </font color> ???

Artemus
12-21-2007, 07:00 AM
http://diamondbilliardproducts.com/professional-pricing.htm

http://www.diamondbilliardproducts.com/pro-am-pricing.htm

I'd have to say that a couple of differences between the Diamond and Gabriel's has to do with the pockets and the way they're cut. A pro cut pocket on the Diamond is 4.5" and the pocket on a Gabriel's is 4.72 inches and the regular cut on a Diamond is larger than both. I think the Diamond cut angle is also a little different in that it'll spit out balls more easily unless your speed and aim is perfect. It isn't as player friendly for certain games.
Gabriel's were used in 2006 for the World 14.1 championships and the players loved them and had nothing but praise. In 2007 they switched to the Diamond and there were fewer high runs and some grumbling about the pockets. This isn't to say that the Gabriel's will accept any ball that's fired into them, they'll spit out also, but they're very fair. Each pocket on a Garbiel's will hold an entire rack of 15 balls and are quiet upon impact.
It has 1.25" thick slate and a steel beam that goes completetly around the bed for support.

Gabrie's come with Dymondwood rails and are optional with Diamond in additon to other choices. You can do just about anything to those rails and it doesn't matter. A large scratch can be sanded out and then gone over with a car buffer and it's just as shiny and good as new. You'd never know the difference. You will get permanent scratches in wood unless you eventually get the whole table refinished.

Some of the tables used in the 2006 14.1 Championship are still for sale through Diamond and that's all they were ever used for. One week they were put up and the next week they were taken down.

You can't go wrong with either table or a Brunswick as long as the pockets aren't the standard 5" or larger buckets.

barker
12-22-2007, 10:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Artemus:</font><hr>You can't go wrong with either table or a Brunswick as long as the pockets aren't the standard 5" or larger buckets.<hr /></blockquote>
I think I'm settled on an 8' Diamond Pro. I think I'd like the 4 13/16 pockets better than the 4 9/16 pockets, although the tighter pockets may be preferred by better players than me.

Artemus
12-22-2007, 10:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote barker:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Artemus:</font><hr>You can't go wrong with either table or a Brunswick as long as the pockets aren't the standard 5" or larger buckets.<hr /></blockquote>
I think I'm settled on an 8' Diamond Pro. I think I'd like the 4 13/16 pockets better than the 4 9/16 pockets, although the tighter pockets may be preferred by better players than me. <hr /></blockquote>

I think you'll be a very happy camper and you're correct, those 4 1/2" pockets can make the game not very much fun especially when they're cut a certain way to spit balls out on top of the small opening size. Post a picture when you finally get it installed.